how do you fold your jacket?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by navetsea, Apr 12, 2018.

1. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

well, from other thread... I'm now curious as how do you guys fold your leather jacket,
    this is how I do it when I took off my jacket and leave it in the car.
    [​IMG]
    it is not the prettiest presentation of the jacket, but in my own thought process it is the "safest" for not creating unwanted strange creases.

I thought since the rear panel is most of the time bigger than the front it is more logical to fold it forward, and also since our torso is mostly only bending forward (unless you're a gymnast) it is more likely to get the folding lines blended with other creases on the front panel, while on the back it would be a lonely folding mark for a really long time because if our jacket fits well, there is minimal rear panel creases ever developing from wearing, and I fold the sleeve in following the elbow line since the inner panel of the sleeve is already slightly curved I just follow it.

how do you guys do yours?

red devil likes this.
  2. Dav

Dav One Too Many

I've never felt the need to fold a jacket, if it's not on me or a hanger it's usually just thrown on a chair. If I take it of to drive it'll be thrown on the passenger seat or possibly the foot well if I've left the dogs in there.

3. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Worn jackets are either on me or thrown somewhere in a pile.
    If not worn for a while they go on hangers in the closet.

I didn't know this new "crease phobia" movement existed! I thought we liked creased and worn jackets around here?
    I don't think the crease war can be won, so i don't fight it, i embrace it!

[​IMG]

tropicalbob, dan_t, raulm1961 and 2 others like this.
  4. sweetfights

sweetfights My Mail is Forwarded Here

When I take it off I throw it over a chair. I just toss it when removing and throw it someplace safe ie. gets too hot in the car, rip it off and throw it somewhere in the back seat.
    Done for a few months of season? - then gets hung on a decent hanger to maintain shoulders. I however never hang it by a clothes/jacket peg so often seen in offices. With a jacket so heavy would not want concentrated stretch holding it by the back of the neck.

Flightengineer, Mich486 and Dav like this.
  5. Downunder G Man

Downunder G Man One Too Many

Lying flat on the back seat of the car , never "worn" on a car journey

Over the back of a chair at work

100% on a good hanger when at home.

100% on my back when riding a motorcycle

In reality , most of them are on the hanger at home 99.9% of the time

No "folding" ever for me !

navetsea, JMax, ksozay and 1 other person like this.
  6. Don't think I ever folded one of my jackets. Come to think of it, I did fold one in a box that I sent to Thurston Bros. Folded it something like you illustrated navetsea.
    HD

navetsea and Flightengineer like this.
  7. Monitor

Monitor

Same as the OP except that I cross the sleeves.

Flightengineer likes this.
  8. sweetfights

And I feel compelled to say, as I share with my son---- Never leave your leather jacket unattended in a restaurant, bar etc.. Just a matter of time before it goes missing......
    Stays on my body or otherwise secure.

9. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Fold just as Monitor does. But only when it’s being shipped. Light ones go on hangers or laid down flat. Heavies go on chair or laid down flat on pile below lighter ones. Or stood up lol

10. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

That jacket looks like it will perfectly fit in a small fedex box to ship to Fort Lauderdale. I will PM my address once you let me know the box is ready. Cheers.

Ha, one of my favorite jackets on FL.

Peacoat and Carlos840 like this.
  11. red devil

red devil My Mail is Forwarded Here

At home, all my jackets are on hangers. If I need to put one in a suit case, I fold it the same way as a suit jacket.

navetsea likes this.
  12. Monitor

Monitor

Legit warning - someone actually tried to nick my jacket in a night club. And I didn't even leave the jacket unattended, it was right next to me, laid over the chair and this dude that was passing by just sorta picked it up. Vanson trucker jacket. Funny thing, the guy was dressed in that 50's rockabilly stuff from head to toe. All authentic. Even the glasses. I guess he figured the jacket would've made a nice edition to his little costume...

navetsea, El Marro and sweetfights like this.
  13. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

On wide hangers equipped with thick foam pipe insulation. They used to be in individual drawers, maybe two per drawer, but I like to look at them hanging in the closet in all their glory. Plus, easier to get to.

14. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

769AD9E8-95C4-4100-9628-F5EFA481176C.jpeg My scientific technique involves a great amount of lazy. I like organic creases.
    Works great too!
    Be well. Bowen

technovox, dan_t, Dav and 4 others like this.
  15. AbbaDatDeHat

Agreed!! Same goes for watches, hats and girlfriends!!
    Be well. Bowen

El Marro and sweetfights like this.
  16. sweetfights

Oh damn. It is so true. Same story from a buddy but in his case he went to the washroom, came back and saw a dude walking out with his leather jacket which was on the back of his chair. He chased the dude outside and said "that's my jacket", the dude responded by apologizing and saying he must have picked up the wrong jacket. Funny thing, dude never went back inside for "his" jacket.

Your Vanson Trucker would have been a very sad loss!!!

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  17. sweetfights

LOL- girlfriends!! What about a wife??

18. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I generally roll them up and put them in boxes when not worn or stacked on a chair on draped on the back seat of the car. Never folded.

Creases are something to watch. I have had 4 used jackets that had thick, even creases down sleeves or down the back made by people who folded the jackets and left them like that, perhaps for years. Those deep, long and even creases look pretty terrible and never go away.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  19. AbbaDatDeHat

Ha...me thinks if you gotta worry about your wife...you better get a girlfriend.
    B

PeterO, torfjord, Mich486 and 4 others like this.
  20. ai00344

ai00344 One of the Regulars

Interesting topic, I take a bit of a different approach than the OP. I like to crumple up my FQHH in a ball and sit on it while I’m at work. I find it helps with the break in process. I like creases and wrinkles, different strokes I guess

technovox, Carlos840, Dav and 2 others like this.