Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide vs Goatshide

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
What are the major difference that people have experienced with a horsehide vs goatshide Jacket? I have read a number of different article on the difference but what has been the general experience of members of the forum? For example wieght issues, warmth and protectetion durability and so on.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Goatskin - Nearly indestructable, extremely resistant to tearing, generally very supple with good drape, very even pebble-grain surface. Doesn't break in very much, although some creases can develop at wear points and some form-fitting can occur. Usually thinner than horsehide or cowhide, but tough and water-resistant. Chosen by both the Air Force and Navy for their flight jackets for good reason!

Horsehide - Runs a wide gamut in toughness based on how thick it is and how it's tanned/finished, but is usually thicker than goatskin. Often very stiff and requiring substantial break-in effort, a very springy and creaky leather. Varies widely in the amount of grain and creasing, but this increases greatly during break-in: it ends up conforming to you for a very personalized fit and having major creases. A very substantial hide with unique properties: it doesn't really feel/fit like cowhide (though it is usually of similar toughness and thickness) and it has a much "harder" drape than goatskin or lambskin. A very different leather experience!

In terms of warmth/protection, both hides are relatively comparable (both "breathe" but are still water-resistant) - though horsehide often *seems* tougher with its harder drape... But note that this can vary *alot* based on individual hide thickness, and the kind of lining underneath and knits at the ends (if the jacket has 'em). Both leathers are very worth owning, though nowadays horsehide is rarer and more expensive.

Hope this helps...

matei

One Too Many
I had a custom jacket made for me last year. I originally wanted horse, but they ran out at the time, so I went with goat. The horsehide jacket was unbelievably heavy, but in a good way! It felt bulletproof. The goat is quite a bit lighter, yet heavier than lambskin jackets I have worn.

Since I received this jacket I have worn it daily and it hasn't shown the slightest bit of breaking in. From crowded Tube cars in London, to skin-soaking rain in Dublin and sub-zero blizzards in Romania... this leather looks more or less like it did on the day I received it. Perhaps 40 years from now it will look properly weathered!

I have heard that goat is warmer than horse, but that probably has a lot to do with how you layer the clothing beneath the jacket.

ldmax

Familiar Face
I have a US Authentic Goatskin A2. It had a very nice light pebble grain when brand new. It is now about three months old and has developed a gorgeous texture in the areas that flex more. Similar to the long striated creases that you typically see in horsehide, but more subtle. It will never have the "battle worn" look with the heavy creasing and lighter color showing through, but good quality goat will show a beautiful textured wear pattern. I have seen some older goatskin jackets that have a very warm, rich glow. Kinda looks like the hide was buffed with a light sander.

Regards,
Anthony Clark

Naphtali

Practically Family
Three things:

My father's horsehide A-1 received zero care in service, and zero care and much abuse from my older brother and me. It cracked at the left elbow in 1969.

When I was younger, and quality was generally affordable, the best professional baseball gloves were horsehide, not cowhide.

If I had to bet which material will last -- assuming high quality leather and vegetable tanning -- I'd bet on horsehide rather than goatskin.

If I wanted the most long-lived leather available, I'd want Kangaroo hide. There is at least one American manufacturer that has this option.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I always assumed horsehide is tougher and would last longer.

However, I read somewhere, (probably through a link from here) that goatskin actually wears longer. Although I like the horsehide for the character it develops and for the fact that the first A2's were made of horse.

Naphtali

Practically Family
You realize, of course, that we will tilt at this windmill until it, or us, falls.

I suspect that availability, cost, fit, contractor, or other will -- and should -- be LeFonque's deciding factors. He'll baby the jacket. He'll pass it to his children.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
I have jackets in both and for my money I think the goat is a little bit better. All else being equal, I prefer the drape and grain of the goat to the stiffness of horsehide. The one thing that I prefer about horse is the way the grain comes out with wear. You really don't get that from goat.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Solution.

Get one of each.

At least one, maybe even two or three, or,..........:)

They're all nice and all have their merits.

Personally I think I prefer Goat for the purpose of painting nose art on them as the grain does not come out over time to affect the painted image. But I absolutely love my horsehide too. I used to manage a Florsheim store, back in the eighties, and they carried a kangaroo leather shoe in their Royal Imperial line. Super soft, supple, and comfortable, but very prone to wrinkling as was mentioned. Not the most long wearing leather for shoes, but could make for an awesome jacket.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
Lace-up boots and shoes made of kangaroo hide were very popular in the early 1900s. In fact, kangaroo-hide footwear was sold in the U.S. up to the 1950s. Kangaroo is very smooth and shiny, but wrinkles terribly.

I have a pair of black and white spectators by Messini Disimor that have kanagroo leather uppers. Beautiful shoes. I had no idea kanagroo hide products were exported outside the country!

Monsieur Chevalier, if your posts aren't making me laugh due to your quick witticisms, then they're educating me. Merci!

Havana

One of the Regulars
Horse certainly has a cache like nothing else. I have heard that it can crack more easily than other leathers. I've seen some modern horsehide jackets that look great broken in and some others that looked terrible with extreme creasing and heavy wrinkles. That has kind of kept me on the fence in my own A-2 search. Quality goatskin is probably the best jacket leather overall but I personally want something more substantial feeling. I'm stuck between cowhide and horsehide. Cowhide is overlooked by many but they've got some great steerhides these days that are both thick and suprisingly supple. It's worth considering.

jake431

Practically Family
I'm a purist when it comes to A-2's - Horsehide or Goat. Other hides may have been used - there is no hard evidence existant - but those two hides definitely were. I think a quality horsehide jacket will last far longer than it will fit the wearer, most of the time. So, go with what you prefer in terms of looks, I don't think the wear will really be a factor.

-Jake

JWG

Familiar Face
It seems from a collector's point of view that the goatskin A2s have held up far better than the horsehide A2s over 60 plus years if that matters.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Benny Holiday said:
I had no idea kanagroo hide products were exported outside the country!
I once had a facsimile of a Fall, 1900 Sears catalog. It was full of kangaroo leather shoes and boots for men and women. Australia must have made a pretty penny on 'roos in those days!

Benny Holiday said:
Monsieur Chevalier, if your posts aren't making me laugh due to your quick witticisms, then they're educating me. Merci!
Toujours a pleasure, mate!

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
The only point I could add - in addition to those made above - is that, in terms of style, horsehide is snappier while goatskin is more mellow.

adam

New in Town
The Mad Hatter said:
The only point I could add - in addition to those made above - is that, in terms of style, horsehide is snappier while goatskin is more mellow.

I agree with that completely. My horsehide is a little, for lack of a better word, my "dressier" A-2, and my goatskin is more my everyday wearing jacket. I will say that the goatskin seems to take everyday wear pretty good... not too sure about the HH since I don't wear it out as often.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
To me "snappy" is not quite the same as "dressy;" while "mellow" is not quite the same as "casual. My Aero Indian Goatskin A-2 is more elegant than my Aero horsehide Trail Rider ( shown in my avatar at left ); so it is actually the dressier. My snappy Trail Rider is also quite rugged. "Snappy" has an edge; while "mellow" is smooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch