Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HIMEL BROS - THE AVRO - DARK BROWN SHINKI HORSEHIDE OIL FINISH (44)

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
https://himelbros.com/collections/the-avro/products/the-avro-dark-brown-shinki-horsehide-oil-finish
READ ^^^

Bought in 2017.
Worn a decent amount of times.
In excellent condition, no damage or odors, smells like shinki leather, lining is perfect.
This is an exclusive sale on The Fedora Lounge. I've sold several jackets here before.
Shipping in USA only.

Measurements TAG 44
chest 22'
length 25''
waist 20.5''
sleeve 26''
shoulder 20''

This is priced to sell. Please do not send me offers, they will be ignored.

$1650 + SHIPPING UPS. (-$1000 if ordered brand new. Great deal!).
Payment via PayPal.

I'll let the photos do the talking!!!

https://i.imgur.com/c5z0h0j.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Xvpm7DI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AXBhxvG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NbKpyPr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/naYZVuR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oETozaf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3I7xqXZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GhvWT6a.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bVFm85C.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NzvHG7J.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5359.jpg
    IMG_5359.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5372.jpg
    IMG_5372.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5370.jpg
    IMG_5370.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5372.jpg
    IMG_5372.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5370.jpg
    IMG_5370.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5369.jpg
    IMG_5369.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5368.jpg
    IMG_5368.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5367.jpg
    IMG_5367.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5363.jpg
    IMG_5363.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5362.jpg
    IMG_5362.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 77

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
I would recommend writing 'fits like a 38 or 40' in the title.

The measurements on this are totally bizarre for a 44.
I couldn't say. There are so many variations between jacket makers and each one does their measurements differently. The exact measurements are given in the photos, and it is tagged 44.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I couldn't say. There are so many variations between jacket makers and each one does their measurements differently. The exact measurements are given in the photos, and it is tagged 44.

The fact that it's poorly labeled by the company is irrelevant. 44-sized people will see this and pass on the jacket because it's multiple sizes too small. If you put 38 or 40 in the title, then people who might actually fit into it will see it.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
The fact that it's poorly labeled by the company is irrelevant. 44-sized people will see this and pass on the jacket because it's multiple sizes too small. If you put 38 or 40 in the title, then people who might actually fit into it will see it.
you make a good point

the edit feature seems to be gone though from the original post. maybe a mod can fix it?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Don‘t worry too much. Maybe you can add a ‚fits smaller‘ to your listing. Himel’s run notoriously small, so potential buyers will likely want to have a look at actual measurements anyway.

Despite the sometimes adverse bias against Himel, the ‚Avro‘ remains a spectacular jacket. I wouldn’t buy new, after Davids conduct with dissatisfied customers, but I am sure in the market if the right size pops up.
I wish you good luck with the sale.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don‘t worry too much. Maybe you can add a ‚fits smaller‘ to your listing. Himel’s run notoriously small, so potential buyers will likely want to have a look at actual measurements anyway.

Out of curiosity, have they ever explained why?

I understand why Japanese brands do it (they want American looking sizes but they corresponding downsize to small Japanese people) but it is a bit confusing from a Western maker where people are likely to be buying leather jackets in their suit size.

I believe Field did this too early on too; he's moved away from it since fortunately.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have a Himel Arrowhead, size 44, it can either measure 22" or 23" P2P depending on how I measure it. If I guess correctly the OP just used a metal tape measure to do his measuring.
22"
Himel Arrowhead 004.jpg

23"
IMG_3118.JPG

I am quite certain if the OP pull on the measurement, or measure inch by inch, it is 45.5" around the chest, or 22.75" P2P. The +1.5" is consistent across all brands I have for this 20s/30s/70s fit, and this includes brands other than Himel or Japanese brands.

The tag size is a suggestion for period looking fit. Not every one likes the super slim fits, so stay away if you don't, there are many late 30s and 40s fits that will have more room in the chest and still looking slim fitting without going supersized 50s/80s/90s look.

The only way to know how big or small the jacket actually is are the shoulder curve length and armhole height in relation to neck, and neck circumference helps too. But these are never given, so tag size and P2P it is. Hem size will also tell a lot how the jacket is shaped.

The biggest variable is human. Two people will measure the jacket two very different ways. Seller has the intention to sell what he or she has on hand. Buyer is really in the dark most of the time.

Personally I do prefer the 40s cut, but I am guilty of having many 30s cut jackets. I rarely wear them but they do fit and are great to look at. I also don't recommand sizing up on the early 30s cut, it will bag out at the hem because there is only 2" drop in torso circumference (if P2P is 23", hem is 22"). Especially for athletic shaped guys, if you want 30s fit to be comfortable at the chest, then it will bag out at the waist. Unless you go custom and get a custom taper. But once you custom taper a bigger jacket down it will have some extra leather in the least expected places. It is best to just go with another pattern.

I think the biggest advantage / disadvantage of this Himel Avro is its back design. It strayed away from the leathertog three panels design so that's a con, but the advantage is this modified center slit design contours and fits the body better. I have two leathertog repros with the original back design, comparing them to my center slit design, the center slit design always looks like better fit. Most Avros I've seen have great fits, I think the center slit back really helps. The leathertog three panels was really the grand daddy of the later full action backs. The two side panels is where all the action happens, but without the center panel covering / overlapping the side panels there will always be some unsmooth areas no matter how big small or the leather temper. Great mobility though.

IMG_4003.jpg

mvilla

A-List Customer
I have a Himel Arrowhead, size 44, it can either measure 22" or 23" P2P depending on how I measure it. If I guess correctly the OP just used a metal tape measure to do his measuring.
22"
View attachment 523786
23"
View attachment 523787

I am quite certain if the OP pull on the measurement, or measure inch by inch, it is 45.5" around the chest, or 22.75" P2P. The +1.5" is consistent across all brands I have for this 20s/30s/70s fit, and this includes brands other than Himel or Japanese brands.

The tag size is a suggestion for period looking fit. Not every one likes the super slim fits, so stay away if you don't, there are many late 30s and 40s fits that will have more room in the chest and still looking slim fitting without going supersized 50s/80s/90s look.

The only way to know how big or small the jacket actually is are the shoulder curve length and armhole height in relation to neck, and neck circumference helps too. But these are never given, so tag size and P2P it is. Hem size will also tell a lot how the jacket is shaped.

The biggest variable is human. Two people will measure the jacket two very different ways. Seller has the intention to sell what he or she has on hand. Buyer is really in the dark most of the time.

Personally I do prefer the 40s cut, but I am guilty of having many 30s cut jackets. I rarely wear them but they do fit and are great to look at. I also don't recommand sizing up on the early 30s cut, it will bag out at the hem because there is only 2" drop in torso circumference (if P2P is 23", hem is 22"). Especially for athletic shaped guys, if you want 30s fit to be comfortable at the chest, then it will bag out at the waist. Unless you go custom and get a custom taper. But once you custom taper a bigger jacket down it will have some extra leather in the least expected places. It is best to just go with another pattern.

I think the biggest advantage / disadvantage of this Himel Avro is its back design. It strayed away from the leathertog three panels design so that's a con, but the advantage is this modified center slit design contours and fits the body better. I have two leathertog repros with the original back design, comparing them to my center slit design, the center slit design always looks like better fit. Most Avros I've seen have great fits, I think the center slit back really helps. The leathertog three panels was really the grand daddy of the later full action backs. The two side panels is where all the action happens, but without the center panel covering / overlapping the side panels there will always be some unsmooth areas no matter how big small or the leather temper. Great mobility though.

View attachment 523810
Hmmm that speedway... If you're ever parting ways with it let me know :)

Kevin O'Sullivan

Familiar Face
22"
View attachment 523786
23"
View attachment 523787

View attachment 523810
Your middle fit there is exactly how my Thedi is cut and ended up breaking in absolutely perfectly. At first I hated that design but after it broke in, *chefs kiss*

F80398D4-B64C-49B7-9C37-42D7EEDD6D7F.png

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

I understand why Japanese brands do it (they want American looking sizes but they corresponding downsize to small Japanese people) but it is a bit confusing from a Western maker where people are likely to be buying leather jackets in their suit size.

I believe Field did this too early on too; he's moved away from it since fortunately.

With FL I need to size up one as compared to „my“ Aero size (same As with their „premier“ range).

Himel’s stock measurements as quoted on their website are perfectly normal (e.g. chest 46,5 for a 42; 48,5 for a 44 etc.) If anything, sleeves and torso are missing an inch, but at 25“ each for a size 42 they are not super short either.
Whenever I see a Himel in the wild (including on their own „Ready to wear“ section, they seem to have shrunk though. I have a stock 42 Nipissing that seems to be missing an inch here and there too.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
Despite the sometimes adverse bias against Himel, the ‚Avro‘ remains a spectacular jacket. I wouldn’t buy new, after Davids conduct with dissatisfied customers, but I am sure in the market if the right size pops up.
David is an asshole, but will occasionally come through and be reasonably generous. This jacket I have here is the second one I ordered from him. I got the measurements wrong on the first, my fault, so he made me a brand new jacket and I paid an additional $700. The original jacket was put up for sale as used on his site at a discount so I think it was fair. I would not recommend buying from him new unless you both communicate well. He has a great pattern and it's my second favorite motorcycle jacket behind the flat head delraiser.

I'm also pretty sure David never fulfilled an order for a wallet I paid for. My life got super busy at the time and was going through some huge life / personal changes so I just never followed up on it and eventually so much time passed I let it go. I should of followed up on that with him.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
because there is no such thing as standard sizing oversaw by some governing body. lots of brands have all sorts of variations in their sizing, a 44 is a 44 as long as the chest equals a minimum of 44 inches and not under, that's roughly the idea of tags and however many inches anyone wants to add on after is up to them. From the Japanese jackets to smaller bespoke jackets they all vary in different ways. Not every jacket maker is cutting their jackets for older guys with beer bellies like Lost Worlds and not everyone is tapering their waists for skinny fits like the Japanese brands, so tag is a poor estimate at best and it just comes down to looking at exact measurements and comparing it to a good fitting jacket.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
22"
View attachment 523786
23"
View attachment 523787

View attachment 523810
A member here is interested in this jacket and messaged me for more measurements, so I will go back and do a second measuring, and try to make a video of how I measure, from what points and how taught the jacket is, try to give the most accurate numbers possible for anyone interested in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto