Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I remove old finish on boots?

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Many years ago when young and fond of breaking rules, some friends and I coated some boots with Kiwi Honor Guard Instant Spit Shine so we wouldn't have to polish them.

http://www.kiwicare.com/kiwimcmssite/us/products/leather/honor-guard-instant-spit-shine.html

The coating certainly accomplished the goal! lol But now these boots are sitting in my closet and looking kind of ridiculous, but worse than that, any type of conditioner I attempt to apply, such as Obenauf's, just wipes right off. I'd like to strip this coating off mainly so I can get back to the leather surface and put some Obenauf's on it so the leather doesn't crack. The coating really is almost like paint, and I'm looking for ideas on how to strip it off.

Any suggestions?

Andy B.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Would you be kind enough to share your boot refurb project (including photos) with fellow members? :)

Alistar79

Familiar Face
I saw on the net that white spirit helps.
Not tried it myself yet but am planning to this weekend.
Tomasso who's that old bruiser in your avatar?

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Would you be kind enough to share your boot refurb project (including photos) with fellow members? :)

Not that there's much to see. They are an old pair of Corcoran Tanker boots that I bought to enhance my laziness for monthly Army Reserve drills. It didn't last long as the higher-ups deemed the several of us who attempted this trick were stretching the rules a bit too much and we were told after several months we could no longer wear them. So jump forward a score or so, and I'm sick of seeing them in my closet, and they could probably use some conditioner.

tanker.jpg

I tried MEK, carb cleaner, and paint reducer. None had any effect. The only thing that worked was acetone. I soaked a rag in it, and laid it on a section for a minute, and once the Instant Spit Shine started softening I scrubbed it off. It took a while, but I got most of it off.

tanker2.jpg

Then I let them air out and put some Obenauf's oil on them. I'll wait a week or two and then put on a coat of Obenauf's LP. I'm just going to wear them working around my house. They've been sitting in the closet doing nothing and I hate to see them just sit there and dry out.

I would not recommend anyone use Instant Spit Shine. After this incident (the original one 20+ years ago), I only ever did a REAL spit shine, which is much easier to touch up or strip off. lol I don't do spit shines anymore, just horsehair brush buffing.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Good to see the acetone worked out for you. And thanks for the heads up on Instant Spit Shine.....as if....;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112