Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
So, my Fed IV D/L turned up.
I'm not sure about the Heritage Fawn part but fits fine and I quite like the shade. But in the hand it's more a green/blue than a brown as can be seen here.
View attachment 153879
And with my loden lawson alongside...
View attachment 153880
Wow. On my laptop the felt color doesn't look brown at all but definitely closer to the way you described it--sort of gray with hints of green and blue. It's the first time I've seen the Heritage Fawn photograph that color; usually it looks like more of a brownish gray. Interesting.

Wow. On my laptop the felt color doesn't look brown at all but definitely closer to the way you described it--sort of gray with hints of green and blue. It's the first time I've seen the Heritage Fawn photograph that color; usually it looks like more of a brownish gray. Interesting.

+1. On first glance I thought it was a oddly rendered bluegrass green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I would agree. I've never seen that color appear with those tints. I own an Akubra in the heritage fawn and I would consider it to be a grayish brown as well. I'm not sure if it is a result of a certain batch of felt, or due to the lighting/surroundings/camera magic, but I've never once looked at my hat and saw blue or green. I'll admit my eyes don't catch things right away. I'll put this one up there with the white dress dispute that occurred in social media a few years ago.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Here are two photos of my heritage fawn in different lighting. To my eye, the pic on the left appears gray, and the one on the right appears more brown. I will also add that the pic on the right is a more accurate depiction of the hat as I generally see it before it goes atop the dome.
52fe6d0a95e646abcf351d1eeed1d648.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
So, my Fed IV D/L turned up.
I'm not sure about the Heritage Fawn part but fits fine and I quite like the shade. But in the hand it's more a green/blue than a brown as can be seen here.
View attachment 153879
And with my loden lawson alongside...
View attachment 153880
I dig it! That’s a great color and the contrasting ribbon is classy!
Enjoy it, it’s most excellent!
Bowen

Cindy

New in Town
Does anyone know the specifics of a Saturno priests hat? How wide is the birm? How wide is the ribbon on the hatband? Does the brim have a bound edge?

BKM

New in Town
Hi Cindy. I wish I could be more helpful. I know of a priest in Prague that has one. He calls it a Cappello hat. Rounded at the top and wide at the brim, the hat to my eye looks similar to one offered at Daquino Hats made in Portugal. I asked him about this hat at a Tram stop where I chanced upon him. He said the hat is basically fur felt, always black, and made as a modest adornment ("like an umbrella on the head" to protect against the sun and the rain). I liked that hat on his head because he has a round face that seemed suited for such head-gear. Good luck on your search, and perhaps, one of our European hat aficionados can chime in and provide more specific information.

JohnS33931

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone.
I'm new here and am having a hard time deciding on a hat (I imagine all newbies do) - have a few questions that I’m hoping someone could help me with.
The two that I am deciding between are their Cattleman and Banjo Peterson models.
Are they made from the same type of fur felt or is one better quality?
Are the brims about the same in flexibility (I’d prefer that it doesn’t bend much in the wind)?
Does the bound edge on the Cattleman hold up better than the raw edge on the Banjo?
Will they both accept the Akubra chin strap?
Am I correct to assume the Cattleman would be better in warmer weather due to the vent holes?
I measure my head as about 58.5 - would it be wiser to go with the 60 and use filler strips - I have always bought xl in less precise measured (inexpensive) hats and am thinking it would be better to start a little loose rather than too tight?
Sorry about so many questions,
Thank you for your time!

Max Anderson

New in Town
I found a Borsalino Calvino at a local hat shop for $300. However, it is available on hats.com for $160.

I cannot find any information about this hat other than the description below. There is no mention of it on the Borsalino site.

Does anyone know about this hat? It is unlined, has a fabric head band and is an open crown. But, it seems inexpensive compared to other Borsalinos.

The description is:
"The Calvino Open Crown Fedora allows you to create a truly custom piece by shaping the crown and brim with your own hands. The fur felt Calvino gets all the careful attention that every Borsalino hat receives, but has a totally open crown that is easily manipulated to form the exact look that you desire. Details include a sleek, skinny grosgrain ribbon hatband and a medium 2 1/4" brim. Made in Italy."

Feetlebaum

New in Town
Hello people. I'm a newbie around here. I'm dropping in to ask for help dating and pricing a small collection of five hats. Three Borsalinos, a Knox and a Dobbs. I can provide specific measurements, but between them brim sizes range from 1 1/2" to 1 3/4", and open crowns range from 4 3/4" to 5 1/2". I'll drop a photograph of each...

sjh2ny9.jpg

6PPSjRN.jpg

oGvwW4a.jpg

Z43dTIE.jpg

selj9jq.jpg
1 to 3 are Borsalinos. 4 is a Dobbs and 5 is a Knox. My guess is that these are post-WWII hats, from the '50s or the '60s? I found toilet paper stuffed in each sweatband, to pad them out of course, and some of it was pink. While I'm not nearly old enough to remember, I think pink toilet paper was a thing in the '50s and '60s?

Some of these hats are in a condition superior to the rest. But if anyone could give me a ballpark going price for these hats (or even better, for each hat) I'd greatly appreciate it. I would likely sell them here, in the classifieds sub-forum. Apologies if this post is inappropriate for this thread.

Edit: Hopefully the pictures are showing now...

Last edited:

Mark70

New in Town
I measured my head three times with a cloth tape and averaged out at 58.7. Did some reading up on this forum prior to purchasing my Stylemaster and found out its typical the leather sweatband will shrink slightly when its broken in, so I went with a 59. When it arrived, tried it on and it was a bit loose. It came with foam strips to place in back of the sweatband but found I didn't need to use them. I'm still "breaking it in" and have found the sweatband is starting to conform to my head just fine. With that in mind, I'm thinking you'll be safe going with a 59.

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I am NOT one of the great bat historians here on the lounge but it my take a few pics of the liner and any significant text or logos on the sweatband and/or the reorder tag (usually under the sweatband or liner) to come up with a date on these.

Hello people. I'm a newbie around here. I'm dropping in to ask for help dating and pricing a small collection of five hats. Three Borsalinos, a Knox and a Dobbs. I can provide specific measurements, but between them brim sizes range from 1 1/2" to 1 3/4", and open crowns range from 4 3/4" to 5 1/2". I'll drop a photograph of each...

sjh2ny9.jpg

6PPSjRN.jpg

oGvwW4a.jpg

Z43dTIE.jpg

selj9jq.jpg
1 to 3 are Borsalinos. 4 is a Dobbs and 5 is a Knox. My guess is that these are post-WWII hats, from the '50s or the '60s? I found toilet paper stuffed in each sweatband, to pad them out of course, and some of it was pink. While I'm not nearly old enough to remember, I think pink toilet paper was a thing in the '50s and '60s?

Some of these hats are in a condition superior to the rest. But if anyone could give me a ballpark going price for these hats (or even better, for each hat) I'd greatly appreciate it. I would likely sell them here, in the classifieds sub-forum. Apologies if this post is inappropriate for this thread.

Edit: Hopefully the pictures are showing now...

I have no expertise in dating vintage Borsalinos but I have just sold off a bunch of my collection (1940's through 1970's) through Ebay. In my view Ebay gives you an accurate price for things as it is an auction open to the world. The Borsas that you have are nice hats but in my experience the stingy brims reduce the price greatly. That style of hat just does not command much in today's market. This is true for the others as well.

I would venture in the $50 to $75 range if they are in a 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 size range (mine were 7 3/8). If they are in a smaller size the price will be much closer to the low end of the range or less. I have picked up some nice Borsalinos with narrow brims in small sizes for my wife $25-$30. You may want to list on Ebay with a floor price and roll the dice.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
...what he said...

Short brims do not usually bring high prices in today's market.
I have no expertise in dating vintage Borsalinos but I have just sold off a bunch of my collection (1940's through 1970's) through Ebay. In my view Ebay gives you an accurate price for things as it is an auction open to the world. The Borsas that you have are nice hats but in my experience the stingy brims reduce the price greatly. That style of hat just does not command much in today's market. This is true for the others as well.

I would venture in the $50 to $75 range if they are in a 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 size range (mine were 7 3/8). If they are in a smaller size the price will be much closer to the low end of the range or less. I have picked up some nice Borsalinos with narrow brims in small sizes for my wife $25-$30. You may want to list on Ebay with a floor price and roll the dice.

Mark70

New in Town
Hello everyone.
I'm new here and am having a hard time deciding on a hat (I imagine all newbies do) - have a few questions that I’m hoping someone could help me with.
The two that I am deciding between are their Cattleman and Banjo Peterson models.
Are they made from the same type of fur felt or is one better quality?
Are the brims about the same in flexibility (I’d prefer that it doesn’t bend much in the wind)?
Does the bound edge on the Cattleman hold up better than the raw edge on the Banjo?
Will they both accept the Akubra chin strap?
Am I correct to assume the Cattleman would be better in warmer weather due to the vent holes?
I measure my head as about 58.5 - would it be wiser to go with the 60 and use filler strips - I have always bought xl in less precise measured (inexpensive) hats and am thinking it would be better to start a little loose rather than too tight?
Sorry about so many questions,
Thank you for your time!

Keep in mind this is merely one man's opinion and based on a single hat experience. There are others on this board who have purchased several Akubras and have had varying results. Do take a look at the Akubra Overload thread on this forum; you'll get a lot of good information there.

BTW, Welcome to the Fedora Lounge!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk