Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hooded dryer dried wet sets or sleeping in a wet set overnight; which

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
do you all find makes more resilient, longer lasting curls?
I have fine, very straight, slightly below chin length, hair!

wahine

Practically Family
I've never tried a drying hood, but compared to regular blow drying and hot sticks, I get the best results with a pin curl wet set overnight. I got fine and straight hair, too, and this method is the best for me so far. All the setting lotions I've tried only result in the curl vanishing as soon as I start brushing my hair. So I just rinse with an apple vinegar / water mixture after washing and spray a bit of the same mixture when my hair is getting to dry while I set it (it dries awfully fast).

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
I have never heard of using apple cider vinegar as a setting lotion! I have only ever used to as a way to rinse product build up out of my hair once a week!! I shall give it a go!!

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
I think a combination of both works best. I like to sleep in my set and then finish it off with about 10 minutes under the hood while I do my make-up. I think if I tried only drying it under the hood I'd be there for hours. :)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Both deliver the same results: hair that has dried in the curler, so it shouldn't matter which way you dry it. I am under the dryer once a week in the fall and winter months and twice a week in the summer months. I just prefer to get it out of the way instead of sleeping in hard rollers. I cut my hair shorter so it takes less time to dry than it would have when my hair was down my back.

Kayrahbear

New in Town
I have to do both usually. I sleep in my wet set with a hair net over it, and then finish it off under the dryer in the morning. I have crazy thick, curly hair though. It would take almost an entire day for it to dry on its own.

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
Thanks, Ladies!
I prefer the hooded as sleeping in a set is really uncomfy for me :( But, I am going to get a perm in a month, or so, and that should cut down on the days I have to set my hair :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I like to use both for different reasons. As a general rule I just like to sleep in my sets, but if I have to set it (relatively) quickly, I use a bonnet dryer. When I use the bonnet dryer I find that after sitting under the heat for however long it takes, a 15 min shot of the cold setting before I am done helps to solidify the curls. :)

vintageTink

One Too Many
Rollers hurt my head to sleep in so I prefer the bonnet dryer; I can also read, paint my nails, and do other things while my hair dries.
But alas, I cannot find my bonnet dryer after our intra-state move! I'll probably need to buy a new one.

St. Louis

Practically Family
Okay, this is cheating. I know. Doesn't quite fit with my ongoing effort to live the golden era in every possible way. So sue me. When I'm in a hurry and I really want a pin curl set, I dampen down my hair, comb through setting lotion, and just set the hair around the face and at the ends with large pin curls. I have very curly hair, so smaller pin curls would turn me into Little Orphan Annie. And the larger pin curls certainly dry much faster. I let them air dry if I have time (this takes a couple of hours) or if I don't, I shoot them with a hand-held hair dryer, carefully remove the pins, and without combing or even touching the unpinned curls, leave them until they're completely cool and dry. Sometimes that means that I don't comb them out until I get to work -- could account for the horrified looks I get from fellow commuters on the road.

I use big 3" clips or very large bobby pins, and whatever setting lotion happens to be on sale. This solution works pretty well for me & holds for several days, though I don't know how well it would work for someone who needed smaller pin curls. Mine are at least 2 to 3 inches in diameter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch