Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horse hide break in

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
ive found that heating up the fqhh makes it very maleable. since the leather is stuffed with wax as a tanning method, heat would make it more inclined to be shaped. Has anyone taken a fqhh jacket, put it throught the drier and worn it when hot to mold it to your shape and get it to break that way? i'm interested in any feedback to my theory. i'll be testing it out soon myself.

ive found that heating up the fqhh makes it very maleable. since the leather is stuffed with wax as a tanning method, heat would make it more inclined to be shaped. Has anyone taken a fqhh jacket, put it throught the drier and worn it when hot to mold it to your shape and get it to break that way? i'm interested in any feedback to my theory. i'll be testing it out soon myself.
Tons of times!!! Doesn't Hurt it at all. But I keep it zipped up while drying just to make sure the liner doesn't get caught in the zipper, etc. it works great, and has helped me break in a few jackets. But, if you wetit first, it's a different ball game. So do it dry.

frussell

One Too Many
In this part of SoCal, it works just as well in the back of my hot car. I leave it in there while I'm out and about, then get it out and wear it back into the air-conditioned house, moving as exaggeratedly as I can. Seems to work great, and I don't have to wake up the baby with a clanking zipper in my dryer. Frank

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Tons of times!!! Doesn't Hurt it at all. But I keep it zipped up while drying just to make sure the liner doesn't get caught in the zipper, etc. it works great, and has helped me break in a few jackets. But, if you wetit first, it's a different ball game. So do it dry.

Scott ,
I thought if I wet the jacket slightly it would keep it soft before applying the drier. I also thought that using the drier regularly would remove the
natural moisture & eventually become stiff or brittle ! What's your take on this ? Thanks !
JG

Wetting will shrink some. I don't do it a lot, just maybe ten times over two weeks. That was enough. If its a tad large on you, dampening it first is fine. Just take it out frequently to check size.
If you did it too much, I'm sure it would indeed start to dry out. Just be careful, and it's safe. Took me some convincing the first time, but now I don't even sweat it.
Now I don't know how a jacket made like Aero's A-2 would do, it's a different hide and finish. I'm talking the FQHH here.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Last year I got into the habit of putting the jacket in the dryer for a few seconds to warm it up before going out in the cold.
(not too bright) but it was an old horsehide I've had for over 25 years ! Always learning something new…Thanks guys !

Tony B

One of the Regulars
That leather is tumbled (with wax and fat) in a large heated tub similar to a dryer for a week. That is how they work the fat and wax into it so it isn't on the leather to come off easily it is IN the leather, really in the leather, so eventually it would all work out and dry the leather out but it would take a long time.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
If my wife were responding, she'd have a million good ones:

"it's an aspirational name..."

"geldings are horses too...":drum:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto