Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Door,

Don't lose hope! It took me some time and very diligent searches to find what I was looking for. This forum was a huge help in finding what I wanted as well. Never be afraid to get a beater as well. If the felt is in good shape and the fit is close that's all you will need for a good start. from there you can send it to someone like Art and have him work his special brand of magic on it and get a pretty snazzy lid in return.;)

I hope you find exactly what you need.

Cheers!

Dan

D00R

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
Door,

Don't lose hope! It took me some time and very diligent searches to find what I was looking for. This forum was a huge help in finding what I wanted as well. Never be afraid to get a beater as well. If the felt is in good shape and the fit is close that's all you will need for a good start. from there you can send it to someone like Art and have him work his special brand of magic on it and get a pretty snazzy lid in return.;)

I hope you find exactly what you need.

Cheers!

Dan

oh yeah i dont mind if there in poor shape i like them better that way.
i haven't even ventured out yet to look, only been on the internet talking to online hat stores with little luck..

what hat did you get, any pictures of you in it?
what do you think of the two hats above i like? the borsilino and the squatter?

D00R

One of the Regulars
here are two more hats another online store recommended...

hatsik1.jpg

doesnt the brim look HUGE on the brown one?? that looks to big. thats what im afraid of if i order one and up getting a pimp hat...but it says the brims are both 2 3/4 ??

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It's no great picture but here is one.
IG035.jpg

It's my daily wearer these days.

Here is a before shot. The photo actually makes it look better than it was.
IM000829.jpg

Art did a marvelous job with it to boot. I can't sing his praises enough.

Cheers!

Dan

Joedahat

New in Town
Hey Daniel, That's the exact hat he's looking for. Do I smell an offer?

Anyway, D00R, It's really more of how the proportions of the hat will look on you. Of the Trenton Hat, the crown is smaller and tapered, thus giving the brim a wider look. We carry a hat called "The Dillinger" which has a 2 3/4 inch brim and a full crown. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/joedahat/dillinger1.jpg It is shown with just a center crease, but it can be shaped the way you like. If you like I could pm more photos on Wednesday. Right now only available in black.

D00R

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
It's no great picture but here is one.
IG035.jpg

It's my daily wearer these days.

Here is a before shot. The photo actually makes it look better than it was.
IM000829.jpg

Art did a marvelous job with it to boot. I can't sing his praises enough.

Cheers!

Dan

that hat is awesome!
i think it looks better when its all worn out, to me it does.
what kind of hat is that?

D00R

One of the Regulars
Joedahat said:
Hey Daniel, That's the exact hat he's looking for. Do I smell an offer?

Anyway, D00R, It's really more of how the proportions of the hat will look on you. Of the Trenton Hat, the crown is smaller and tapered, thus giving the brim a wider look. We carry a hat called "The Dillinger" which has a 2 3/4 inch brim and a full crown. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/joedahat/dillinger1.jpg It is shown with just a center crease, but it can be shaped the way you like. If you like I could pm more photos on Wednesday. Right now only available in black.

I'd like to see more of that hat please.

Yeah i dont like when the crown is narrow. i like it wide so everything is proportioned.
will you get it in any other colors like light gray, or the color Daniel has?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
JJ Hat center is NOT a vintage hat shop. They only sell new hats, although they have a pretty large variety.
I think the style that looks most similar to Depp's in many pictures is the Borsalino Alessandria- thin ribbon, thin bound brim, tall crown. They should have new ones at JJ Hat Center.
If you want to visit some hat shops in NY, Bencraft Hatters in Brooklyn is also a good choice.

D00R

One of the Regulars
Mr. Rover said:
JJ Hat center is NOT a vintage hat shop. They only sell new hats, although they have a pretty large variety.
I think the style that looks most similar to Depp's in many pictures is the Borsalino Alessandria- thin ribbon, thin bound brim, tall crown. They should have new ones at JJ Hat Center.
If you want to visit some hat shops in NY, Bencraft Hatters in Brooklyn is also a good choice.

i want to check those stores out. i didn't know bencrafters was in brooklyn? thats awesome! at least i can try it on and see how it looks.

yeah i was really liking the borsalino alessandria, i hope i can get it in the right color, i could always add a custom ribbon to it, i was thinking about doing that.

as long as i get the right color and the hat is good i don't mind adding the rest.

and Stoney, im not liking that straw hat, the brim makes it look like an old ladies summer gardening hat..

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The hat I'm wearing in the picture is my Stetson Whippet. It's a light silver tan now but under the ribbon where is hadn't faded by the sun is a grey with a slight pink tone to it. The sweat band was all rotted out. The e-bay pictures showed some wear to the sweat, and when I got it in the mail it had deteriorated further.
I had sent it on to Art about a week after getting it and the leather dry rotted further, it was practically crumbling to the touch. What was interesting on the sweatband was the logos & names. Typically they are in gold, even on the older ones. This one thought had everything in copper. It's too bad that sweatband couldnt have been preserved, it made for a unique hat.
Art managed to match the original ribbon with the refurbishment. And sorry boys, you'll never be able to part that lid from me.;)

Cheers!

Dan

D00R

One of the Regulars
thats awesome you got the hat you wanted. it looks great.

do they still make Stetson Whippets New?

I really like it..

D00R said:
do they still make Stetson Whippets New?

I really like it..

If only we should be so lucky, and the current (apparently clueless) regime at Stetson should be so wise.
Lots of us really like Whippets, D00R, so the company you're in is plentiful, if not necessarily good. If Stetson (or another manufacturer) made a hat of a similar style -- meaning with a moderately wide bound-edge brim and a fairly tall vertical crown and a wide-ish ribbon -- I'd probably buy one at least once a year, provided they were of half-way decent quality and priced reasonably.
I can't speak for others, but for me a large part of the vintage hats' appeal is that they are generally better looking than the vast majority of what the big manufacturers offer us today. They are generally of higher quality too, of course, and they ARE historical artifacts (of a sort), which is also kinda cool.

D00R

One of the Regulars
they are nice hats.
i never understand why they don't give the people what they want..

mingoslim

Practically Family
If only . . .

tonyb said:
If only we should be so lucky, and the current (apparently clueless) regime at Stetson should be so wise.
Lots of us really like Whippets, D00R, so the company you're in is plentiful, if not necessarily good. If Stetson (or another manufacturer) made a hat of a similar style -- meaning with a moderately wide bound-edge brim and a fairly tall vertical crown and a wide-ish ribbon -- I'd probably buy one at least once a year, provided they were of half-way decent quality and priced reasonably.
I can't speak for others, but for me a large part of the vintage hats' appeal is that they are generally better looking than the vast majority of what the big manufacturers offer us today. They are generally of higher quality too, of course, and they ARE historical artifacts (of a sort), which is also kinda cool.

If Stetson, or anyone else, made a 40s style Whippet at a decent quality and a fair price, I would want one of every color!

D00R said:
are these companies out of business or something?

They might as well be to people like us looking for hats of vintage quality and style. :eusa_doh:
They aren't out of business. The problem is that they are part of a big hat making conglomerate called HatCo. Hatco only owns the name---not the history or any of the stuff from way back when. They sold off a bunch of the older stuff recently but it wasn't golden era stuff. It was just the cusp. That stuff was gone long ago.
So really, they have no connection to their past. The original factory is long gone and they moved everything to Texas as far as I know. I don't really keep up with what they are doing now. I will when they make something that interests me though. I have a feeling that is going to be a long wait. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

You're probably right, JP. I think it's safe to say that the largest segment of the hat market (real hats, not baseball caps and such) is the Westerns, so that's where Stetson et al focus their efforts.
That "dress" hats (yeah, yeah, there's gotta be a better word) have become a sideline and are regarded almost like costume pieces is evidenced in the names some of the mass manufacturers inflict upon their models. You know, the names of famous Depression-era bank robbers and lawmen and such (or characters from period-piece movies, such as Indiana Jones). It's as though their own manufacturers regard the hats as most appropriate for "theme" events and not everyday attire.
I say that if they don't care enough to take us (and their own product) seriously, there's no reason we should take them seriously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points