Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Recommedation: "Legend of 1900"

Sergei

Gone Home
In the office here, someone recommended me watch this film. It dawned on her, that I would really like this film since it's based on a pianist, on board a transatlantic ocean liner ship, during the early 1900's, it portrays America in a good light (that's rare) and there are tons of fedora's in the picture. And the kicker is, the plot is great. The movie is "Legend of 1900". Tim Roth is the lead and what a great job he did which is far different from his acting with Tarantino - complete 180. I won't reveal too much of the plot. The principle character is found abandoned on the first day of 1900 on a grand piano in the ballroom of the "Virginian" Ocean Liner. He never leaves the ship his whole life. The rest of the story you have to see for yourself. A great performance, wonderful script, very original scenes and wonderful music score. There is a tremendous duel between Tim Roth's character and a famous jazz pianist on board the ship. It's the most original duel I have seen. The following picture is from that scene. Wow.
AU24_1_40-vi.jpg

PDVD_028-vi.jpg

The other principle is Pruitt Taylor Vince who guides us through this story. He's the trumpet player.
PDVD_024-vi.jpg

AU24_1_42-vi.jpg

AU24_1_41-vi.jpg

I have read the reviews on "Rotten Tomatoe". You either love it or just put up with it. But for me & I think most of you here; ocean liner, early 1900 set (mostly 20's and 30's), music and FEDORA's.

50m-vi.jpg

Try it and rent it. I am buying my DVD today ( I borrowed it for last night). Just curious to see if anyone has seen this before? It came out in '98.

-Sergei

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yes, excellent movie. It's the only DVD that I have that I've been able to copy to VHS with my DVD/VHS combo player. I sent Indiana Dan a copy a while back but I don't think he's watched it yet; so you CA guys need to harp on him to do watch it as I'm sure he'll love it with his love for piano and the time period. Great movie IMO! A must see.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I finally caught this film on IFC the other day and I couldn't resist dusting off this old thread. Really a great film. I liked it so much I picked up the DVD today at Tower Records.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana