Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Waisted Pants

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do any of you guys know if anybody makes high waisted, or Hollywood style pants (no waistband, dropped beltloops)? I have dozens of vintage pairs, but I was just curious if there was anything new out there. I don't mean repro zoot pants with the super pegged leg, I mean nice slacks! Ralph Lauren's RRL label from several years back made some, but that's the last (and only) time I've ever seen them made new. And oh yeah, I'm almost embarrassed to say, but I recall that International Male used to have them too! flat-top

flat-top

I have a few pairs of the Lauren pants--do any of you guys remember the RRL stuff?? It was amazing, 30's-40's inspired, and SUPER expensive! And believe it or not, International Male used to have great two-tone shoes several years back, which is how I stumbled across it! No bannana hammocks for this kid! flat-top

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
When Halloween is over this year, I hope to have some pic's of my costume to post, much of which I purchased from International Male. And I'm not homosexual! Or even metrosexual. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
great site for pants

This site makes great repros. I was searching around for a ladies' evening gown and came across site. They make a 30's wide legged pant, a zoot suit pant and a more traditional high-waisted pant. The prices are kinda high, but they look good. I plan on ordering a pair of the traditional 40's pant for my husband for Christmas.

http://www.revampvintage.com/index1.html
kamikat

flat-top

Has anybody out there ordered from these guys? I like some of the pants, but how's the quality? Are they "real" pants, or are they costume-y? flat-top

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I know Annamarie personally flat-top and she is top notch!! I think she is back from her wedding in Europe or at least will return soon so give it another week and she will I'm sure answer all your questions.
When dealing with repro's the biggest problem is the fabric. Getting fabric in the correct weight and weave is virtually impossible so the items are going to be authentic in tailoring but to the experts eye will be a little off. So, the question is , do you want absolute authenticity or style? In menswear there are but a handful ( relatively speaking) of experts so I personally would opt for style.
Good luck

wharrell

New in Town
Source for Vintage 30s - 40s Cut Trousers

Gentlemen:

I am new on here, so please pardon this question if it has been discussed in another topic that I may have not yet located.

I am looking for some of the volumous generous cut pleated men's trousers from the 30s - 40s era such as the type Matt has often shown in his photos. I have some great sport coats but they would be set off much better with some authentic trousers. 10 years or so back, Ralph Lauren may have had few, but anything locally here in North Carolina anything today is just impossible to come by.

Are there any other sources to find such other than a rare find on Ebay. Even there, the pickings seem to be very thin. I am 6'4 215 so I typically neat a 38 or perhaps 40 waist cut my tall athletic frame.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers to a good weekend !

wharrell

New in Town
My best luck has been with the Bill's Khaki Lmitied Edition Line of Calvary Twills in worsted wool, their dressier cotton tweeds, or dressier cotton/wool twills.

Bills Limited Edition Line

The MI and M1P (Pleated) have the benefits of the super long rise, full deep forward pleats, and volumous pockets. They do great with a 1.5" cuff.

I give my tip of the hat and highest recommendation on the Bill's Line.

Cheers.

matei

One Too Many
High-waisted trousers?

Hello again!

Question on high-waisted trousers...

As I am a man with ah, emm... a little extra in the midriff section... I don't think high-waisted trousers particularily flatter my shape.

Were simillarly shaped gents during the Golden Era stuck with the high-waisted trousers, or was there some variance?

Sorry if this question comes across as inane, I am just curious!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I find that now that I have lost some weight lower wasted trousers look better on me than they used to. They had waists high and low, and high waisted is not for everyone. I have pictures of my Grandfather in the late 30's wearing low waisted pants with suit coat. It depends on your body shape. I am more comfortable in high waisted pants, some men aren't.

Most of the big name stars of the era were long in the waist and high waisted pants accentuated their figures.

The 1930's were the time that the higher waisted look really took hold and part of that is because of the movie code which did not allow belly buttons to be shown on screen. Higher waisted pants were the standard in the pictures and they became the standard on the street.

matei

One Too Many
Thanks for the very informative response.

One of the reasons that I ask is that most of my off-the-rack suits are rather high waisted. However, when I was measured for my bespoke suits the tailor convinced me to go with a lower waist than I normally would've chosen.

He was correct, as they look better than I would've expected. It depends on the suit as well I guess.

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Extra Padding

Gents,
I have seen a number of movies where men with a bit more center than most, wear High Waisted trousers brilliantly. Watch any Abbot & Costello film, or Marx Brothers flicks, and many many more from the 30's-50's, and you'll see my meaning. And I've had about 20pairs custom made for me, exact replicas of a mint pair of originals from the 40's. High waists, short ties, and shiney shoes, what could be better? .... Oh yes seamed stockings clutched on ones arm!
Tails Up!
ShanghaiJack

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Back 'then', men used to wear braces for the most part- braces work with big bellies and high waists- nothing to constrict the waist. High-waisted trousers go back, way, way back into clothing history. I guess part of the deal with lower waisted trousers is belt-wearing- and the trousers being able to sit on your hips- using your hips as a place for the trouser waist to sit and the belt to keep them there.
And yes it can work both ways- if you have an apparent large gut below the waistband, on a higher waisted trouser, it can look weird. It depends if you have a high or low gut...

BT.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...I digress...

I just tried on a pair of NOS Swedish Army fatigues- heavy Sanforized cotton OD/gray twill from the late '40s, no waistband, single back double-lined pocket, button fly(the fly measures 13"!), brace buttons - and for them to fit correctly in the crotch and rear, the waist comes up to around my ribs. Admittedly, the waist is 41", a few more than I currently need but if they sit on the waist, they look stupid shapeless- but pull them up and you can see the sense- fit in the crotch and be-hind, then straight down all the way for 35"- dead straight and wide from the hips down. Those were the days- when you didn't wear trousers 2" smaller than your waist size and use your gut to hold them up. Vintage cloth can't be beaten or matched either- this Sanforized cotton twill is a little coarse and has a hard, crisp handle to it. Fabrics like this can't be got today it seems... A lot of the re-enactor repro vendors say that their 'custom milled' cloth stands up but, in fact not much of the repro stuff does- especially the woven cottons- although they have customer appraisals saying that the cloth is 'identical to the original'- I beg to differ- it seems some people just can't tell the difference... WW2 USMC HBT cloth for example, is tough to duplicate and I haven't seen a spot-on copy yet. The repro stuff always has a 'nap' to it, the vintage article is dead flat and hard finished...

Anyway, for my tie to fall short of the trouser waist, it'll have to be about 10" long from the knot...he...hehehe...
...no tie with these pants then.

BT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112