Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi to the good guys and a few questions

flyingdoctor

New in Town
First posting and it is a pleasure to find a bunch of Flying Jacket enthusiasts after all this time. Like several people here I believe you can never have enough flight jackets. I have wonderful beaten up A2 style (handwarmer pockets) I got in Korea and 4 Irwin style Sheepskin flying jackets. One is over 30 years old (I bought it in Ireland when I was 17), but doesn't fit now. The wife wears it occasionally. It is an amazing, thick, warm almost indestructible coat which saw me sleep in hedges, in cars and lord knows where else during my wanderings around the world. I bought a brand new identical one in Scotland in the summer last year which fit with a t-shirt but now in the winter and 18 months and a load of American chocolate later, it doesn't. (I'm Irish and I fell in love with Hersheys chocolate when I moved here.........). I also bought a larger black sheepskin one but it's just a bit too big. The one I wear at the minute I got in korea 5 years ago. It was made in Australia and is nothing like the quality of the other 2 Irwin style ones from the UK. I guess i should take some photos sometime as it seems you guys like pics :)

Anyway I digress......... I'm now looking for a good A2 or G1 to wear during the colder Chicago winters. My preference is for an A2 but the G1 are tempting. I'd like a horsehide but I really want handwarmer pockets (sorry I'm not much of a traditionalist when it comes to cold fingers and I'm used to the handwarmer pockets in my Korean A2. I haven't found anyone who does an 'off the shelf" so to speak horsehide with handwarmers and I don't want to spend megabucks getting one specially made.

The other problem I have is getting conflicting info on the weights of leather. I want the jacket to be heavy, but heavy due to leather rather than filler and insulation, that's why I've considered horsehide. I believe that the next heaviest is cowhide, then goat then lambskin. Is that correct? I've seen some info saying that you can get lambskin from 2.5 to 3mm thick. Which seems pretty thick and heavy to me.

I'm only 5.8 and 180 pounds - it's the chocolate I tell ya :rolleyes: and going by my measurements it seems that a 44 should be the right size. I'm also long in legs and short in back so a 26 rather than a 27 length back would be better but I have found that it can be a crap shoot ordering anything over the internet. I did a search today and have found 2 places which sell jackets near here. One is selling a Tomahawk A2 for $199 (Cooper I believe made them) and another place advertising a Schott naked cowhide 4 in 1 for $329. I'll call them in the morning and if open tomorrow or Thursday and they have them in stock, it's off to try them on. The Schott seems to be a cross between an A2 and G1 but looks nice.

Anyone have any experience of either jacket or any other advice regarding the type of leather you would recommend. I keep fooling myself that this is going to be the last flight jacket I'll buy .... yea right:eusa_doh:

I've been trawling through the lounge for days and I'm amazed at the info here. I'm so glad I found it as now I have some ideas about suppliers and what to look for.

Thanks guys. Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you all.

Pete

greyhound68

A-List Customer
I would take a look at ebay there are a lot of G-1s on there which can be purchased at a reasonable price. I would suggest probably a 44 or 46 for your size. Check the measurements and if not listed ask. You might also look at VLJ
http://cornellsurgery.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php
They have a buy sell area and sometimes there are some good prices for jackets there. Good luck.

flyingdoctor

New in Town
Thanks for the reply. I called the places which advertised the Schott and Tomahawk and none are in stock, so I guess I won't be trying on any of them. There is an Army Navy place which has Golden Bear A2 jackets so I'll take a trip and see what they are like. The quest continues :)

Pete

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
Geeeeeeeeee-ONe

if you are looking for milspec, and want handwarmer pockets, you might think it ain't gonna happen, however, two points to consider...

first, milspec requirements changed in 1996, allowing the handwarmer pockets on milspec a-2 jackets...but i'd go with an actual milspec, that has the contract and drawing number on the tag...as for warmth, i have not really found a-2s to be much help in the warmth dept...i'm here in LaLaLand (l.a. california) and last night it was around 50 with winds blowing...my new, heavier leather a-2, milspec, got me the 80 yards from the parking lot to barnes and noble to buy a new french press coffee maker cup (neat items) and back to the car...heavier leather, no insulation, did well with the wind, and the cold for 90 seconds, but i wouldn't want to hang out in chicago cold much in it

second...uswings makes a jacket i got 5 years ago, the g-1 milspec for the coast guard...it is totally milspec, has the uscoastguard perforations in the windflap, is nice thicker leather, handwarmer pockets for the coast guard use, and a tight and high strap (as all g-1s) to wrap that mouton collar high around the neck

i used that standing in on the movie 'swat' all night long in cold downtown l.a. weather, think it was high 40s, and it did pretty well...and, it's a stunning jacket...especially for the price...

as i mentioned in another post however, uswings milspec sizes run large, about the same size as civilian sizes...if you do go for one of their jackets, i'd take that into account...even their sizing chart seems to give sizes that will be a full half size larger (and that's taking into account milspec sizes)...i mention that because you had a size concern...good thing is that, as with mostly all sellers, if you just try the jacket on, and it doesn't fit, and you send it back for another size, they will honour that

good luck
johnnyjohnny

flyingdoctor

New in Town
Thanks again for the info. I found another Army / Navy place yesterday and they had a bunch of jackets from Schott and Cooper. The standard Cooper A2 fit pretty well with a size 2, but the quality was nothing in comparison to the Schott, but of course the Schott were a bunch more expensive. I fell in love with a Schott 184SM. Wow what a super jacket. Horshide, thick but still subtle. perfect length and size. even with the insulation removed it fit great over a sweater so I think it is the way to go. There were a couple of other Schott jackets but unfortunately they didn't have the right size to try on. I'll have a look around a bit more but I think the Schott is what I'll plump for.

Pete

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
If you are looking for some thick horsehide, U.S. Authentic (flightjacket.com) can get you there. I've got their russet horsehide A-2 and it is THICK stuff. I took it to work and used a vernier caliper to measure the thickness and in some places it was nearly 5 ounces! It softens up nicely over time though.

They are an internet-only business though but they have no problems with returns. Just something to consider.

Noel

kevinblack

New in Town
See my recent post on Gibson $ Barnes Civil A2.

Couple of comments. The goatskin is quite heavy, as heavy as cow, I was quite surprised when I got the A2 last week. It is the same as the current USAF issue A2, but with handwarmer pockets and inside wallet pocket. Price is about $308 or so. I got it with the zip out thinsulate lining (bout 50 or 60). Total with tax was about US$400.

Workmanship excellent, size (for me 46R) prefect, leather superior.

I note someone on VLJ selling an as new G&B Civil A2 for under $300.

I procrastinated for several months before going with G&B and am really happy I did. It just needs to cool down 30 degrees centigrade before I get to wear it.

Cheers,
Kevin

kevinblack

New in Town
Forgot to mention, theres a thread on VLJ regarding breaking in FQHH leather A2. It is a process that takes (according to the posts) from months to years. It would be something that I'm not into. The hide is tough and some report bruising, just reporting what has been said.

Further, my understanding is that veg tanning adds to the lack of suppleness, that from the G&B catalog.

Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda