Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History is alive and well in pictures...

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
If you are a history buff and love vintage pictures. Go to the web link listed below and you will see some really vintage pictures. These are the photos and tin-type pictures that I keep locked up in my vault. They span 100 yrs. from 1850-1950 and they are in great shape. Just a little part of my family photo album. Saloon cowboys, outlaws, civil war soldiers, both world war one and two soldiers, saloon ladies, and depression era photos, and vintage cars. No fakes and no paintings. Make sure to flip through both pages. Give me a reply and let me know what you think of them.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v671/BRADCOX777

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Good schtuff! :clap

43.jpg

Funny you mention saloon cowboys and outlaws. A distant relative did a genealogy history of my family. Mysteriously all history of the people was omitted. Come to find out, there were so many horse thieves and cattle rustlers, she was embarrassed to let anyone else know. :)

Tom

56.jpg

There are some really interesting pictures but I really like this one. The two fellows in the front are wearing tophats on the back of their heads. I wonder how they keep them that way. :)
The car is surely something out of the early teens or before. I like it. I will have to see what I can scare up of my tintypes---if I can find them. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
Keep checking back to the web link because I am still adding on more pictures. More tins will be added too. The three group pictures that you see next to the church is of a town called Hanfield, IN. and it doesn't even exist anymore because the railroad stopped running through it about 1910. Only two houses still exist. One was built by my great, great, great, grandfather after the civil war. The other big group photo is of a Freemasons get together about 1900 through 1910. Only pictures like these that I know of that still exist today.

Those pictures you have on tin are precious. I probably don't have to tell you but do not touch them or let anything rub against them. The image is fragile.
I saw one of Edgar Allan Poe last night on the Antiques Roadshow. It was worth $5,000 because it is only one of seven known to exist of him on tin. So keep care of those. Maybe one of those you have is of Frank and Jesse James. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

j

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I saw one of Edgar Allan Poe last night on the Antiques Roadshow. It was worth $5,000 because it is only one of seven known to exist of him on tin.

I saw that one. Pretty interesting. I was under the impression that this picture was a recent find and would be the eighth picture of Poe.

Danosaurus said:
Wow nobody smiled back then...everyone looks so depressed... :(

Bad teeth.

Tom

up196

A-List Customer
Great picture!

They do seem to be proud of them, but they'ye not Model Ts. I can't tell for certain, but they look like Buicks to me, and they look like 3 different year-models. The two on the left, both touring cars, are the same, probably the oldest. The middle one, also a touring car, is a bit later. The two on the right, one a sedan and one a touring car, are the newest, probably 1923 or earlier (Buick changed the shape of the radiator shell in '24). Compare the right front fender shapes, bumpers and the roof lines of the tourers. The one on the right has a much more rakish look than the others. I have a spotlight like the one on the car on the right. Now to find the rest of the car to go with it . . . Tom

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
Ok I had to dig around in the family vault and look at the back of the picture to see what year that they actually are. It reads,"These 1920 Buicks were bought from Wigger Buick and Buggy Agency on the north side of the square in Marion, IN." So this picture was taken in the 1920's. Beitler Studios in Marion came out to my geat grandfathers place to take the picture. My family was really the first around here to even own cars. Everybody else was still doing the wagon and team of horses. So you better believe that they were proud of em. Oh before I forget to answer your question ITG. Yes I do own all these pictures and more. I have plenty of civil war pictures that I am getting ready to post to. All will end up on photobucket as soon as they are ready. All of them are mine and all of them are family.

Michaelson

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
56.jpg

There are some really interesting pictures but I really like this one. The two fellows in the front are wearing tophats on the back of their heads. I wonder how they keep them that way. :)
The car is surely something out of the early teens or before. I like it. I will have to see what I can scare up of my tintypes---if I can find them. ;)

Regards to all,

J

James, those aren't tophats. Those are tall dome bowlers, really popular from the 1880's through about 1910 or so. Think Homberg, push out the dent/bash on the top, and you have an idea how tall those things could be. Essentially the exact same hat with a LOT of stiffiner applied to the inside of the dome.
I handled an original (unfortunately it was a size 7...WAY small :cry: ) at a high end antique store in Franklin, TN two weekends ago, and the brim to top of dome was just over 6 inches! They were asking $300 for the one I looked at, complete with box. Regards. Michaelson

So you are saying those are actually Cambridge Bowlers? Hmmm...
I have heard of them and have seen them before. Now that I look at the picture, I think you are right. :)
I actually have a reproduction of one of those done by Stetson in the 1960s. Mine has a three inch brim though. :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto