Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide "bleeding" on shirts worn under the jacket

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Rayon linings can bleed when wet. A while back I had a new in box 1950's Foster G-1 jacket. The dark purple lining stained my shirt when soaked. No real problem as it washes out.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A quite relevant and timely thread i found today, as my new 1930s slim fit halfbelt just arrived today. man, first thing I noticed was how heavy that UPS box was!!!! some brick inside! then out came the jacket, the horsehide is 3mm thick, maybe 4 given the folding, and it's heavier than any Schott or American horsehide jacket i've ever seen. The color is a vintage cordovan, ha, right, the perfect candidate for bleeding. but it's almost summer now, so I've have to pack it away for the winter to test it. I have a feeling that it is actually going to bleed, here is why, it feels soaked!! the leather feels damp and soggy. I doubt that it got wet on the way, so I think it's the dye and the oil in the leather, the way it gravitates towards the earth is really like a wet jacket, I wonder how I can dry it??

regius

HD, it doesn't feel wet, in the sense that there is no surface wetness, but it's damp cold, and feel like a leather that's soaked but dried on the surface. I have a pair of modified Indy boots, the dark brown cordovan cowhide with the high tech rubber sole. It feels just like the Aero. And both colors match, although one is horse one is cow

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
A quite relevant and timely thread i found today, as my new 1930s slim fit halfbelt just arrived today. man, first thing I noticed was how heavy that UPS box was!!!! some brick inside! then out came the jacket, the horsehide is 3mm thick, maybe 4 given the folding, and it's heavier than any Schott or American horsehide jacket i've ever seen. The color is a vintage cordovan, ha, right, the perfect candidate for bleeding. but it's almost summer now, so I've have to pack it away for the winter to test it. I have a feeling that it is actually going to bleed, here is why, it feels soaked!! the leather feels damp and soggy. I doubt that it got wet on the way, so I think it's the dye and the oil in the leather, the way it gravitates towards the earth is really like a wet jacket, I wonder how I can dry it??

I have submerged my FQHH Aero halfbelt under water, for 15 minutes in hot water, then dried it to completely dry. It took about 3 days. That was after spinning it the washer, then doing about an hours worth of 10 minute low level warm air drying between taking it out and turning it inside out each time, then hanging it up. If your jacket has any H20 left in it, it will dry in a day or so after hanging it up, and if that won't do it, let it hang out in the backseat your car on a sunny day to drive any and all moisture out of it.

I know what you mean by heavy and damp feeling, I also have a Cordovan highwayman, that feels like it is wet, but it isn't. I have not had it bleed, maybe a little of the exterior finish rubbed off on my car leather seats but thats it.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
I know what you mean by heavy and damp feeling, I also have a Cordovan highwayman, that feels like it is wet, but it isn't. I have not had it bleed, maybe a little of the exterior finish rubbed off on my car leather seats but thats it.

I also have a cordovan Aero and have had a black Aero. Both the cordovan and black had this feeling when the leather was very warm but the black or cordovan never bled, fortunately. I found it easier breaking in the jacket when it was warm since it had more flex and drape. I don't know if it's a property of horsehide or the stuffing (wax) they put in the hide that makes it so stiff when it's cold. I wouldn't wait until it's really cool outside to start wearing the jacket.

How do you like the 30's half-belt in the FQHH - I'm debating goat versus FQHH in the 30's Half-Belt for my next jacket order.

regius

I also have a cordovan Aero and have had a black Aero. Both the cordovan and black had this feeling when the leather was very warm but the black or cordovan never bled, fortunately. I found it easier breaking in the jacket when it was warm since it had more flex and drape. I don't know if it's a property of horsehide or the stuffing (wax) they put in the hide that makes it so stiff when it's cold. I wouldn't wait until it's really cool outside to start wearing the jacket.

How do you like the 30's half-belt in the FQHH - I'm debating goat versus FQHH in the 30's Half-Belt for my next jacket order.

Hi Colorado, I tend to associate weight and substantiveness with value, it's just me, I know a lightweight high end A2 is just as good, but it still itches in me when thinking about its price (I have three Goodwears), thank goodness the GW A2 are heavy. So, this Cordovan is real stuff, so I like it, also, it is well made, nice beautiful shape, only problem is the armhole is too large and low, so very little reaching, but i guess this is the old-fashioned cut. I would be a little happier if the horsehide can be lighter, it's just wayyyyyy too heavy! If it's the veggie horse like on a A2 that'd be great.

Hi Colorado, I tend to associate weight and substantiveness with value, it's just me, I know a lightweight high end A2 is just as good, but it still itches in me when thinking about its price (I have three Goodwears), thank goodness the GW A2 are heavy. So, this Cordovan is real stuff, so I like it, also, it is well made, nice beautiful shape, only problem is the armhole is too large and low, so very little reaching, but i guess this is the old-fashioned cut. I would be a little happier if the horsehide can be lighter, it's just wayyyyyy too heavy! If it's the veggie horse like on a A2 that'd be great.
I'm like you, regius. But - over time, I've given up a little of that. Growing up in places like Montana and Pennsylvania where gear was made to be used for hard work, I learned early on to appreciate such things as heavy cow/bison/horse hides and the gear made of it. Now, I've come around some to the goat and thinner hides. but not too thin - I think the 1.1 mm stuff is my mental limit. I have some beautiful hide samples, but once they get thinner than that, I can't do it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany