Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Last week we went out for our anniversary to an old line restaurant in Dayton, The Oakwood Club. This place has been around since hats were more in vogue, and still has a hat/coat check room. When I walked in, the lady dutifully asked if she could take my hat. When I handed it to her, she asked whether I wanted it stored brim up or brim down.

Nice touch.

She got a little extra tip for that.

Super experience, Jim! How cool is that?!!

The last time I was in a place with a coat/hat check room, (a Conservative Jewish Temple in Boston) they even had the claim "token" do-dahs for every corresponding hanger there; one for your hat, and one for your coat. Super detailed control, so not to have any fights break out over a wrong item! Tough crowd there, y'know!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Going in to the doc's office yesterday as a couple was coming out. Big guy with a cane, real nice western boots and a large brim, sure-to-be-Joao-approved western hat with a Cattleman crease, and his wife. She took one look at me, turned to face me and said "You look like a guitar player, you know, with the beard and hat and everything!" I replied, "saxophone," and the guy said "perfect!" I told him I was checking out his hat and he's lookin' pretty sharp with the hat, boots and all. Fun.

i-2cRMXbJ-XL.jpg

Nolucker

New in Town
So today I was walking down Lexington Avenue in the rain towards my office(after a 1 and a half hour trip from Brooklyn, about 15 miles) and a nattily dressed gent said to me, "that's a great looking hat", referring to my BGG campdraft. I thanked him, and he pointed to his baseball cap and said"this is bull, just wearing it in the rain. I'm a hat man myself". I do notice more fedoras in NY these days, maybe because I look for them.

RJR

Going in to the doc's office yesterday as a couple was coming out. Big guy with a cane, real nice western boots and a large brim, sure-to-be-Joao-approved western hat with a Cattleman crease, and his wife. She took one look at me, turned to face me and said "You look like a guitar player, you know, with the beard and hat and everything!" I replied, "saxophone," and the guy said "perfect!" I told him I was checking out his hat and he's lookin' pretty sharp with the hat, boots and all. Fun.

i-2cRMXbJ-XL.jpg
:cool:

Interestng reaction -or non-reaction - I got during my trip to the barbershop. Neither positive nor negative, just a couple of looks. I guess I'll take it. At least no one threw rocks at me, right? (I wonder if was because I ended up wearing my Cavanaugh Edge instead of the Dobbs???)

Absolutely due to the Cavanagh edge, Mike! The Cav is known for having soothing effects... :rolleyes: Always a great look; GOOD choice!!

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
This shirt gets a lot more comments than the hat. Best comment was: "You even have a shirt that wears a hat."
I've nothing against the sombrero, but I wouldn't wear one. Young Brit guys go to Spain for a couple of weeks of sun & sangria and come back wearing some sort of pastiche of a sombrero.
View attachment 72873
That is a nice shirt. After thirty years living in Hawaii, I have a fair collection of Aloha shirts myself. They don't get much wear now that I am in Alaska though.

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
I recently passed a milestone. At 67, they let me put "Grey" for hair color on my new drivers licence.
Several years ago I had one of those sobering experiences. It was a pistol purchase permit and the young admin assistant at the Sherrif's office entered Grey for my hair color. My hair was always dark brown/black for my entire life and despite the fact that I had been greying since my latter thirtys, I was like"damn, I'm grey now?" Now I'm just happy to still have my own hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zignice