Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a girl keep warm?

16_sparrows

Vendor
Winter Wear?

Quite new here and am a little confused about winter clothing. Most of the vintage clothes I own are dresses or skirts, and most of the clothes I see in vintage mags are of the same. So what did ladies do in the winter? Thick wool socks and just tough it out?

I live in Chicago so my main concern is inches of snow. What kind of shoes did their wear for that and how would they keep their socks from getting wet?

I tried looking on vintage info sites, but if they do reference winter, they only speak of coats. I'm more worried about my lower half.

magneto

Practically Family
Hi 16_sparrows!
16_sparrows said:
Quite new here and am a little confused about winter clothing. ...
I live in Chicago so my main concern is inches of snow. What kind of shoes did their wear for that and how would they keep their socks from getting wet?

Galoshes, "overshoes", unglamorous as that may sound... woollen stockings instead of cotton/silk/nylon...and a proper full-length coat...Boots were strictly stormy-weather street wear (i.e. not worn as fashion attire indoors) until the 1960s.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
Yes, Galoshes is such a dowdy word! But they were often dolled-up with fur around the tops. I was looking through a 1937 catalogue today and saw a white pair. All I've ever found have been the much more practical black! Like these:

fuzzyboots1.jpg

They just slip over the shoes, and are even flannel-lined for extra toasty-ness.

Lizzie

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Don't forget your sweaters, caps, and scarves! Knitting books often had instructions for these items. And suits are always good for winter with a nice thick overcoat. There was also a reason the gals loved fur! Faux fur can be used today for the same effect. Often in the 30's the coats could be worn either open with big revers, or closed, which created a sort of stand up collar. These were often lined in fur. Here's an example of one I made:
30scoat1.gif
30scoat3.gif

You would be surprised at how warm you can keep simply by keeping your neck and hands warm! Turtlenecks, scarves, high collars, knitted or leather mittens or gloves- and don't forget that under the skirts they wore knitted wollen underwear and flannel petticoats.

16_sparrows

Vendor
I totally forgot about furs! How did I do that?
My mother gave me a fur of hers years ago, but it is a short one that ends at the waist. Not exactly period, nor will it help keep my legs warm. I have some nice vintage coats, but their length is knee to mid-calf. I would love to get an ankle length.

Lauren Henline - great coat! I've been sewing for a while, but I've never done clothes. I do want to start getting into vintage patterns, but the idea of making something that will actually have to fit scares me. My creations always shrink or end up being way larger than they should be.

I've been slowly accumilating wool and other warm socks. A great place I have found is www.sockdreams.com. They also have great cuban footed hose. I'm a little addicted to the shop actually.

Thanks for all the great advice so far. Looks like winter and I will be friends after all.

birdiepie

New in Town
I live in NYC and end up spending a good deal of time outdoors during the winter on a daily basis. I can definitely appreciate woolen and flannel under garments so that I don't have to compromise wearing skirts and the like.

I stock up on Levante's wool stockings during the fall, woods-online.co.uk sells them, though I think stockingshq.com sells them slightly cheaper nowadays. They're lovely to wear and quite warm.

Falke also makes some amazing merino wool tights, too bad they don't make them as stockings! A company called Medima makes angora underwear. They can be a little hard to find in the US, but they do exist here.

Anyone have any resources for flannel petticoats?

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Staying warm and vintage in winter

Hello ladies,

I am currently in a lace skirt and sweater, very lady like though not expressly vintage, my only problem....... it's -16 celcius and only getting colder, it's supposed to be a high on -25C by tomorrow.:eek:
Needless to say I'm a litlle chilledlol

Do you lovely ladies have any suggestions for staying warm and pretty while winter burries me alive?
No suggestions of moving to Cuba,:D I plan on fleeing winter as soon as I graduate my program:D

Thanks a bunch
CD

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eek! That's cold. When it's that cold usually I go for tailored trousers in warm fabrics, like lined wool herringbone or something, with boots, and definitely a layer or two under the sweater.

With skirts, try a full length winter coat and maybe some wool tights!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I second the tights,definitely a must with skirts.I think an equestrian style flat boot is classic when worn with a wool pencil skirt and a nice camel hair long coat is warm.Don't forget the matching hat,scarf,and gloves.Berets,cloches,and such still have vintage appeal.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
THats why Im looking into making my own socks/tights. They just looks so cool with pencil skirts. :)

Also you cant go wrong with knit hats. They just cry vintage and warm.

LD

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Argh I was worried you'd say tights:(
They've become popular so I'm automatically against them:) I love seamed stockings though.
The trousers sound good, I need to go out and buy some pants anyway.
What's a good vintage style, for cut and fabric.... etc?

The hat sounds very good, my ears've become very sensitive to the cold.

Thanks ladies, I'll give those a try.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well you don't have to wear the TRENDY ones, like...leggings! (shudder).

Also you might try layering your stockings - maybe a sheer stocking under a fishnet.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
CanadaDoll said:
What's a good vintage style, for cut and fabric.... etc?

A basic plaid wool, or a real great herringbone wool. Also, as with all winter time, a good houndstooth wool is classic. But Id stay away from the HUGE black/white houndstooth print, as those are VERY popular as of late.

LD

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Well you don't have to wear the TRENDY ones, like...leggings! (shudder).

I know (sigh) but it's so flippin hard to find anything else here, Calgary is redicoulously fashion concious and I don't always have the time to look for what I want anymore (stupid examslol)

I would sooner swim nude in the river than wear leggings though:eek: they're awful, unless you're a ballet dancer and they're used for warming up, not for fashion.lol

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
A basic plaid wool, or a real great herringbone wool. Also, as with all winter time, a good houndstooth wool is classic. But Id stay away from the HUGE black/white houndstooth print, as those are VERY popular as of late.

LD
Hmmm... the herringbone sounds nice, what's a typical 40's style for tailoring?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, cant go wrong with a pencil or tube skirt. Also a fitted (not over fitted) jacket that fits at the waist, and is a bit puffy at the shoulders. Thats a good modern definition for a vintagy 40s style.

LD

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Are you not from Canada? The Montana branch of my family wears long underwear during winter.

For skirts you can get knee length ones. Tights are okay if it isn't too cold, but you can put silk liners under those too. The long coat is a good idea too.

Boots help too, but they aren't too vintage looking.

katiepickle

New in Town
Don't knock the leggings!

While they may not be the best of fashion, leggings underneath pants or a long skirt (long enough to cover them completely) can add some warmth. I have family in Wisconsin and when I visit them in the winter I wear leggings under my pants...although mine are from a sporting goods store and I think they may be for skiing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui