Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How’s the burn-rate on your wine rack during quarantine?

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really love Portugal, the people, the country the kitchen and their so very excellent Tintos.
We also got some German reds which will probably not survive the coming two weeks. Once we can travel again the stock will get re-filled.

Tiki Tom

Do please educate us about German red wines. I know (or think I know) it is a small percentage of all German wine produced, but that is about all I know. I think most people associate red wine with more southern climates.

Turnip

I’m for sure way too uneducated myself to educate anyone else.

As a first step VDP is always a safe bet in any segment from simple to high end.

Thanks to global warming Germany comes more and more in a position to produce some nice medium heavy reds meanwhile.

Markus Schneider does some nice reds for example, I also like the many good Pinot Noir from Baden, such as Lämmlin Schindler for example.

Just visit and try, Baden/Alsace is definitely worth a visit, for all senses.

Hope this might be helpful for the first.

Turnip

Turnip

This one yesterday, quite a friendly red cuvée

71h-uxtdXYL._AC_SY606_.jpg

Tiki Tom

Thanks to global warming Germany comes more and more in a position to produce some nice medium heavy reds meanwhile.

Definitely something to watch. I can testify that Sparkling Wine from southern England is now a serious thing. Who would have thought it? Of more concern are stories that Bordeaux’s famous quality will decline due to rising temperatures. Already the average Bordeaux harvest date has moved forward by almost a month. Red wine from Austria can now be quite good. I suspect that in a decade German red wines will also be a hot topic.

Turnip

Hasn’t always to be the usual mid-lower end stuff for me.

I remember once having stopped over in Auggen/Baden for a night in November. Simple restaurant, excellent game goulash and a simple red cuvée that literally knocked the putty out our glasses...:)

Just about 7,- bucks, one of those „right-here-right-now-wines/experiences“.

03-41852615C-1.jpg

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Do please educate us about German red wines. I know (or think I know) it is a small percentage of all German wine produced, but that is about all I know. I think most people associate red wine with more southern climates.
Admittedly Liebfraumilch is not a red wine and it must be more than fifty years ago when I first tasted it. How agreeable it is, a perfect foil for almost any cheese. Confession time, it wasn't until the internet came along that I found out that Liebfraumilch & Liebfrauenkirche were one and the same. I used to think they were different, even to one time pompously declaring the latter inferior. Oh dear.

Tiki Tom

I remember once having stopped over in Auggen/Baden for a night in November. Simple restaurant, excellent game goulash and a simple red cuvée that literally knocked the putty out our glasses...:)

That is exactly what I love: those unexpected discoveries of local wines going magnificently with local dishes. Game goulash? A local cuvée? One of the small things that make life worth living. Throw in a fireplace and a beloved dinner companion and it becomes heaven on earth.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Three bottles of Jacob’s Creek Shiraz per week. Once we demobilise at the end of this covid response I am definitely going to cut back.

my wife occasionally buys me some nice wines but I’m happy enough with the cheap stuff.

She has also given me quite a few samplers (whiskey and rum, mostly) sent by vendors looking for new ways to shmooz clients. I’ve enjoyed those a lot. Since I never buy the hard stuff.

Turnip

That is exactly what I love: those unexpected discoveries of local wines going magnificently with local dishes. Game goulash? A local cuvée? One of the small things that make life worth living. Throw in a fireplace and a beloved dinner companion and it becomes heaven on earth.

In fact it has been exactly that. Though a fireplace has not been on site we took a lovely walk back to our farmyard B&B through the wonderfully late autumnal town, surrounded by faint whiffs of wood smoke from the fireplaces of the houses around.

Tiki Tom

Surprising —-especially to me—— is the fact that, even in these work from home times, my wine consumption has leveled off again (after an initial jump) and returned to more-or-less the old dull level. The novelty has worn off, I suppose. Also, hopes of becoming a big game hunting whisky drinker aside, I’m really just a red wine kind of guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo