History Preservation Associates - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by HPA Rep, Jan 13, 2014.

1. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Sponsoring Affiliate

Yes, my friend, the fit is identical! And you could have this exact B-3 depicted here with a few keystrokes on our website.

Also just arrived are some fabulous Rough Wear 17756 B-3's and .50 CAL. versions. The .50 CAL is selling fast due to a TV show that bought a lot of sizes in multiples across the range in the B-3 and B-6, but we still have all sizes as of right now.

Please let me know if you need anything else at all. Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  2. HPA Rep

Thank you, Carlos. There is indeed something about a B-3, which I certainly can trace back to what were likely my first encounters in my early childhood. I was the absolute only one in my small town wearing any WWII leather jackets that I can recall in the 1970's. There could be seen various cloth WWII jackets on kids and even adults, but save for a kid a few years my senior who wore a USN G-1 55-J-14, my Werber B-3 made me stand out in winter and I looked for days that were cold enough to wear it. Anything below 50 degrees F. and overcast is fair game for me to wear a B-3, even if it is worn only partly zipped up.

3. seres

seres A-List Customer

@HPA Rep Excellent info! If I’m reading the Eastman advert. text right, both the Perry 17808 Mixed Batch and the Rough Wear 17756 were based on the pre-1942 spec. So do both these jackets have the 1-inch sheep wool body thickness?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  4. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

You can wear one with a t-shirt. That's what I do in winter here which means I either freeze or turn to toast, but it's worth it!

El Marro likes this.
  5. HPA Rep

Coming in early November 2019 from our friends at Buzz Rickson's brand are superb copies of the iconic WWII USAAF A-11 Navigation Watch.

The A-11 was made in the hundreds of thousands during WWII and was the standard timepiece issued to pilots, bombardiers, and navigators, and the most perfect companion for a WWII-style flying jacket. The postwar copies I've seen have been, at best, mediocre, but now for the first time since 1945 this watch is being made with a maximum effort to get it right.

Produced in conjunction with watch masters in Japan, it will feature a mechanical movement with 21 jewels. Yes, you read correctly, an A-11 watch made with a mechanical movement is being produced!!! Other features include the correct cotton strap in light olive drab, nomenclature stamping on the watch back that precisely mirrors a famous contract from 1942, nickel-plated case, mineral crystal, clone-like copy of the watch dial and hand shape featuring luminous dial with sweep second hand, and a presentation case.

These will not be offered again and are part of a limited series of 500 pieces. We will have the only stock of these watches in N. America once they arrive and expectations are high for a fast sellout.

The current estimated price will be $650.00 each. If you wish to be added to our notification list for the arrival and chance to purchase before they appear on our website, please contact us.

P. S. This specific copy is based on an example produced by Elgin and Buzz Rickson's sent me a photo today of the very example they used as the basis for the new release, which I now share here with you.

71327033_2435011533202792_1990482621733273600_n.jpg
    IMG_1618.JPG

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  6. HPA Rep

If the interest thus far received all translates into sales, we're now 1/3 into our watch order and I have asked if we may order more. Thank you all who have contacted me to get a slot on the contact list for when these arrive!

EmergencyIan and archbury918 like this.
  7. CBI

CBI One Too Many

glad there is interest! These are beautiful looking reproductions

Stand By and HPA Rep like this.
  8. HPA Rep

Glad you can appreciate these fines examples, CBI. They are alone in the world today in what has been a largely neglected market for this watch type in copy form with a really solid effort behind design and production incorporated in a mechanical movement.

9. HPA Rep

Featured Jacket: Eastman Leather Clothing USAC A-2 Flying Jacket, Werber Leather Coat Co. 1729

This A-2 style reflects one of the first A-2 contracts for the Air Corps and it has been very popular since it was introduced in 2007; unfortunately, it has been on hiatus since June 2018, but now it is back and the best it has ever been.

The new incarnation of this A-2 style features Eastman's newest horse hide from a tannery in Italy new to Eastman. These hides are absolutely gorgeous, being fully aniline dyed and fully vegetable tanned. The natural grain is just superb, highlighting deep rivulets and valleys running between hills of vegetable-tanned rugged luxury. Each jacket just begs to be worn, further bringing out deeper definition and contrast among the striations in the grain. This is what Eastman calls Vintage WarHorse, which really presents a very vintage look right out of the box.

The full-aniline dye in such a light color as Havana Brown means you will see every bit of the character-rich grain, but this also means that color continuity and consistency is hard to achieve as the the underlying color of the leather contributes greatly to the resultant dyed color. Aniline dye is very thin and translucent, and there is very little pigment in a color as light as Havana Brown, which is also not a great deal different from the natural leather color.

Other than the new horse hide, nothing else has changed from the previous Werber A-2's Eastman produced: fit, measurements, detailing, and within the normal variation of color, the Havana Brown is also the same.

Contained in the following photos are various shots taken from three different Werber A-2 Jackets we have in stock that are very representative of the rest we have on hand, thus providing a very good idea of what you can expect from our stock and this new leather. These are all quite consistent in hide appearance and color, but one also needs to keep in mind these all were produced from the same leather consignment; I'd expect the usual variation between consignments made from such a light color in full aniline dye as time goes by.

Please have a look at the amazing leather used on these jackets. As with all Eastman leather jackets, a proportionate-size sewing needle is employed vis-a-vis the thread size, so that no insultingly large, gaping holes are punched into the leather, as so often encountered in other leather jackets available today.

We are currently the only source in the world with Eastman's new Werber A-2 Flying Jacket in stock; I personally pushed Gary back in the spring to get these done for fall and he said our order would be his impetus to resume Werber A-2 production and we'd get priority, and so we now have all sizes in stock from 38R - 48R.

Grab them while we have them, fellas!

These are available on our website for immediate shipment:

https://www.historypreservation.com...-jacket-werber-leather-coat-co-contract-1729/
    a-2 werber triple.jpg
    a-2 werber fr.jpg
    a-2 werber chest grain.jpg
    a-2 werber full chest grain.jpg
    a-2 werber sleeve grain.jpg
    a-2 werber chest long.jpg
    a-2 werber full chest 2.jpg
    a-2 werber back grain.jpg
    a-2 werber back2.jpg
    a-2 weber back grain close.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  10. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Nice, will the watches be an accurate 33 mm, or will they be size enhanced to allow for modern tastes? I imagine the ubiquitous Seiko NH35 micro-brand or similar movement would struggle to fit in a period accurate size.

HPA Rep likes this.
  11. Davy Crockett

Davy Crockett A-List Customer

That leather is utterly stunning!

D

HPA Rep likes this.
  12. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

If they were 35-36mm it would be amazing (but not accurate).

That leather...WOW!

HPA Rep likes this.
  13. HPA Rep

Thanks, for the curiosity, Seb. The case info. I currently have indicates it will be 1 3/8” in diameter, which is what the original size was, but once I have the first shipment I will confirm all details. I do not have any specifics on the movement beyond that it is mechanical and 21 jewels. It is possible the movement may be modified in some way, much as the ETA Valjeut movement was for the Hahnhart Luftwaffe chronograph wristwatches we carried some years gone.

Seb Lucas likes this.
  14. HPA Rep

I do not think they would go through all the cost and effort they have to then make a case size that was not true to the original, but I am open to such a possibility since I have yet to see an example beyond the photos they supplied.

As for Eastman’s new leather, it is indeed as tasty as it looks!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    sjmilzy likes this.
  15. Skanstull

Skanstull New in Town

The Vintage Warhorse is absolutely stunning.

ShanghaiJack and HPA Rep like this.
  16. HPA Rep

As noted previously on this page, our friends at Buzz Rickson's brand are making what we believe are actually the finest copies ever produced of the iconic WWII USAAF A-11 Navigational Watch.

At long last, we have just been notified that our first order is shipping to us on Monday of next week, and soon after receipt we will post them on our website for purchase. Anyone who requested to be contacted when these arrive will indeed be notified first.

If everyone who has requested advance notification purchases a watch, we will have scant few watches available for additional orders; however, we have been told we will be able to order more for delivery to us later in Nov. - Dec., so certainly in time for holiday shopping.

These watches are produced in conjunction with watch masters in Japan and feature a mechanical movement with 21 jewels. Other features include the correct cotton strap in light olive drab, nomenclature stamping on the watch back that precisely mirrors a famous contract from 1942, nickel-plated case, mineral crystal, clone-like copy of the watch dial and hand shape featuring luminous dial with sweep second hand, and a presentation case.

The watches are part of a limited series of 500 pieces. We will have the only stock of these watches in N. America and the expected retail price will be $650.00, which will be finalized once we pay the invoice for the watches, shipping and insurance to us, customs duties, and brokerage fees. If the current trading range of exchange rates continues between the JPY/USD, our estimate of cost should be accurate.

Photos at top are of this A-11 Navigation Watch and the watch at bottom is the original Elgin that served as the basis of the new copy.

I have not been more excited about a new product offering as I have with these watches in many, many years. The countdown now begins ...

74604637_2479701595400452_1308681594562674688_n.jpg
    IMG_1618.JPG

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  17. HPA Rep

buzz rickson watch, naviagtion type a-11 br02613 full.jpg The moment has arrived and today we officially can offer the finest, most authentic copy of the iconic WWII USAAF A-11 Navigation Watch now on the market. I am personally super-pleased and impressed with this watch and have been wearing my own for several days as we tested our stock and then photographed and uploaded them to the website.

Additionally, the exchange rate between the USD/JPY was a bit better than forecasted, so the watches are a bit less in cost than the anticipated $650.00 listed in our announcements; however, future watch shipments could face exchange rates that have worsened, thus the present price is only for those watches we have in stock now.

Everyone who requested a notification has been sent an e-mail this morning, so please check your inboxes. We are the only retailer of this watch in N. America and Europe, and out of a worldwide production of 500 pieces, we have received just part of our order since the production is still in progress, so if everyone who asked to be notified buys one, some of you will not get a watch until the end of the month or even Dec., but you should all be able to have watches by Christmas - the early bird will indeed catch the worm!

Please see and read about the watches on our website page below, where you may order your watch directly; however, if you want delivery to be outside the USA, please contact us first and we’ll provide a shipping rate and instructions for international orders:

https://www.historypreservation.com...uzz-rickson-usaaf-type-a-11-navigation-watch/

Please note that we will be adding many other items to the website today and later this week, with the last item being uploaded near month’s end. We have many new leather and cloth jackets, as well as sweatshirts and trousers, to debut and I will begin publishing featured items here very shortly. If you have any questions or needs, I am available to assist fully. Thank you so very much for your interest.

ShanghaiJack and Imuricecreamman like this.
  18. HPA Rep

Featured Jacket: Buzz Rickson AN6552 U. S. Navy Flying Jacket

Buzz Rickson's brand is renowned, mostly in Japan, for their leather USN intermediate flying jackets, most especially in the all-important area of fit; indeed, we deem the fit and design execution of these to be wrestling for a top spot in production today and have elected, for the first time ever, to bring to our customers all three leather USN intermediate styles currently offered by Buzz Rickson's.

Among the leather USN intermediate flying jackets of WWII, some very few can be found with the unusual-yet-attractive rust-red wool knit typically associated with USAAF A-2 flying jackets made by Aero Leather Clothing Co. in three of their contracts. Buzz Rickson's brand has elected to produce this limited-production AN6552 flying jacket with the rust-red knit, making this copy reflective of an extremely rare wartime jacket and very striking, unique, and attractive. This is not, however, an exact copy of a specific WWII contractor's AN6552 flying jacket as the woven label in the lining bears the Buzz Rickson name and not an original-maker name; Buzz Rickson's has followed a policy of placing original-maker names only on the label of goods that copy a specific original maker.

The leather is really fabulous, being fully vegetable tanned and coming in at about 2.75-3 ounces in weight; it's robust and with body, as one would expect from top vegetable-tanned goatskin, but it is also delightfully and authentically comfortable, light in weight, and very flexible out of the box (for a vegetable-tanned leather). The grain is not overly large, but it is also not tiny. The finish is pure aniline with a glazing as a topcoat (very popular in 1940's leathers); both finishes are applied on naked leather, so they will fade and wear down over time form use to provide an awesome vintage look.

This model lives up the deserved reputation Buzz Rickson's has earned for making a superb USN goatskin intermediate flying jacket, offering super-authentic detailing, quality custom-made materials (the rayon lining is among the most authentic in weight I have seen, as is their single-play, rib-and-rack waistband ), and deft assembly throughout. No less wonderful and authentic is the genuine-fur collar that is the same quality some may be familiar with that is used on the Buzz Rickson's B-15 jackets, which is 1/2" in depth and so soft and cozy around one's neck.

I've been a huge fan of the overall USN leather intermediate jackets since I was gifted a 55-J-14 as a kid, which I wore for 2 decades before selling it off my back to a Japanese buyer at a show in the early 1990's, and the Buzz Rickson's leather USN intermediate jackets do indeed concur up those same great memories in looks, fit, and feel.

We have this model in stock in sizes 38-44, as well as the two different 7823 G-1 jackets Buzz offers this year, which will both be featured in coming days. Please enjoy!

https://www.historypreservation.com...c/buzz-rickson-an6552-u-s-navy-flying-jacket/

buzz rickson-AN6552-jacket-br80445-front.jpg
    buzz-rickson-an6552-jacket-br80445-lining-wo.png
    BR-AN6552-jacket-br80445-back.jpg
    buzz-rickson-an6552-jacket-br80445-collar-wo.png
    buzz-rickson-an6552-jacket-br80445-wind-flap-wo.png
    buzz-rickson-an6552-jacket-br80445-knit-band-wo.png
    buzz-rickson-an6552-jacket-br80445-collar-back-wo.png buzz-rickson-an6552-jacket-br80445-zip-wo.png
    buzz-rickson-an6552-jacket-br80445-label-small-wo.png

ShanghaiJack and Dav like this.
  19. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

Really enjoying my civilian USA-made Alpha N2B now that the cold weather is back (in spades) so I was reminded of this short discussion you and I had: any chance of a Gibson N2 jacket being made? It would be nice to get the Gibson treatment, i.e. a bit slimmer in the torso and a bit longer in the sleeves and torso.

HPA Rep likes this.
  20. HPA Rep

Thank you for recalling the dialogue and the inquiry. If demand is there, this could certainly happen. I'll be viewing the William Gibson 2020 items in February and will certainly post here if an N-2 is among the choices.

Buzz Rickson's made the William Gibson black N-3 years back with the natural-color coyote trim and brown fur in the hood and that is how I would like to see an N-2 done. What do you prefer?