Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Bros Chevalier bis

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
My experience with Himel started slowly.
I sent an email in May 2017, asking for more information about the jacket and the ordering process, and started waiting.
In February 2018 i receved a short answer "Are you still interested in the Chevalier?", "Yes i am" was my answer!
This was pretty much how my entire exchange with Himel went, Dave is a man of few words, don't expect to receive lengthy emails!

Once we had gotten the ball rolling, everything went very smoothly (and much faster).
I sent Dave 9 pictures, 3 of me in a tight rash guard, 3 wearing my Bootlegger and 3 wearing my J-100 (each set was front, back and side view). I included all my measurements, and both jackets measurements. And let him pick and choose what he needed from that.
I also sent him a picture showing five jackets made of Shinki photographed together (thanks TMitchel) and told him which shade i liked best.
Other than a couple small details, like the single row of holes on the belt, and the lining, i left him to do his thing. By the end of march my jacket was made and shipped.

I have to say, that this is IMO my best fitting jacket yet (8th jacket), i asked Dave and he said that the pattern was 100% custom according to the numbers i provided. He definitely has the eye when it comes to fitting a jacket! The only other piece of clothing that feels that good on me is my tailored three piece suit, and i was literally laser scanned for that one!

The stitching is very nice and neat, the triple stitching is very even and there isn't anything noticeably wrong anywhere on the jacket. If you go full OCD you will find things, but nothing i haven't seen on other jackets before.
The stitch count is much smaller than Aero or Schott, and the needle holes and thread much thinner too. It feels less "industrial" and a little bit more refined, along the lines of what you would expect from ELC or Lewis Leathers.

The hide is what you would expect from Shinki, nice and supple, thinner than CXL, great grain, no break in, and a very interesting colour that really responds to lighting conditions in interesting manners.

The lining is Japanese blanket, it is nice and soft, it feels close to Aero Strome weight tartan in thickness, but a lot softer and airier (not as tightly woven).

Picture time, the colour in these is as accurate as i can get them, and i will soon create a new thread with all my jackets together to show how it compares to brown CXL, to compare colour, grain, fit etc...

TZ7oIdW.jpg

EvR3AJ9.jpg

RGiO56n.jpg

WrrMPjK.jpg

Fit pics, it works well both opened and closed, and can be worn with the collar up or down.

zZPHLEH.jpg

tby0M0e.jpg

4laPj1s.jpg

9x6kcpE.jpg

This really fits amazingly well, i have literally no restriction of movement whatsoever.
It hangs well, doesn't pull on my neck, doesn't choke me when i sit down, i can reach up, down, forward, the underarm gussets are super discrete, but very effective.
Even though the armholes are super high and snug, they don't feel restrictive.

Overall, i am very happy with my Himel Chevalier.
The only slight negative is the long delay to respond when i first got in touch, other than that this has been a completely flawless experience.
There is a lot of talk about the "is it worth it" question regarding Himel, GW and other makers in these price range, and a bit of a cult following...
This jacket costs more than both my Bootleggers combined. From a purely technical point of view, it isn't twice as "good" as an Aero, but it fits me much better than any Aero or any other jacket has ever fit me, and that has to be worth something.

Would i do it again? Without hesitating a second!
I'm not going to go on a "Himel is the best and only his jackets are worth buying" spree, but i am definitely very impressed by what he has done, and would recommend him without hesitation.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Just in case my method can help someone in the future, this is what i sent him.

6r6SXEA.jpg

IlUrBpF.jpg

ljYFBj6.jpg

9akencB.jpg

C0GmupN.jpg

MYdVq2h.jpg

DFiUbRY.jpg

UaWVCge.jpg

UaWVCge.jpg

DC J-100 Black Shinki:

Pit to pit: 23"
Back length: 27”
Front length: 24.5"
Bottom hem measured from side to side on closed jacket: 20”
Shoulders: 19"
Arms length:27”

Aero Bootlegger Brown CXL:

Pit to pit: 24.5”
Back length:26”
Front length: 22”
Bottom hem measured from side to side on closed jacket: 20”
Shoulders: 19.5"
Arms length:26.5”

All the rest was left to him.
I think that in the future, rather than tell a maker what measurements i expect on the finished jacket i will let them do their thing.

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful jacket and a great fit! It really shows he adjusted the jacket perfectly to your body. The taper from chest to hem, combined with fairly broad shoulders for such a slim jacket is something Aeros patterns cannot compete with (Aeros fitting is great for what you pay, don't get me wrong, it's just a different league price-wise and that shows in execution). Reminds me of my Langlitz jackets fit-wise, just in prettier leather and a much more elaborate design. Congratulations on that one!

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
You're right it's your best fitting jacket!

Congrats, it's a beauty.
My experience with Dave went similary: a few photos with my Pegasus, my body measurements, the jacket measurements and Dave did his magic.

Last edited:

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I sent an email in May 2017, asking for more information about the jacket and the ordering process, and started waiting.
In February 2018 i receved a short answer "Are you still interested in the Chevalier?", "Yes i am" was my answer!
This was pretty much how my entire exchange with Himel went, Dave is a man of few words, don't expect to receive lengthy emails!

Once we had gotten the ball rolling, everything went very smoothly (and much faster).
I sent Dave 9 pictures, 3 of me in a tight rash guard, 3 wearing my Bootlegger and 3 wearing my J-100 (each set was front, back and side view). I included all my measurements, and both jackets measurements. And let him pick and choose what he needed from that.
I also sent him a picture showing five jackets made of Shinki photographed together (thanks TMitchel) and told him which shade i liked best.
Other than a couple small details, like the single row of holes on the belt, and the lining, i left him to do his thing. By the end of march my jacket was made and shipped.

I have to say, that this is IMO my best fitting jacket yet (8th jacket), i asked Dave and he said that the pattern was 100% custom according to the numbers i provided. He definitely has the eye when it comes to fitting a jacket! The only other piece of clothing that feels that good on me is my tailored three piece suit, and i was literally laser scanned for that one!

The stitching is very nice and neat, the triple stitching is very even and there isn't anything noticeably wrong anywhere on the jacket. If you go full OCD you will find things, but nothing i haven't seen on other jackets before.
The stitch count is much smaller than Aero or Schott, and the needle holes and thread much thinner too. It feels less "industrial" and a little bit more refined, along the lines of what you would expect from ELC or Lewis Leathers.

The hide is what you would expect from Shinki, nice a supple, thinner than CXL, great grain, no break in, and a very interesting colour that really responds to lighting conditions in interesting manners.

The lining is Japanese blanket, it is nice and soft, it feels close to Aero Strome weight tartan in thickness, but a lot softer and airier (not as tightly woven).

Picture time, the colour in these is as accurate as i can get them, and i will soon create a new thread with all my jackets together to show how it compares to brown CXL, to compare colour, grain, fit etc...

TZ7oIdW.jpg

EvR3AJ9.jpg

RGiO56n.jpg

WrrMPjK.jpg

Fit pics, it works well both opened and closed, and can be worn with the collar up or down.

zZPHLEH.jpg

tby0M0e.jpg

4laPj1s.jpg

9x6kcpE.jpg

This really fits amazingly well, i have literally no restriction of movement whatsoever.
It hangs well, doesn't pull on my neck, doesn't choke me when i sit down, i can reach up, down, forward, the underarm gussets are super discrete, but very effective.

The only slight negative is the long delay to respond when i first got in touch, other than that this has been a completely flawless experience.
There is a lot of talk about the "is it worth it" question regarding Himel, GW and other makers in these price range, and a bit of a cult following...
This jacket costs more than both my Bootleggers combined. From a purely technical point of view, it isn't twice as "good" as an Aero, but it fits me much better than any Aero or any other jacket has ever fit me, and that has to be worth something.

I'm not going to go on a "Himel is the best and only his jackets are worth buying" spree, but i am definitely very impressed by what he has done, and would recommend him without hesitation.

Thanks for that review.
Congrats! Truly a stunning jacket in fit, details, leather and accessory details. A big win for you. Wear and ride in good health!!!!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Excellent Carlos! That jacket is indeed the best fit out of the three although you wear them all extremely well!
Man forget the jackets tho...where do I get that Vader belt buckle?!?! :D

That buckle is an original 1977 LucasArt buckle! Got it on eBay and hand stitched a buffalo strap to it.
If you really want nice star wars gear you have to go old!

Carlos, in that jacket you seriously look like a protagonist from a fantasy/sci-fi movie/video game/illustration. Come to think of it, I can't seem to recall a movie where a costume designer has done an equally good job with the fit. Let alone better. I'll admit that I didn't like this jacket much before on the promo shots, it did reek of an 80's Hein Gericke design to me but seeing it this way, it really is incredible. Creases in the leather are amazing. Himel did an incredible job with this one. I mean, let's not kid ourselves, it's mostly your physique that does most of the work making this jacket look good but... It's still really something. One of the most impressive jackets I've seen on TFL and that says a lot.

I could never pull it off and I'd never have the guts to wear it but... It's really cool.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
great jacket and review Carlos the jacket body fits you best compared to the other photos you compared it with. arm length is shorter on this style I guess, with gussetless wrist zip probably it is better to have it shorter like that so your thumb base won't get caught in the gussetless opening and then twist the whole sleeve with it.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Damn Carlos all your jackets fit you like you're the model.

That Himel looks badass. Congrats.

Logician

One of the Regulars

The hide is what you would expect from Shinki, nice and supple, thinner than CXL, great grain, no break in, and a very interesting colour that really responds to lighting conditions in interesting manners.

TZ7oIdW.jpg

EvR3AJ9.jpg

RGiO56n.jpg

WrrMPjK.jpg

zZPHLEH.jpg

tby0M0e.jpg

4laPj1s.jpg

9x6kcpE.jpg

This jacket is in a class by itself. I've been in touch with Dave for a Chevalier since last January, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I might pay him a visit in May so he can take my measurements. I've been "obsessed" with this jacket ever since I saw pics from Mysterio on this forum. Enjoy your Chevalier, it fits you like a glove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points