Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you save a smoked cigar ?

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
How does one save a Cigar ? There are times when you can't smoke it all. I dislike leaving a half smoked cigar especially expensive ones. I tried putting it back in a humidor but it stank it up. I usually smoke the whole thing but lately I've had to put them on hold.

warbird

One Too Many
Get some smaller cigars. First let them go out on their own. Second you don't wanna fire that puppy back up if it has been sitting longer than an hour or so. They get yuck. And they will stink up everything. There are some excellent choices in petit coronas out there. Great smokes quick smokes.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I agree either let it go or no more than an hour. And cut the end off and blow out on it. Also never stick it back in a humidor or you will have an AWFUL stench mess!:eek: :D

rikrdo

A-List Customer
as you are letting it go out on its own, every 30 sec or so blow OUT thru the cigar.......most will die within 5 min or so.
When its out, scoop out ALL the old ash with a pick of some sort, so that there is only fresh tobacco remaining.
Then blow OUT some more, another 4-5 puffs to rid all of the stale smoke.
Even with all of this hoopla, the cigar is NEVER as good once it goes out for an extended period of time.

The others guys have it right..........Once you light it, finish it.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Gentlemen thank you, guess I'll start ordering 5 x 50s instead of the Churchills. How do you Gentlemen handle the hard draw ? I had a Cuban neighbor when I was a kid who always put a toothpick in the end. I always wondered why he did it guess I'll try that.

Bassman

A-List Customer
While many folks dislike the flavor of a re-lit cigar, I've had success by putting the partially smoked cigar into a glass tubo with a cork plug (from another cigar...an RP Vintage '92 I think). The cigar goes out on its own and when I want to re-light it, I slightly pinch the burnt end to detatch the chared portion, blow through the cigar (purge) before and during lighting it, and I enjoy the remainder. Your mileage may vary.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I've never had a good re-lit cigar.
I'd order and smoke smaller cigars. Not only does it make it less likely you'll waste a cigar or have to put it down and relight, it also gives you a chance at some variety should you have the time and/or occasion for more than the one small cigar.

Personally, though there will always be exceptions, I like smoking two smaller cigars as opposed to one large one. Various flavors and such giving the evening some gustatory and olfactory interest is desirable to me. And if that first one was SO good that you'd like another, or want a double corona, then simply make certain to choose something you have two or more of in your humidor or purchase two when you go to the tobacconist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran