Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homeownership and Foreclosures, 1910-1960

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
An article by Steven Malanga in City Journal, Spring 2009 edition, discusses homeownership and foreclosures in the 20th century and today. Here's an excerpt from "Obsessive Housing Disorder":

We’ve largely forgotten that Herbert Hoover, as secretary of commerce, initiated the first major Washington campaign to boost homeownership. His motivation was the 1920 census, which had revealed a small dip in ownership rates since 1910—from 45.9 percent to 45.6 percent of all households. The downturn was likely the result of a temporary diversion of resources away from housing during World War I. For Hoover, though, the apocalypse seemed nigh. “Nothing is worse than increased tenancy and landlordism,” he warned—though surely many things were worse. With little justification, he predicted that in just a few decades, three-quarters of all Americans would be renters. The press echoed the urgency. “The nation’s stability [is] being undermined,” the New York Times editorialized. “The masses [are] losing their struggle for a better life.”

Without waiting to see if postwar prosperity might solve the problem, in 1922 Hoover launched the Own Your Own Home campaign, hailed at the time as unique in the nation’s history. “The home owner has a constructive aim in life,” Hoover said, exhorting Americans to buy property. “He works harder outside his home, he spends his leisure hours more profitably, and he and his family live a finer life and enjoy more of the comforts and cultivating influences of our modern civilization.” Hoover urged “the great lending institutions, the construction industry, the great real estate men . . . to counteract the growing menace” of tenancy. He pressed builders to turn to residential construction and employers to support the cause. Some, like United States Steel and General Motors, agreed to provide parks and other amenities for the new housing developments that proliferated in response to Hoover’s call.

Hoover also called for new rules that would let nationally chartered banks devote a greater share of lending to residential properties. Congress responded in 1927, and the freed-up banks dived into the market, despite signs that it was overheating. The great national effort seemed to pay off. From mid-1927 to mid-1929, national banks’ mortgage lending increased 45 percent. The New York Times applauded the “wave of homebuilding” that “swept over” America; the country was becoming “a nation of home owners.” The 1930 census would later reveal a significant elevation in ownership rates, to 47.8 percent of all households.

But beneath the surface were disquieting signs. For as homeownership grew, so did the rate of foreclosures. From just 2 percent of commercial bank mortgages in 1922, they rose to 9 percent in 1926 and to 11 percent in 1927. This happened, of course, just as the stock-market bubble of the late twenties was inflating dangerously, making the federal housing initiative all the more hazardous. Soon after the October 1929 Wall Street crash, the housing market began to collapse, just as in today’s crisis, though the reasons were slightly different: panicked depositors withdrew money from their accounts, prompting bank runs; the banks ran out of capital and stopped making loans; and the mortgage market seized up. Homeowners, who in that era typically had short-term mortgages that required several refinancings before being paid off, suddenly couldn’t find new loans. Defaults exploded—by 1933, some 1,000 homes were foreclosing every day.

The Own Your Own Home campaign had trapped many Americans in mortgages far beyond their reach. New homeowners who had heard throughout the initiative that “the measurement of a man’s patriotism and worth as a citizen” was owning a home, wrote housing policy expert Dorothy Rosenman in 1945, had been “swept up by the same wave of optimism that swept the rest of the nation.” Financial institutions were exposed as well. Their mortgage loans outstanding had more than doubled between the early twenties and 1930—from $9.2 billion to $22.6 billion—one reason that about 750 financial institutions failed in 1930 alone. Construction firms, too, were ensnared, since they had heeded the government’s call and shifted to residential building. Housing starts jumped from about 250,000 new homes a year in the early 1920s to nearly 600,000 after the housing campaign—before slumping more than 80 percent after the crash. Construction jobs fell 70 percent from 1929 to 1933.

You might think that the Own Your Own Home campaign would have taught Washington the danger of trying to force homeownership up. Instead, the feds responded to the crisis with the Home Owners’ Loan Corporation (HOLC), a New Deal bailout program that made government an even bigger player in the housing market. Congress designed the HOLC to buy up troubled mortgages from lenders and then let homeowners refinance the loans with the government on more affordable terms. In theory, this would both aid strapped homeowners and clear bad loans from banks’ books, allowing them to resume mortgage lending.

The HOLC was a massive new federal agency, employing at its height some 20,000 people—appraisers, loan officers, auditors. By 1936, the agency’s total payroll was $26.2 million, the equivalent of $388 million today. The HOLC eventually received 1.9 million applications for mortgages and approved 1 million. Despite the more favorable terms that the HOLC offered, however, about one-fifth of the new mortgages defaulted, a failure rate that would sink a private-sector bank. Many who failed to pay might have been able to, but chose not to work out any arrangement with the government and essentially challenged the feds to kick them out—which officials were reluctant to do in the face of public opposition. HOLC loan officers classified about 65 percent of the defaults as resulting either from borrowers’ “noncooperation” or “obstinate refusal,” according to an analysis by Columbia University economist C. Lowell Harriss. “This type of noncooperation could sometimes be attributed to a desire to obtain free housing . . . an object that, in view of HOLC’s nature, was not difficult to realize,” Harriss wrote.

Ultimately, the HOLC did file more than 200,000 foreclosure actions. And its purchase of bad loans never revived mortgage lending, which stayed flat for the rest of the decade. The nation’s economic fundamentals were so lousy that little demand existed for new home loans.

The Depression-era federal government created many other institutions to fix flaws in the mortgage market: the Federal Home Loan Bank system to provide a stable source of funds for banks; the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) to insure mortgages; the Federal National Mortgage Association (later known as Fannie Mae) to purchase those insured mortgages; and the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation to prevent future bank runs. These were valuable initiatives, but they meant that by the end of the Great Depression, the U.S. government had become the dominant force in the mortgage market.

Politicians could now use that regulated market to advance their own policy agendas—or their careers. Many housing experts of the time warned against this politicization, anticipating what was to come. Liberal housing advocate Charles Abrams, for example, publicly worried that as the Depression lifted, yet more new government plans to encourage homeownership would lure unsuspecting and unqualified lower-income families into the housing market. In a May 1946 McCall’s article, “Your Dream Home Foreclosed,” Abrams told American housewives that their “dream house will be loaded with booby traps.” The foundation of a stable economic system, Abrams argued, wasn’t a large percentage of homeowning families, as Hoover contended; it was “how sound the ownership is.”

Initially, Abrams’s fear might have seemed without basis. Intent on a postwar project of boosting homeownership, the federal government had passed the GI Bill in 1944, extending a range of benefits to returning veterans—including government-subsidized mortgages. With the feds footing a big part of the bill, the nation’s long-moribund mortgage market came alive, more than doubling in volume between 1945 and 1950. By 1949, more than half of American households owned homes, and 40 percent of the new mortgages were government-subsidized. And with the Housing Act of 1949, Washington made permanent the powerful role in the mortgage market that it had assumed during the Depression.

But as homeownership grew, political pressure to allow riskier loans increased, too—exactly what Abrams had cautioned against. Rising home prices, a result of a booming national economy, soon began to drive some homes out of reach for ordinary Americans, among them veterans returning from peacekeeping duties in Europe and later from fighting in Korea. Under pressure to keep meeting housing demand, the government began loosening its mortgage-lending standards—cutting the size of required down payments, approving loans with higher ratios of payments to income, and extending the terms of mortgages.

By attracting riskier home buyers, these moves provoked a surge in foreclosures on government-backed mortgages. The failure rate on FHA-insured loans spiked fivefold from 1950 to 1960, according to a 1970 National Bureau of Economic Research study, while the failure rate on mortgages made through the Veterans Administration nearly doubled over the same period. By contrast, the foreclosure rate of conventional mortgages barely increased, since many traditional lenders had maintained stricter underwriting standards, which had proved a good predictor of loan quality over the years.​

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
I was in a house that sets on Route 42 just north of Timberville, VA. It was built in the early '50s with several custom touches, most of which are still there. The one that stands out was a light switch in the bedroom that turned on an outlet in the kitchen for a coffee percolator. The original owner who had it built was foreclosed on six months later. The current owners have been in it ever since. A little off topic tidbit: I noticed pictures on the wall of Norman Schwartzkopf with their sons taken on a hunting trip in the Colorado Rockies probably three decades ago. These people have been lifelong friends with him (mainly she with Mrs. S whom she speaks with everyday on the phone), and have vacationed with them at their Rocky Mountain retreat. Norman and his wife have been in this humble little house many times, and the owners have had to shoo away people who found out he was there and wanted to meet him.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
With all due respect, these are some interesting historical facts, but I have rarely seen an article that is so biased and full of asides and conclusions having more to do with the writers agenda or at least opinions, than with the events.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Are you sure you're in the right thread?

Sounds like it to me. I think Jedburgh just wanted to add the little factoid about Stormin Norman to the story about the house built in the 50's and foreclosed on within 6 months.

At reepleat: Have you read the entire article or only the excerpt posted by Paisley? To be honest I have not yet read the whole article so I'm not passing judgement.

Matt

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
MPicciotto said:
Sounds like it to me. I think Jedburgh just wanted to add the little factoid about Stormin Norman to the story about the house built in the 50's and foreclosed on within 6 months.

At reepleat: Have you read the entire article or only the excerpt posted by Paisley? To be honest I have not yet read the whole article so I'm not passing judgement.

Matt

I just read what was posted. But a quick google of the author tells me, at least in my opinion, that I am not off base. he is far from a neutral historian or journalist.

I do appreciate the factual history part. It is interesting and certainly relates to what we are about here.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
reetpleat; thanks for your reply. I'll have to dig deeper. I would agree from the excerpt that the article was written with a political agenda, but have not dug deeper into the author's other works. I'm wondering how to keep this thread from becoming political and being closed. I just don't see a happy ending in it's future.

Even politics aside it is rather macabre to be discussing foreclosures. After all regardless of influences of banks, investors, mortgage companies or governments a foreclosure is still somebody out of a home, regardless of fault.

I therefore think I will bow out of the discussion. Thank you Paisley for the thread anyhow.

A Good Evening To All
Matt

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
MPicciotto said:
reetpleat; thanks for your reply. I'll have to dig deeper. I would agree from the excerpt that the article was written with a political agenda, but have not dug deeper into the author's other works. I'm wondering how to keep this thread from becoming political and being closed. I just don't see a happy ending in it's future.

Even politics aside it is rather macabre to be discussing foreclosures. After all regardless of influences of banks, investors, mortgage companies or governments a foreclosure is still somebody out of a home, regardless of fault.

I therefore think I will bow out of the discussion. Thank you Paisley for the thread anyhow.

A Good Evening To All
Matt

I often hold my tongue on political issues I am inclined to jump into. But I am a real estate agent and have strong ideas concerning lending, ownership, government programs etc. And while I will not share them here, as this forum is not the venue for them. I do feel the need to point out that this author has, not necessarily an agenda, but a strong political point of view he is not afraid to share. So, I wanted to point it out, lest people take it as strictly factual. apologies to bartenders if this is too political of me.

I do find it very interesting that even back then, politicians felt the need or desire to increase home ownership and had programs to that effect. I would like to know more about how they worked. I thought it was more recent, as in teh Great Society, etc when there were first government programs.

I also find it interesting to note levels of home ownership. I suppose lot of people in the midwest and west owned their own homes, being on farms etc, while most city dwellers did not. If rates were dropping, I would be curious to know if that was strictly economic, or due to migrations from farm to city, less free government land, or other things like that.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Most magazine articles do come from the author's viewpoint. I posted this excerpt to add to the Fedora Lounge's resources, not to promote a political point of view. The rest of the article contained too much politics to post here.

If you would like to discuss the politics of the article, there may be some links at the City Journal website to blogs that discuss the article.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
MPicciotto said:

Thank you for watching my back. I couldn't have said it better; much obliged. This is something I wouldn't have mentioned had it not been for this thread since it involved this particular long ago foreclosed on house and its current owners. That's why I noted it was off topic.

The reason the first owner lost it to foreclosure was because of all the upgrades/unique touches he just had to have, hence the special light switch for example. Yuppies haven't changed, even before they were called yuppies.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
OK. The parts about light switches, percolators and hunting trips threw me. People do, now and then, post to the wrong thread. There's no particular crime in it.

Now, back to homeownership and lending practices in the Golden Era.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
OK. The parts about light switches, percolators and hunting trips threw me. People do, now and then, post to the wrong thread. There's no particular crime in it.

Now, back to homeownership and lending practices in the Golden Era.

One thing that many forget is the great difference between the terms of a mortgage issued before the days of the New Deal and one issued after.

Before the 1930's, a typical mortgage was interest-only, for a term of five years. At the end of this term, the mortgagor would pay what he could toward the principal, and the mortgagee would then write a new mortgage for the balance. This system broke down entirely with the banking collapse that accompanied the Hoover Depression. Many banks were so capital-impaired that they were either unable, or unwilling to roll over their mortgagor's notes, and so foreclosures spiked. The FHA and the HOLC pioneered the concept of the 20/20 (20% down, 20 year term) long-term mortgage. After the War, this became the industry standard, at least until the great run-up in home prices of the 1970's made these terms seem unaffordable to many. By the early 1990's, 10/30 was typical, and , of course in the last decade we have been "blessed" with all manner of novel instruments for increasing the level of both home ownership and consumer debt.

It appears to me that the 20/20 mortgage was a great invention, one which helped to put the American housing economy on a sound footing. In hindsight it seems that any deviation form this standard leads to trouble.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Ah, yes, as it states in paragraph 5 of the excerpt:

Homeowners, who in that era typically had short-term mortgages that required several refinancings before being paid off, suddenly couldn’t find new loans. Defaults exploded—by 1933, some 1,000 homes were foreclosing every day.​

I think the 20-20 mortgage (20% down, 20-year payoff) is a good balance. Borrowers have a significant stake in the property when they buy it, and they don't have to spend most of their adult lives paying it off. In most markets, they at least can sell the property without owing money on it.

I don't like the idea of an interest-only loan. To me, it's the worst of both worlds if you're not paying down the principal: you have all the responsibilities of an owner but none of the equity. No doubt, there were those in the 20s in exactly that situation.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
vitanola said:
One thing that many forget is the great difference between the terms of a mortgage issued before the days of the New Deal and one issued after.

Before the 1930's, a typical mortgage was interest-only, for a term of five years. At the end of this term, the mortgagor would pay what he could toward the principal, and the mortgagee would then write a new mortgage for the balance. This system broke down entirely with the banking collapse that accompanied the Hoover Depression. Many banks were so capital-impaired that they were either unable, or unwilling to roll over their mortgagor's notes, and so foreclosures spiked. The FHA and the HOLC pioneered the concept of the 20/20 (20% down, 20 year term) long-term mortgage. After the War, this became the industry standard, at least until the great run-up in home prices of the 1970's made these terms seem unaffordable to many. By the early 1990's, 10/30 was typical, and , of course in the last decade we have been "blessed" with all manner of novel instruments for increasing the level of both home ownership and consumer debt.

It appears to me that the 20/20 mortgage was a great invention, one which helped to put the American housing economy on a sound footing. In hindsight it seems that any deviation form this standard leads to trouble.

Very few people can afford 20% down, with the cost of housing these days. And that cost is partially based on the cost of construction and population growth, so that is not likely to change.

FHA has been a workable system for many years. It was not, and is not a problem.

the problem of the recent era has been two fold. partly, no income verification loans. But more importantly, and one that few people understand, is the derivitives market, the packaging of loans and the multi tiered guaranteeing of loan packages in which a few people made a lot of money before it came crashing down. It is easy for the media to blame it on people buying houses they could not afford, but that was not the real problem. A big part of it seems to be banking deregulation that let this all go on and get out of hand.

No we are back to FHA guaranteed loans with 3.5% down, which seems to be an acceptable way to buy. I do agree that interest only is only suitable for some people in some situations. We can not count on rapidly appreciating prices anymore. although, don't think for a second we will not see similar run ups in the future.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
Very few people can afford 20% down, with the cost of housing these days. And that cost is partially based on the cost of construction and population growth, so that is not likely to change.

FHA has been a workable system for many years. It was not, and is not a problem.

the problem of the recent era has been two fold. partly, no income verification loans. But more importantly, and one that few people understand, is the derivitives market, the packaging of loans and the multi tiered guaranteeing of loan packages in which a few people made a lot of money before it came crashing down. It is easy for the media to blame it on people buying houses they could not afford, but that was not the real problem. A big part of it seems to be banking deregulation that let this all go on and get out of hand.

No we are back to FHA guaranteed loans with 3.5% down, which seems to be an acceptable way to buy. I do agree that interest only is only suitable for some people in some situations. We can not count on rapidly appreciating prices anymore. although, don't think for a second we will not see similar run ups in the future.

It appears to have been a perfect storm of banking deregulation, artificially low interest rates (held down by the FED to prevent the economy from falling into recession in the aftermath of the dot-com bust and the 9-11 attacks) and artfully conceived financial products.

Remember that the great losses in the financial sector have not been in the dodgy MBS products, but in the multiple Credit Default Swaps written on these securities. The counterparty exposure to these CDS products is on the order of ten times greater than the total of the underlying securities. All in all, the unwinding of these exposures has proceeded in a remarkably orderly fashion. Some feared considerably more economic dislocation.
Of course, we are only just beginning to see the carnage wrought in the
Alt-A, Pick-A-Pay, and CRE sectors. Of course the economy may e better braced for the shocks of these failures than it was for the initial popping of the housing bubble.

Housing prices have been, to a great extent, bid up to unrealistic heights by the availability of easy credit and cheap money. Historically the average home price has tracked at just about 2.6 times average income. In many markets it exceeded 5 times average income at the height of the bubble.

Housing prices still need to come down in many markets to reach equilibrium. It appears that they are now deflating in a more orderly fashion than they were in September of last year.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
vitanola said:
Housing prices have been, to a great extent, bid up to unrealistic heights by the availability of easy credit and cheap money. Historically the average home price has tracked at just about 2.6 times average income. In many markets it exceeded 5 times average income at the height of the bubble.

A bit of advice I've read and heard from self-made wealthy people is to buy a house that costs no more than 2 to 2.5 times your annual income.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
A bit of advice I've read and heard from self-made wealthy people is to buy a house that costs no more than 2 to 2.5 times your annual income.

Paisley and Vitonala,

This is excellent advice. Having over 25 years in this business, I can attest that anything "significantly' over 2 times annual income will ultimately be a problem--in good times or in bad. Of course, there are many other factors to consider, but this is certainly a good "rule of thumb" for getting past the "first gate".

I would also disagree with the blanket statement that insinuates the economic situation is a the result of "banking deregulation". This is much to general a statement to be useful. Your traditional community bank (deposit gathering model) has not been a contributer, with few exceptions, to this crisis. Granted, there have been some casualties in the aftermath but these traditional institutions certainly weren't the catalyst.

I would agree, however, that there has been a lack of supervision for your non-traditional Investment/Mortgage Bank that originate mortgages with exotic structures in instruments like mortgage type securities/derivatives. This is very much a different institution than your traditional community bank. Of course, it would also only be fair to acknowledge that these relatively newly created instruments are difficult to understand and, consequently, difficult to supervise. However, that is a much more involved discussion than we could appropriately, fairly or accurately have on FL.

John

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I have a little experience with affordable and unaffordable houses. If you're in a place you can easily afford, is reasonably close to work, and you aren't afraid for your safety in the neighborhood, stay put. The happiest people I've ever known lived within their means. Forget about keeping up with the Joneses. The Joneses either make twice as much as you do, or they're up to their eyeballs in debt.

My house cost around three times my income when I bought it (I'd have been buying a house in a slum otherwise). And yes, it was hard to scrape together mortgage payments during the numerous layoffs I went through when I was in the engineering field. Vacations, health insurance, entertainment, fun--forget it. I got through it OK, but I don't recommend it. Buy something well within your means--you'll be better off.

Back in the 70s, my parents and I lived in a little house, perfectly happy, I thought. Then we moved to a house they could barely afford, and I never knew a happy day there. Now that my father is almost 80, and my mother can't get around much, it's all he can do to take care of the place.

As for local lenders, I belong to a credit union. They mailed a letter to their members stating that they weren't involved in subprime loans, and the credit union was financial sound. But they were experiencing more defaults on car loans and such as a result of the subprime mess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21