Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How a bicycle is made - 1945

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, the narration certainly personifies the old saying, "No sex please, we're British." But what a fun film! This exemplifies the old fashioned British approach to manufacturing, both the good and the bad. A LOT of hand processes, and an enjoyment of the artisanal way of life. I can imagine them putting together Spitfires tha same way. They say the Mustang had barely half the total number of arts that a Spit had.
And just think 999 out of every thousand of those beautiful bikes is now random iron molecules.
I wonder what brand they are. Also, it looks like they have the old fashioned ;ever action hand brakes, rather than the wired based ones. More extremely meticulous part making for those.
I imagine this is Paddy's favorite (favourite?) video of all time.
I want one of those babies!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
A lot of cycle manufacturers eventually went on to produce motorcycles. For years I had a Rudge, that had lever action brakes 1950s I think. BSA was of course another popular cycle, do they still make them?
I now have to dig out my old DvD of Bicycle Thieves, that old 1940s Italian classic. Amateur acting, BW, but a brilliant story with a powerful ending. A Classic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21