Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How difficult to re-block a straw hat crown?

dnjan

One Too Many
I would like to re-block the homburg-style center dent on my PanamaBob hat. My problem is that my head is what I call a "7-1/8 DO" (diagonal oval). When I put a hat on so that it matches my head shape, the allignment of the center dent is closer to over my eye than lined up with the center of my face.
This isn't a problem with felt hats - they seem to accomodate when I twist the hat a bit so the dent lines up. That also works with a cheap Panama as well as a palm-fibre hat. But with the nice hat from PanamaBob, the thickness of the brim is so thin that twisting the hat to allign it with my face puts a nasty "wonk" in the brim.
I am guessing that the easiest option would be to re-block the center dent so it lines up correctly when I wear the hat. But can I do this myself? Or will I need to send it out for re-blocking?

Thanks for any/all advice!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I recall a similar problem discussed recently re: the irregular head shape making a hat sit crooked, and the solution was to pad the sweatband strategically to compensate for the hat's rotation. Maybe this would work for you. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy