History Preservation Associates - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by HPA Rep, Jan 13, 2014.

1. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Sponsoring Affiliate

Thank you, Nick, for your words of praise and support!

nick123 likes this.
  2. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Purchased the Monarch a few months ago Charles..absolutely love it!

I am one of those who had to go up a size to accommodate my shoulders.

Agree with everything you said above :)

HPA Rep likes this.
  3. HPA Rep

Jacket-of-the-Day

The ELMC Californian Half-Belt Horse Hide Jacket Havana Brown is my personal favorite among the three color choices because of the great variation found in the color, which really presents a very vintage look right out of the box.

The full-aniline dye in such a light color as this means you will see every bit of the character-rich grain, but this also means that color continuity and consistency is hard to achieve, as the the underlying color of the leather contributes greatly to the resultant dyed color. Aniline dye is very thin and translucent and there is very little pigment in a color as light as Havana Brown that is also not a great deal different from the natural leather color, thus we see a recognizable spread of colors in each leather consignment, though when viewed independently, it truly goes unnoticed.

Adding to the vintage aesthetic and comfort found in this style is a hand-applied light treatment of vintage patina – just enough so that the leather looks slightly broken-in for both a rugged look and lived-in comfort.

Please have a look at the amazing leather used on these two jackets from two different consignments, where one is noticeably darker than the other. As with all Eastman leather jackets, a proportionate-size sewing needle is employed vis-a-vis the thread size, so that no insultingly large, gaping holes are punched into the leather, as so often encountered in other leather jackets available today.

I've had to break this post into two parts due to a photo limit per upload. Both of these jackets are in stock for immediate purchase, along with all sizes from 36 - 46 in regular and long lengths:

https://www.historypreservation.com...-vintage-style-half-belt-jacket-havana-brown/

ELMC Californan Havana frsm.jpg
    ELMC Californian chest sm.jpg
    ELMC Californian havana chest 2 sm.jpg
    ELMC Californian havana chest grain sm 2.jpg
    ELMC Californian havana half sm.jpg
    ELMC Californian havana sleeve sm.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. HPA Rep

And here is one from another consignment that is a bit darker and with no-less-amazing leather. You can also see the two Californians in the same photo for a side-by-side comparison. This is the exact, same leather used on Eastman A-2 jackets in the Original-Maker series and it typifies the color variation also found among A-2's in this color. Having seen both in person, I would not welcome having to choose between the two if both were in my size:

ELMC Californian havana darkest fr sm.jpg
    ELMC Californian havana darker half sm.jpg
    ELMC Californian havana darkest chest close sm.jpg
    ELMC Californian havana darkest chest grain sm.jpg ELMC Californian havana darkest chest sm.jpg
    ELMC Californian havana pair sm.jpg

5. Rich22

Rich22 One of the Regulars

Those jackets look amazing! Very impressive.

HPA Rep likes this.
  6. Salatape

Salatape New in Town

God I wish they could fit me

Boyo and HPA Rep like this.
  7. Rich22

Rich22 One of the Regulars

Any pictures available of the back of those jackets?

ShanghaiJack and HPA Rep like this.
  8. DavidTen

DavidTen New in Town

These are only available up to a size 46, right Charles? Just checking as you mention 48 above and your website only shows 46 as the largest.

HPA Rep likes this.
  9. HPA Rep

Thank you for asking, Rich. Yes, please see the link provided in the post to our website and plenty more views can be seen, including the back.

ShanghaiJack likes this.
  10. HPA Rep

Thank you very much for brining this to my attention, David. Total error on my behalf and I apologize; the correct size range is 36-46 and I corrected my post. Posting too late in the day has its price ...

DavidTen likes this.
  11. HPA Rep

Thank you, Rich!

12. HPA Rep

I'm sorry these do not come in your size, Salatape. What do you require, if I may ask?

13. Salatape

Salatape New in Town

I e-mailed Gary last year asking for size recommendations and he advised that I would most likely need a 46L. I currently own a size 42 Aero Highwayman which has 28.5" sleeves and 28" back and as I understand it a 46L Californian has 27" Sleeves with a 26" back. There is a chance the jacket would fit me but it is definitely something that I want to try on first in person before making a decision.

14. TiltRotorFlyer

TiltRotorFlyer One of the Regulars

Im pretty sure Charles at HPA still stocks Long sizes in the Californian. I know I bought two from him and they are some of my favorites.

HPA Rep likes this.
  15. HPA Rep

Thanks for the reply. Well, there is nowhere in the USA to try one on in person, and when ELC does their popup store each fall in London, they only stock regulars, but we do stock long fittings, as TiltRotorFlyer correctly noted.

You can certainly order a long from us in this style and return it if not to your satisfaction. We should have some fabulous new styles from a new brand late this year and semi-custom sizes will be available, but nothing in the way of a storefront open to the public.

If you need anything else, please advise. Thank you.

16. HPA Rep

Thank you, TiltRotorFlyer; you are indeed correct that we stock the Californian in longs. I'm glad you are so pleased with your Californians.

17. HPA Rep

Jacket-of-the-Day

The Eastman Perry Sportswear 17808 Mixed-Batch B-3 Flying Jacket is made to the highest standards of quality and authenticity - there is no more-authentic B-3 on the market today. I am a B-3 junkie, personally, owning three, and this gem stands out as a favorite. I never cease to be amazed at everything that has been executed correctly to AAF spec.; sometimes, I just stare at these and soak up their incredible detailing and beauty. And I've found you just cannot wear this coat and not have at least two people say something positive to you about it in the course of a day.

The character-rich broken grain, adjusting belts made from robust hand-oiled, vegetable-tanned cowhide, sleeve facings and trim leather crafted from only top-tier fully vegetable-tanned, fully aniline-dyed Italian horsehide, and the sumptuously delicious golden fleece all exude rugged luxury and identify this as a hand-crafted masterpiece This rugged beast of a jacket looks vintage from day one, thanks to the subtle hand-rubbed patina of the exclusive TimeWear process that comes standard. And last and certainly not least, the mottled, hand-dyed sheepskin with mixed-batch dark sheepskin panels assures no two jackets are identical.

Assembly is with strong, 4/16-gauge, all-cotton thread that will fade over time like a good pair of jeans. And a sewing needle of proportionate size to the thread is always employed in all Eastman assembly so as to not punch insultingly large gaping holes in the leather. The sheep wool is trimmed down to the original AAF spec. on the sleeves, body, and collar, and the wind flap and cuffs are in the shorter depth so you won't look as if you have a super-sized donut encircling your hands with an Eastman!

Do not cheat yourselves with lesser - treat yourselves with the best. You deserve it!

Now is the time to buy, not in November when everyone else is scrambling to find warm outerwear and when prices will very likely be higher, as Eastman tells us. We have been re-stocked with all sizes from 38R-48R and this very jacket depicted can be yours.

https://www.historypreservation.com...-perry-sportswear-contract-17808-mixed-batch/

ELC B-3 Perry fr sm.jpg
    ELC B-3 Perry sleeves crossed sm.jpg
    ELC B-3 Perry slv grain sm.jpg
    ELC B-3 Perry collar sm.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    nick123, ShanghaiJack and Monsoon like this.
  18. HPA Rep

Please feel free to post photos of how the Monarch looks on you, my friend!

bn1966 likes this.
  19. jeepjeep13

jeepjeep13 One of the Regulars

Hi gang,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but I found an Eastman a2 jacket on eBay. Seller claims it’s a star sportswear contract, but label doesn’t look like it. He’s also saying it’s a size 44 but measures 28” in length. Here’s the link:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-AA...5?pageci=f8edb7ca-a13d-41d8-a43c-654cdf14e6c8

I asked him where he was getting the length measurement from and he claims it’s from the bottom of the collar seam to the bottom knit.
    I’m 6’4” and need the length but normally wear a 40 or 42. If this is a star I feel the trim fit might be okay, but if it’s a house cut, do you think it would be too blousy?

20. HPA Rep

It's not a Star; rather, it's just an older "house" ELC A-2.

This should not be posted here and should be it's own dedicated thread topic.

Length does not mean anything, as this is an older example from back when ELC offered custom sizes, in addition to LONGS and EXTRA LONGS, the latter still being available.

Good luck!