Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you like my new AVATAR... need help finding something!

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
As you can probally gather at one point my new avatar use to be Ernest Hemingway... one of my heroes. I love how he looked at life and the adventures he went on and I hope to make my life like his... sans 4 wifes and the hold shotgun thing near the end. Anyway... I'm looking for a sweater ike the one in the avatar... the FAMOUS Hemingway sweater. So if you run accross one on the net let me know PLEASE. I'm looking as well but the more eyes the better. And seriously what do you all think of the new avatar.

-DocIndyJones

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Rather like John the Baptist, at the end...

lol

I think that the iconic part of the Karsh photograph is the face itself, the beard in particular. So grow a beard. You might be able to work with something from his younger days. There's no single image that screams PAPA the way the Karsh image does, but you might be able to use something from his time with the Red Cross.

e.%20hemingway%201-a.jpg

EDIT: Just saw your office. Nice. You have another Hemingway shot with your mug attached. That's a good one... funny. Nice work.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Roll-neck pullover

That's not like a British military item. The closest would be the Royal Navy jersey (aka Submariner's Jersey). Jerseys of the kind shown wee very common prewar. It's in very heavy wool. You should be able to obtain a pattern. I would recommend either finding someone to knit it for you or (like I did) learn to knit by making one yourself. Even if you can't do it when you start, you'll be able to do it when you finish!

Bart

Familiar Face
Beardless avatar

"sans 4 wives but hold the shotgun thing in the end" I'd hope so, but he was a wacko all the way. Really want to emulate him? Hmmm

As for the sweater, I bought a navy submariner's turtleneck about 10 years ago from Cabelas, a tight knit heavy wool which holds its shape especially the neck. Wish I scoffed up a dozen, best sweater I own.

Looking for more, I tried the vintage uniform and leather flight jacket web sites to no avail. Wish I could find some more. Natural and black would be good too. But they are either German or British origin as far as I know.

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Good luck...

...finding a sweater like that. It was a one-of-a-kind item. According to Karsh, the photographer:

"The sweater Hemingway wore in my photograph was chosen by me from a selection offered by Hemingway and his wife, Miss Mary. Miss Mary was especially delighted that I had chosen this suede-and-hand-knit garment because it was her gift to Hemingway for his birthday. She had it especially designed for him by the great couturier Christian Dior, and was not a little taken aback when she received his bill--the equivalent of one month's housekeeping allowance."

That said, I very much like that photo -- but the photo of Hemingway I have hanging in my office is of him sitting at his desk working. As for ending his life with the shotgun, my ex-wife used to complain that all my favorite writers and artists ended up shooting themselves. "That's not true," I told her. "Some of them drank themselves to death."

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Jake Fink: No...

...it's this one.

http://www.fadedgiant.net/html/hemingway_ernest_safari_africa.htm

(Sorry, you'll have to follow the link.)

And I misspoke myself: I should have said he was at a table, not "at his desk." But I guess it's the same thing. I'm a writer and photographer, myself, and wherever I sit down to write is "my desk." Also, most of my portraits are done outside, with natural light, so wherever I am working with a camera becomes "my studio."

Back to the topic at hand, I like the new avatar, but agree with the previously mentioned opinion that a younger man would be better to replicate a photo of a younger Hemingway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner