Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Canteen...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So I was sitting here watching the classic movie Hollywood Canteen and I was wondering when it opened, when it closed and what happened to it - the usual info. With the computer in my lap, so I brought up Google to see what I could find out....

OK...before I continue...you made need a wastebasket or bucket to throw up in...
what's coming is like Internet Ipecac...

Brace yourself...you HAVE been warned...

There's now a rip-off club in Los Angeles named The Hollywood Canteen. You think you hear thunder in the distance? No, it's John Garfield & Bette Davis et al twirling in their graves, trying to claw their way to the surface.

The Hollywood Canteen, the hang-out for (wait - let me use the direct quote from their site) is a central hub for many “a list names in Hollywood” like Paris Hilton, Marylin Mason/Marylin Manson (their spelling). I would agree they're "a list" but I'm sure they were aiming for "A-list names." And those who they list are anything but what I would consider "A-list names" in Hollywood.

Just read their history page - hey, should we start a contest on who can find the most spelling or grammatical errors? I stopped counting at a dozen. Yes, indeedy, they have a website.

The background music is like a bad cross of record-scratching DJ, rap and bad Asian string-plucking... One might expect something along the lines of a little big band, the Andrews Sisters or something along those lines, owing to the history of the name. The site's main page does have a WWII motif and pictures of the original...to start with. Once you start investigating the site, it becomes clear they give not a crap for the original, although they call it "an homage" to the original.

And the heavens weep...

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
You where right...I threw up just a little in my mouth.

I'd actually been listening to Bob Hope wartime broadcasts just this week and yesterday was live from the Hollywood Canteen with special guest Betty Davis.

It's just another example of the lack of creativity in Hollywood (with the exception on any Loungers that live there of course).

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Let's play "spot the sentences that don't involve grammatical errors", shall we? :eusa_doh:

I miss where it's called "The Stage Door Canteen" - I'm just seeing "Hollywood Canteen" on the site. *yucky* I can't believe it. I wonder how on earth they got the name? Supposedly (and I quote):
"the Hollywood Canteen re-opened their doors at a new location on Santa Monica Boulevard within a few miles from it's original location."

Surely there's no tie-in beyond the name?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ShoreRoadLady - Sorry - my mistake - I was watching Stage Door Canteen as I was typing that and I goofed - the club I meant to reference is named Hollywood Canteen after the WWII Hollywood long-gone landmark. Stage Door Canteen was NYC's version - Broadway celebrities working there, entertaining & feeding the troops.

I went back just now and fixed my goof-up, so if you've read the original post and wonder why someone's mentioning Stage Door...now you know.

Chas

One Too Many
Oh, well. I guess even A-List pond scum need a place to hang out. I don't think that many of them can spell anyway, so the typos will probably go unnoticed in any case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana