Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remo

New in Town
Fur felt hats with leather sweat bands tend to shrink as they're worn due to the effects of heat & perspiration. Depending on the weather where you are, you might make a point of wearing the hat in the sun while engaged in some physical activity. If the hat does not shrink enough naturally, you could always slip something behind the sweat band such as a piece of paper or cardboard. Many vintage hats are found with paper currency tucked away back there!

Actually the hat might just shrink enough if you apply steam to get rid of the crease. Just make sure that the steam does not contact the leather sweat band directly.

There's nothing worse than a tight hat, so a hat that's a bit loose is preferable to that torture. Within reason of course.
I folded up 2 Ten Euro bills and it fits much better! Thanks for the tip.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Did he just use hairspray to stuff in the hat?!? Oh my. I wonder how well that works.
Johnny

In another video he explains the kind of Super Hold Hairspray to use , and why . He said you DON'T want something like Aqua Net that spits , you want an even spray , and use 4 X (coats) I think covering up the Sweat with something. He uses a Hat Jack .

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Did he just use hairspray to stuff in the hat?!? Oh my. I wonder how well that works.
Johnny

Unscented, extra/ultra hold hairspray does work to some extent but has two major drawbacks. Firstly, it is very water soluble, for obvious reasons, & so won't last long if the hat gets wet or is even exposed to high humidity. Secondly, the resins used are bio-degradeable & so break down after a few months anyway, leaving the hat limp again so will need regular spraying. Hairspray is totally useless for an outdoorsy hat but for a narrow brimmed dress hat that just needs a little help & you don't mind giving it a spray from time to time, it could be useful.

Last edited:

Remo

New in Town
Photo on 10-1-17 at 4.42 PM.jpg
Photo on 10-1-17 at 4.42 PM.jpg

viclip

Practically Family
My new Chatham Royal. I'm actually liking it more and more. Still annoyed that Stetson advertises a Stetson box for shipping.
The hat appears to be fitting well now, looks good on you. You could even wear the hat a bit lower i.e. closer to your ears if so desired, provided that the top of you head doesn't make contact with the crown.

Some here will disagree with me but I like Stetson. Now with that being said, a vintage Stetson is a lot better than the modern. I actually bought a Chatham in Caribou as my first non wool felt. I wear it to this day and love it! It is one of those I go to most often in my rotation. It is a Royal Deluxe.
Stetson often gets a bad rap here at the Lounge. I too don't hesitate to buy them when the price is right, and the fact that some of our friends turn their noses up at them just means we get them at lower prices. Alright by me.

Stetson often gets a bad rap here at the Lounge. I too don't hesitate to buy them when the price is right, and the fact that some of our friends turn their noses up at them just means we get them at lower prices. Alright by me.
I too buy new Stetsons but only if the price is less than 50% of retail. To pay full retail for higher end Stetsons is criminal as their price point is so inflated for the quality received. The felt is decent but to pay $275 for a hat with their generic black ribbon with the obvious tacked stitching does not make sense when you can get a custom for much less. Just send the picture of the Stetson to a custom hatter and get the exact match but at a much much better price customized to your taste not the mass market item.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I too buy new Stetsons but only if the price is less than 50% of retail. To pay full retail for higher end Stetsons is criminal as their price point is so inflated for the quality received. The felt is decent but to pay $275 for a hat with their generic black ribbon with the obvious tacked stitching does not make sense when you can get a custom for much less. Just send the picture of the Stetson to a custom hatter and get the exact match but at a much much better price customized to your taste not the mass market item.
And with a 100% beaver felt hat body.

Agreed. I don't think I've ever paid more than $90 for a new Stetson. I'm just saying that if you can buy them right they aren't terrible hats like some folks claim. Not to say some have not had genuinely bad experiences. Sometimes bad one get past quality control. I guess I lump them in with current production Borsalinos and get interested if the price is right.

RJR

Agreed. I don't think I've ever paid more than $90 for a new Stetson. I'm just saying that if you can buy them right they aren't terrible hats like some folks claim. Not to say some have not had genuinely bad experiences. Sometimes bad one get past quality control. I guess I lump them in with current production Borsalinos and get interested if the price is right.
+1

My three modern Stetsons ended up being wearable, daily driver hats. The Hemp Strat was a deal from my Haberdasher so I could pick a good one. A Excellent sage Strat tha was selected by @moontheloon from the pile. And a new Whippet that is going to be offered only in Japan that I was shamed:) into buying by @Bob Roberts . I like every one of them, but they do not come close to their vintage counterparts. The ribbons on each of them are the main pet peeve, probably will spend the money to have each fixed. Stitched are too ham handed.

26Aug17 Strat shaped side.jpg
5Apr17 Sage Strat side.jpg
7Sep17 Excellent Whippet side.jpg

Agreed. I doI got mike at NW Hats't think I've ever paid more than $90 for a new Stetson. I'm just saying that if you can buy them right they aren't terrible hats like some folks claim. Not to say some have not had genuinely bad experiences. Sometimes bad one get past quality control. I guess I lump them in with current production Borsalinos and get interested if the price is right.
My experience as well. My Stetsonians are good hats esp now that i had mike at NW Hats change the ribbons. With the discounted purchase I have $150 into each hat now

A Stetsonian is a Hat I'd buy at that price or less . I looked at a Tawny last night .
I picked up mine from Sewmaster53 on Ebay. They sell sample, remainders and I guess seconds of Stetson and Dobbs. Have not seen any Stetsonians listed for a while and now that they are discontinued might not arise again. Good hats, no issues, the fit is spot on. Just my usual bitch about the crap ribbon work.....a shame on such a decent felt

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I picked up mine from Sewmaster53 on Ebay. They sell sample, remainders and I guess seconds of Stetson and Dobbs. Have not seen any Stetsonians listed for a while and now that they are discontinued might not arise again. Good hats, no issues, the fit is spot on. Just my usual bitch about the crap ribbon work.....a shame on such a decent felt

Yeah , I have them as a saved Seller on eBay . JJ Hat Center only had Tawny still in stock (I guess) in my size . I keep thinking about calling the Outlet Store to see , but I'd rather get a display sample or 1st , not a 2nd , even though most I probably couldn't find the problem . Their modern tacking is irritating . Matt Deckard did an outstanding job in my opinion while he was there .

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
My three modern Stetsons ended up being wearable, daily driver hats. The Hemp Strat was a deal from my Haberdasher so I could pick a good one. A Excellent sage Strat tha was selected by @moontheloon from the pile. And a new Whippet that is going to be offered only in Japan that I was shamed:) into buying by @Bob Roberts . I like every one of them, but they do not come close to their vintage counterparts. The ribbons on each of them are the main pet peeve, probably will spend the money to have each fixed. Stitched are too ham handed.

View attachment 87981 View attachment 87982 View attachment 87983
Shamed! Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk