History Preservation Associates - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by HPA Rep, Jan 13, 2014.

1. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Sponsoring Affiliate

Dear Fedora Lounge Members:

Please allow me to introduce myself and my company to you as one of the new paid advertising affiliates of this forum – I am Charles DiSipio, owner of History Preservation Associates of Cherry Hill, NJ, USA.

Back in the summer of 2013, I was invited by Scott and Nathan to become part of the then-nascent advertising affiliate program here. Over the years, I’ve enjoyed reading many of the posts on this forum, though I’ve not been a member until recently; it was my familiarity with this forum and the way it’s run that made my decision to accept the invitation one of the easier business moves I’ve had to make.

Some of you may already know of me and/or HPA, while others here have been our customers over the years. If you’ve been one of our customers, I wish to thank you for the compliment of choosing to do business with us, and to those who have not yet been a customer, I hope to persuade you in this regard in the coming months.

November 2013 marked the 24th anniversary of HPA, though I had been active in various ways within the domain of military history, militaria collecting and vintage clothing for many years prior to launching HPA. If you don’t already know what we do, I’ll briefly summarize here: The operation is fairly diverse, with both a merchandising component and a service component. The merchandising segment pioneered the importation of Eastman Leather Clothing’s products to N. America in 1987, though this did not take on a formal role until 1989 – a role we’re pleased to fulfill to this day. Due to my numerous trips to California for the Rose Bowl shows and now-defunct Great Western Show, I was exposed to most of the Japanese-made reproduction military and vintage clothing via those Japanese dealers with whom I did business, thus I had also been bringing to the USA a variety of Japanese brands over the years in small quantities for my most enthusiastic customers. By 2002, HPA became the exclusive agent and distributor in N. America for one Japanese manufacturer and this relationship continues to this day via this manufacturer’s primary brands: Buzz Rickson’s military and athletic apparel, Sugar Cane denim jeans and work clothing (including it’s Lone Wolf vintage-style work boots), and Sun Surf vintage-style Hawaiian shirts. We also have access to most of the other brands offered by this manufacturer and it’s fairly routine to obtain items produced under the Whitesville, Tailor Toyo, Cat’s Paw, and/or Style Eyes labels for those who are interested, in addition to some other brands they release.

The service segment of HPA focuses in consulting work, where we perform a wide array of professional services that typically includes insurance appraisals and project development, the latter encompassing work with writers and creative producers for books, articles, TV and the film and theatrical industries, where I have personally worked as an advisor on several major cinematic releases, and I’ve also been hired to lead the top-grossing “Band of Brothers” battlefield tours of Europe for a tour group.

My original intention was to coincide my formal affiliation here with the rolling out of HPA’s all-new e-commerce website, but since the website has gone well beyond the planned-for rollout date and is likely still another week or so away from passing the testing phase and being able to flawlessly process orders, I’m going to commence my posts at this point in time with no further delay.

Thank you for sticking with this long-winded introduction. I respond to just about any name, but Charles, Charley, or Chaz are preferred. If any of you have any questions about our goods, services, sizing/fit issues, or wish to make a purchase, please contact us directly if time is of the essence; otherwise, I’ll be checking in here daily as my schedule permits.

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio
    History Preservation Associates
    Ph: 856-489-8103
    Fx: 856-489-8104
    E: fragen@historypreservation.com
    www.historypreservation.com

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    alfyman likes this.
  2. Nathan Flowers

Nathan Flowers Head Bartender Staff Member

The Fedora Lounge is happy to have you here, Charles. Looking forward to seeing all the goodies you have in store for us!

3. HPA Rep

Now that I've made my introduction, please allow me to post some product photos. It's seems timely to start a conversation about sheepskin jackets in light of the way old man winter has behaved in much of the USA since November. It's been a great year to be selling anything warm and we've enjoyed sales as brisk as the weather, but we still have a good selection on hand of select styles and sizes in this post-Christmas season.

I'll start with Eastman's USAAF Perry Sportswear 17808 B-3 Flying Jacket, Mixed Batch.
    _DSC0071adjwo.jpg

_DSC0075adjwo.jpg

_DSC0078adjwo.jpg

So as to help put all jackets now following into some sort of fit perspective, they are all size 40R. I'm doing the modeling and my body measures are as follows: 40" chest circumference, 30" waist, 5' 9" tall, 148 lbs. with a lean, athletic build.

Additionally being worn in the photos under the jackets are a really well-worn pair of Sugar Cane's classic 1947 Dungarees ($190.00 in 14.5-ounce unwashed, raw Japanese selvage denim or one-wash, cold rinse), and Buzz Rickson's 1930s/40s Mock-Twist Chambray Shirt in Charcoal Black as produced on vintage shuttle looms ($135.00).

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

alfyman likes this.
  4. HPA Rep

The next jacket is another personal fave of mine: Eastman's Rough Wear 17756 B-6 Flying Jacket. This is lighter weight, made of the correct 1/4" sheep's wool. 99% of our customers would go up one size in this jacket to allow for even light layering, as it is really quite trim. Personally, since I only use a B-6 for a narrow temperature range and never wear more than a Buzz Rickson's loop-wheeled sweatshirt under it, I would order a 40R, but I absolutely do NOT reflect in any way the typical customer we encounter. What do you gentlemen think of how it looks?

_DSC0094_adjwo.jpg

_DSC0098_adjwo.jpg

_DSC0103adjwo.jpg

5. HPA Rep

Here's a a classic that, once introduced in 2001, all but rendered meaningless Eastman's 1942 RAF Flying Jacket. The 1938-Pattern RAF Flying Jacket has become the only RAF jacket anyone orders at HPA, with the exception of the tiny few 1944 Devon-Fleece Jackets we've been able to acquire. I love the early model, but what do you guys think about this style vs. later designs?

_DSC0082_adj2wo.jpg

_DSC0086_adj2wo.jpg

_DSC0090_adj2wo.jpg

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

6. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

We are pleased beyond measure to have you on board, Charles. Welcome!

7. HPA Rep

_DSC0006_adj2wo.jpg _DSC0010_adj2wo.jpg _DSC0018_adj2wo.jpg _DSC0015_wo.jpg I believe this may be the first time the revamped Eastman Werber 1729 A-2 in Vintage Warhorse has been posted by a retailer. We received the first consignment of these A-2s in late Oct. 2013. I am very impressed wit the new leather, and I've always liked the overall A-2 design and features. The leather is very much for the purists who don't mind seeing the natural characteristics in the hide that include grain, insect bites, range marks, scars, etc. The aniline dye is really very thin and translucent, very much in keeping with what we see in many of the pre-war and early-war A-2s. Another authentic aspect of this A-2 is its hand and the weight. This feels like a vintage A-2 and it weighs in like a vintage A-2. Most of the high-end A-2 jackets are just too heavy to be authentic; after all, it was designated a Summer Flying Jacket. Vintage A-2 jackets that correctly measure out to a size 40 typically weigh very close to 3 lbs. (most are just a few ounces over it). The new Werber 1729 A-2 in Vintage Warhorse in size 40R weighs in at 3 lbs. 4 ozs. - perfect!

What do you think of this new A-2, fellas?

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    SJC likes this.
  8. HPA Rep

Thank you, Nathan, for all the help and support; glad to be here!

9. HPA Rep

Hi, Scott:

Thank you for the warm welcome!

10. HPA Rep

I had a member and customer inquire about some sheepskin jackets in size 46 last week, so I took some quick front-view photos of two styles that he was interested in. The RAF jacket is, once again, the 1938 pattern, and the B-3 is Eastman's "house style" in seal brown trim. I think I'm more of a B-3 guy, though I surely love a nice RAF jacket. I lean to the early B-3 jacket with their fewer seams and lighter colorings in hand-applied dye, but the post-1941 B-3s are also gorgeous, make no mistake. What do you fellas prefer?

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

_DSC0004adjwo.jpg _DSC0003_adjwo.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  11. thor

thor One Too Many

Welcome aboard TFL Charles! I've purchased numerous Eastman jackets through HPA and it was always a pleasant and professional experience.
    Great looking jackets, Charles. Good luck and continued success in the future.

Rick

12. SHOWSOMECLASS

SHOWSOMECLASS A-List Customer

I purchased a Buzz Rickson B-10 through HPA. They were very helpful as I was making my decision on size and best fit. Thank you.

13. B-24J

B-24J One of the Regulars

Great to have the HPA join the Fedora Lounge. Charles does a fine job.

It will be nice to see up to date Eastman items as their own website pics seem to be rather old.

Is the ELC 1938 Irvin current production? It looks much nicer than that weathered stuff from before.

John

14. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Really nice introduction and thread. How about some fit pics of the Air Comfort?!

15. HPA Rep

Thank you, Rick, for the kind words, and you sure have purchased numerous jackets. It's nice to bump into you here, too! I'll bet it's been really cold on the river here lately - sheepskin time!

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

16. HPA Rep

Thank you for being our customer and I'm happy to hear the B-10 worked out for you. Which Buzz B-10 version did you get?

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

17. HPA Rep

Hi, John:

The pics I posted of the ELC RAF Jacket definitely reflect current production from fall 2013; I do appreciate what you are saying about the ELC "stock" photos.

We shoot all of our products in our own studio except the ELC items (the ELC images are their stock images), and while planning and assembling our new website, I really wanted to shoot all of the ELC items here. The main obstacle in executing on this idea had to do with the side-by-side comparisons featured on most of the ELC image pages, which would require us to, at the least, get the images of the vintage jackets from ELC. These images of vintage jackets would, of course, be shot using ELC's lighting and camera, thus our comparison images wouldn't have the same look, which isn't a good thing, in my opinion. What we are doing with select ELC jacket styles is to feature these as shot using our own style with our own photographic equipment, which could eventually lead to my decision to just shoot all the ELC items here and incorporate the side-by-side comparisons in some other manner. Additionally, we will have for just about every item on the website (not just ELC) a section of "Fit Images," which is basically what I'm posting here, where you'll see the items being worn as shot in our studio and with the item size and model's dimensions listed for a better perspective to reference for fit. So that you can see the difference between what we shoot and the stock ELC images, I've posted in this reply two images shot in our studio of the ELC Perry Sportswear 17808 B-3 and the Rough Wear Clo. Co. 17756 B-6, both of which will be featured on our new website and, I feel, do more justice to the jackets and better reflect what the customer can expect to receive.

Back to your comment on RAF jackets, I'm not quite sure which RAF jackets you mean when you refer to "weathered stuff," but ELC did offer their time-worn treatment on some sheepskin jackets as an option, so is this what you're referencing? They had also offered their 1942-pattern RAF Jacket in a "vintage" finish as standard several years ago, but that is no longer the case, as far as I am aware, and this wasn't a worn-in look as much as it was more of a dull, matte finish with slight suede-like characteristics. Presently, the only true time-worn RAF jacket they offer is the elusive 1944-Pattern Jacket in Devon Fleece, which is currently unavailable due to the scarcity of the Devon Fleece.

HPA has gotten some of the Devon-Fleece jackets in the past and we placed an order for more back in June 2013, but Gary Eastman warned me that it would be a long time before they could fulfill on this order. Previously, the longest ELC had been without the special skins in stock to produce this jacket style was 18 months, so I hope it's not that long this time, though, in my opinion, it's worth the wait, as these jackets really are quite special and, if past performance is a good indicator, we'll sell out very quickly once they're in stock again.

I hope this reply was helpful and I thank you for posing some good questions and observations.

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

scr_B6.jpg scr_B3.jpg

18. HPA Rep

Thank you, Nick! Funny you should mention the Air Comfort, as this is slated for a photo shoot any day now, which could be Wednesday of this week. I'll be sure to post the "Fit Images" here so you can have a look. Thanks for the timely inquiry.

Best regards,

Charles DiSipio

19. oldcrow82

oldcrow82 One of the Regulars

Welcome to TFL Charles.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Charles, give him a call, it's always been a pleasure to have a conversation with him. Charles knows his product lines and is the definition of customer service.

20. Brettafett

Brettafett One Too Many

Hi Charles. That Werber is fantastic. I recently received samples from most of the high end mnfctrs and honestly, this particular hide wins outright. Its going to look incredible in a few years. I believe only available on the Werber and RW1401.
    Is that jacket in the photo a 40R? If, so, how tall is the model and what does he weigh in at, roughly?
    Also, could you post measurements of the 40R? Do you find the measurements to be pretty uniform across a few size 40Rs?
    Regards