Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you stay inspired during uninspiring times?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
My inspiration comes from my good friends and loving family. Nothing else is necessary. The "times" we live in aren't mine. I live in a different place and time with people I love.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I consider myself extremely fortunate, to say the least. I worked for thirty years in a county government job before I retired in 2012. Sparing the gory details, suffice it to say that between my wife's and my income, we are comfortable, and we anticipate to remain so when both of us fully retire in a few years. And, I have a modest law practice that provides me the opportunity to help others and pay for a nice dinner out now and then.

None of this came about easily: we worked long and hard for what we have. Still, I am painfully aware that others who have worked hard and planned well have ended up with damn little to show for it. I'm not a religious individual in any sense, but I am grateful to any divine entity that has shown me more generosity than I deserve by any objective measure.

That all said: I recognize a mandate to see that others in the future are accorded the same or similar opportunities that I enjoyed along the way. I try to encourage younger people not to give up on their educations and careers, to keep struggling for a better life, and to not be distracted by destructive diversions that will come back to bite their arses down the road. I guess that's what keeps me going: a desire to give back to the younger people in a manner that might enable them to attain the same fulfillments I have witnessed.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I consider myself extremely fortunate, to say the least. I worked for thirty years in a county government job before I retired in 2012. Sparing the gory details, suffice it to say that between my wife's and my income, we are comfortable, and we anticipate to remain so when both of us fully retire in a few years. And, I have a modest law practice that provides me the opportunity to help others and pay for a nice dinner out now and then.

None of this came about easily: we worked long and hard for what we have. Still, I am painfully aware that others who have worked hard and planned well have ended up with damn little to show for it. I'm not a religious individual in any sense, but I am grateful to any divine entity that has shown me more generosity than I deserve by any objective measure.

That all said: I recognize a mandate to see that others in the future are accorded the same or similar opportunities that I enjoyed along the way. I try to encourage younger people not to give up on their educations and careers, to keep struggling for a better life, and to not be distracted by destructive diversions that will come back to bite their arses down the road. I guess that's what keeps me going: a desire to give back to the younger people in a manner that might enable them to attain the same fulfillments I have witnessed.

Well said.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Getting back to the spirit of this sight, I have found myself totally uninspired towards vintage items right now! Between the Victorian house, and 12 vintage motorcycles, I am hitting the wall! I have no choice but to finish the house, but, it is more drudgery right now.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think it is really hard when you're having health problems to see the silver lining. I've had cancer and I have a life long disability because of my treatment that affects my everyday life. As I've become accustomed to "my new normal" it no longer seems so bad. Does it bother me occasionally? Yes. Some days I get really angry. But it's who I am now. I am very lucky to have some people in my life who are supportive of the time and money caring for myself now takes and the fact that I now have physical limitations.

I think the one thing is to root out and get rid of all the negative things in your life that are possible. If someone is dragging you down (by which I mean they are unsupportive, not that they are in crisis or need help or any sort of thing) give them a limited amount of time to change after you approach them and if they refuse to change, get rid of them if at all possible. Things that make you feel bad shouldn't hang around your life either- the picture that was a gift that came with strings, the project you failed to complete, the job rejection letters should be chucked out.

If you need help, particularly if you are trying to find a new normal and you are open to it and can afford it, I recommend therapy. Therapists are like any other profession- there are good ones and bad ones AND you have to find the right fit (personality and treatment wise). I've had two good therapists and two bad ones. The worst came highly recommended and specialized in treating cancer patients. When I went in seeking help from her because I was scared I would die before my infant child had a single memory of me (she's 2 now, so no worries there) this therapist had the balls to tell me, "Oh, you're thinking about missing all the good events in your child's life, not when she's 16 and gets pregnant and is trying drugs." If she had listened to me, she would realize I wasn't worried about myself, but my child. And creating more worries about not being there for my child was feeding into my insecurities and making me worse. I dumped her like a hot potato. So don't give up because the first one you encounter isn't any good, no matter what you've heard about them. Give them a little time, if you don't click, move on.

I think it is really important that everyone take a little time each day for themselves. One of the things I learned in my Yoga for Cancer Survivors class is to think of one thing I am thankful for everyday. Before I go to sleep each night, I lie in bed for a few seconds and do a little deep breathing. Then I think of one thing I was thankful for that day. It has to be a completely thankful moment- not- "well, today sucked but at least I'm not dead." It has to be something that made me happy- seeing my daughter eat strawberries, finding a five dollar bill in the wash, getting something done, hearing from a friend, writing out a thank you note, etc.

One of the exercises I did when I went through cancer treatment is that everyday I posted a picture of something that made me happy that day on social media as part of the 100HappyDays Challenge. (You don't need social media to do this, it was helpful for me to draw on my friends in crisis.) There are a lot of studies that show that people who reflect on daily happiness ARE happier. Throughout the day, I'd take pictures of what made me happy and chose one to post.

Some days, I had trouble finding a picture if I was really depressed, as in, didn't get off the couch depressed. (To be completely honest, I never thought I'd live this long, so I was really depressed. I have lived way past my expected life span that I thought I would have two years ago.) But then I began to realize something. Almost everyday I was having to choose between five or six- some days up to ten- pictures to post. I had been happy 10 times in a day that in my head I thought had been mediocre or rotten. It couldn't have been that rotten if I'd been happy TEN times, now was it?

It is hard to be happy all the time. But heaven help me if I'm going to act like I'm dead while I'm still alive. Somebody told me that in my pit of despair. It didn't help at the time but every day since it makes more sense.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points