Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hot Weather Footwear

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Pardon if this has been covered.
I live in Southern California and I wondered what others on the forum wear during those too-hot-for-shoes days.
What do you wear with shorts?
Doesnt have to be vintage.
Looking for flip-flop and Timbeland sandal alternatives.
Curious.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The past few warm seasons, I've been partial to the rock climbing type of shoe with rounded edges to the sole. They remind me of vintage bicycle or track shoes, but have good support for walking.

The Palladium Brussel is on closeout now, when you can find it. Unfortunately this means many sizes are gone.
f_84382_1.jpg

The Timberland Mount Rainier Oxford is so closed out I can't even find a pic online. This for a shoe that might be 3 years old, tops. [huh] There are styles still sold with this name, but the design is very updated.

chuckknight

New in Town
I love Palladiums...they make some very classic styles, and some others that have a "new classic" styling. All are well made, too.

Other options, especially for shorts, would include canvas sneakers (Converse or similar...made for the better part of a century), or sandals, preferably something vintage looking. Birkenstocks have remained largely unchanged for a similarly long time, and are wonderfully comfortable.

Wildly popular in California, too.

Desert boots would also be an option...wonderfully classic, depending on your own personality.

-- Chuck Knight

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not exactly shoes ...

For hot weather I like those karate shoes. The kinds with the extremely thin brown plastic sole and the black cloth upper. They are cheap, less than 6 bucks, usually. I find them incredibly comfortable. If not that, then Winos, preferably lace-up if you can find them. The slip-ons don't look as good, but they are acceptable.

I have walked many miles in both and I love them. They look better with socks, but they don't require socks.

Edward

Bartender
I have a couple of pairs of modern style sandals. One pair I bought years ago when I was suffering from a very badly ingrown toenail, the other was for a costume (I went to a "Movies, Myths and Legends" costume party as Thesius). I don't really ever wear them now, though - maybe just round the flat in warm weather, or out onto the communal walkway to drop my rubbish down the chute. I tend still to stick with leather shoes for most of the Summer, though I always have a few pairs of Converse-style gutties about for casual wear (never actual Converse - much as I loved them - since the Nike buyout). What I am looking for, if I can find them, are a couple of pairs of Spectators with leather and canvas uppers. You know the type, where the bit that is usually the lighter colour is a heavy canvas instead of leather. Brown and cream and black and grey would be great. If I could find those affordably, those would be my shoes of choice with trousers or a suit throughout the Summer.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I should mention that both types of the climber-type shoes I wear are comfortable sockless, and can be slipped on and off when the top two eyelets are bypassed.

I particularly like the Palladiums for their grainy oil tanned leather, which goes great with a flight jacket in the shoulder seasons (ie: right now).

Abyss

Familiar Face
I'm currently wearing Hot Weather Desert Boots like what the military uses, and they've been surprisingly cool for boots. But we'll see what they are like when the temperature breaks the triple digits...

If you check with a good sporting goods store or camping supply they may carry sandals that are used by the rafting crowd. Sandals while not dressy are good for the extreme heat and the rafting type are excellent for in and out of the water applications unlike leather. During the hottest days I have often spritzed my feet with water when I have on my sandals. I can't think of the brand it is something like Avaya.

Hot weather shoes and boots use the rough side out leather which breathes better than sealed, tanned leather. My army style tan desert boots are pretty good, too.

I have always associated wearing leather sandals and socks with Europeans visiting the US.

Mojave Jack said:
For casual wear, I think huraches are great, and are a very traditional hot weather shoe. This pair is from TravelSmith, but there are many types available, both open and closed toe.

You do have a bit of leeway when it come to tropical dressy, those are pretty nice.

renor27

One of the Regulars
hot weather footwear for Nv

For the warmer weather here in the great basin high desert. I have found that
Clark's Desert Boots work very well with both long pants and shorts. Can go with short sock or if feeling daring then long British sock ala the desert rats North Africa say 1941.
Also sandals leather again from Clark's ( trend here ) got the last pair off E-bay went with again some that look vintage
I also do have a pair of Chacos made in Col and very outdoorsy ,made for river rafting. They are great if I am doing a lot of hiking or am taking the dog for a swim @ the river and it always seems that I end up joining her in the water playing.
I like my feet to be cool and what ever I wear they must look right with my WPG shorts.
David

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I love the look of the desert boots, but I just can't find a pair that fits me well. The Clark's just don't have the arch support I need, and the Cabela's ate holes in my heel. My wife even gave her blessing for wearing them with shorts.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
I love the look of the desert boots, but I just can't find a pair that fits me well. The Clark's just don't have the arch support I need, and the Cabela's ate holes in my heel. My wife even gave her blessing for wearing them with shorts.

Maybe Loake Sahara? I'm not sure how comfortable they'd be in the field, but I've a pair on order at the moment for warm weather walking in town and country.

Or perhaps try a British Army desert ankle boot, made in various styles over the years. These can be very cheap on army surplus sites.

Edit: Search "desert boots".

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Creeping Past said:
Maybe Loake Sahara? I'm not sure how comfortable they'd be in the field, but I've a pair on order at the moment for warm weather walking in town and country.

Or perhaps try a British Army desert ankle boot, made in various styles over the years. These can be very cheap on army surplus sites (the relevant links evade me at the moment).
That's the site I was just visiting! We must have been cross-posting.

The problem is trying to find any of these options Stateside. I'm about done ordering boots via the Web, especially internationally. I got a pair of boots from Israel that didn't work out, and what a hassle. I need a body double in the UK that can try boots on for me, and ship them over once I'm sure they'll fit. Alternatively, and slightly more realistically, I can find a distributer around here. Fat chance, I'm afraid.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Might try out Chaco sandals.

I have a pair of the Z2s. They look kinda funny but they're really, really comfortable, and durable. I know of a guy that hiked the Appalachian trail with them one summer, without any other shoes.

www.chacousa.com

John in Covina said:
If you check with a good sporting goods store or camping supply they may carry sandals that are used by the rafting crowd. Sandals while not dressy are good for the extreme heat and the rafting type are excellent for in and out of the water applications unlike leather. During the hottest days I have often spritzed my feet with water when I have on my sandals. I can't think of the brand it is something like Avaya.
just remembered the brand name TEVA!!!! I have a pair i have had for a long time and they are still going strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21