Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Here's one I never imagined I'd ask

EricH

One of the Regulars
I was just given my grandfather's old spats. They are black and in perfect shape. I guess he was quite the dancer and ladies man in his day. I don't know the vintage, but he was born right at the turn on the last century so maybe 20's or 30's? Anyways, how do they work and just what would be the appropriate garb to go with them. Art, you know I think I might have just the hat for around that time if it wouldn't be too old;) Is it off the wall to think about pulling together some vintage clothes? I'm usually around a 43L at 6+ feet so I'm betting finding the real stuff might be tuff. On the other hand do I need another hobby? Eric

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Spats are appropriate with formal wear. Traditionally they were used to protect your shoes from the dangers of dirty streets.

Teacher

Familiar Face
EricH said:
I was just given my grandfather's old spats. [. . .] I don't know the vintage, but he was born right at the turn on the last century so maybe 20's or 30's?

They'd probably be '30's at the very latest, as they were quickly going out of fashion by then. As for when they're appropriate: when it's slushy or raining, and you don't mind getting a few prolonged looks. Wear them in good health!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran