Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homberg/Fedora?

The wife and I were watching an old WWII movie with Boris Karloff in it last night (missed the title). I mention this because I noticed one fellow wearing a strange hat. It had a Fedora crown with the two dents on either side and a C crown. The part that threw me was that it had a homberg brim. This actually was an interesting hat. I have never actually seen one like this.
Am I just not well traveled or too much of a novice? That look really worked for the wearer. I wonder......... Anyone else ever see such a creation? Was it just a creation of Hollywood or was it a popular style then?

Regards to all,

J

Ok, the movie was British Intelligence (1940) if that helps anyone.
"During WWI pretty German master spy Helene von Lorbeer is sent undercover to London to live with the family of a high-placed British official where she is to rendezvous with the butler Valdar, also a spy, and help him transmit secret war plans back to Germany."
Quite a movie and an interesting hat or fifty involved.

Regards to all,

J

Zane

Suspended
James I saw and brought back with me some pictures of a similar hat to study I am not sure if I can make it go onto here to view or not but will try to. Please tell me if your hat in reference is like this one.

Originally posted by Zane
James I saw and brought back with me some pictures of a similar hat to study I am not sure if I can make it go onto here to view or not but will try to. Please tell me if your hat in reference is like this one.

Actually the brim is more flat and upturned all the way around like a homberg. The crown is sort of the same but shorter. Thanks for the picture though. It does give some idea of what the hat looks like. I guess I will have to go buy the movie for the picture. :D
It probably is a hybrid no one ever actually produced. I like it though. Something about it is different.
Maybe I should post this question to the movie section. :D

Regards to all,

J

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
James, the hat pictured by Zane is actually from "The Age of Innocence" and if I recall Zane mentioned GH is working on reproducing it for a gentleman in Austria. How did you come about having this pic Zane? very cool!!

Zane

Suspended
Hi Art, I got the photo along with maybe a 100 or so other hat phots that Gladhatter is building or has built when I met earlier today. Dalia made me a CD ROM with just udlums of hats.

I made mention of how some folks had posted on forums that he would not show his hats and he indicated it was because he did not choose to just show off but said I was welcome to get a CD of them and do as I wished with them.

I personally think its a nice hat but not specifically for me. Charlie said he liked it so well he was thinking of making an extra for himself to wear when he dressed up.

On a side note just thought of it. He had a huge box of white Grosgrain sitting there and indicated he was thinking of offering you part of it as he got a double order sent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic