Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How good are Magnoli's leather jackets?

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have one and can say something about quality, craftmanship, etc.
The prices are nearly the same as a jacket made from Aero and other competitors, so I am just wondering if they are comparable.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If they are anything like his other clothes, they are top notch. However, the measurements that you provide are the key to getting his garments to be top notch. It took three tries to get a proper fitting pair of pants from him, but it was all my fault for giving bad measurements. For example, the very first pair of pants that I bought from him were WAY too loose because I wear my trousers below my natural waist. The moral to that story is the more detail you can give him, the better the end result will be. If you have one arm or leg longer than another, give him both measurements. If you are going to order a shirt from him & you wear a watch on your wrist, tell him you want that wrist to be 1/2 an inch looser. Finally, it is better to error on the side of too loose than too tight. You can have garments brought in, but it is harder for them to be let out.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Magnoli's stuff is said to be pretty good but it's all made outsourced in India by companies that make high end mall jackets. Aero is a whole different ballgame.

91_Mustang

New in Town
Magnoli is good quality. I ordered one of his jackets last year. The weight of the leather was lighter than I expected but still a nice weight. I'd say it was more suited for a spring and fall jacket than for a cold winter coat. However with Magnoli you can specify a custom liner for cooler weather if you need to. I agree with what others have said in that the key to a good Magnoli jacket lies in the accuracy of the measures you provide him. Magnoli will do his part right but it's also up you to do yours. If there's an error on your part your stuck with it. I'd recommend going with Magnoli if you're confident in your measures and you need custom features or sizes.

From what I can tell the Aero jackets are a heavier grade but they also appear to cost a good bit more than what Magnoli offers. Magnoli's prices also include shipping which is part of the reason they may appear high at first glance.

Don't have any experience with Magnoli.
I have purchased from Aero, and their products are very high quality in both workmanship and material.
Their FQHH is fantastic.

I currently have a "Dr. Who" jacket (Kreigsmarine U-boat 3/4 length leather jacket) on order from "Bad Wolf";
http://www.thebadwolf.com/
I was debating between Magnoli and Bad Wolf when I ordered it.
I decided to go with Bad Wolf despite the higher cost because I liked the design/quality of coat compared to what I've seen of other manufacturers, the quality of leather they use.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not seeing anyone post pictures of jackets.
I'd like to see what the leather he uses looks like
after a few years. There's certainly no shortage of
photos on this site of Aero jackets and the leather
looks good for a very long time. This is a concern for
the type of leather used in mall jackets and inexpensive
jackets made in India.

wanz

One of the Regulars
I own both a Magnoli jacket and an Aero Highwayman. Magnoli's quality is good. The materials and workmanship are what you would expect for the price range.

However, with all due respect Magnoli, there is no comparing it with the Aero jacket. I own several other Belstaff and Barbour jackets. The quality of the Aero wins over all of them easily. The Aero is truly something special; well worth the wait and money.

Unfortunately, I've owned the Magnoli for under a year so I really cannot provide any insight into how it will wear.

cheers
nick

91_Mustang

New in Town
My Magnoli jacket is just under a year old. So far it's held up fine. No issues with the quality of construction or durability of the jacket. Mine is goatskin and still looks brand new. The lining material still appears to be in new condition as well. Unlike Aero Leather, Magnoli specializes in making replica movie items and he is highly regarded in the replica prop community for the level of detail his company produces. If it's a particular film jacket you're after then Magnoli should be a top of your list to consider. I think his product is superior to your typical mall quality jacket in that each piece is it's own unique piece of art made to your custom specifications. They aren't mass produced on an assembly line in generic sizes by any means. Regardless of where his tailor is actually located he does a pretty good job in my opinion and the materials used are good quality.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
thanks a lot for the infos.

91_Mustang said:
From what I can tell the Aero jackets are a heavier grade but they also appear to cost a good bit more than what Magnoli offers. Magnoli's prices also include shipping which is part of the reason they may appear high at first glance.

But since an A2 costs from Magnoli around $600-650 it is not really that much cheaper than Aero's A2 for £400, even so the shipping from GB should not make that much more if you are correct and the quality is somewhat better.

Then if you live in the EU and have to pay more than 20 % customs and tax for getting things from outside EU, that would also add something to Magnoli's prices. [huh] But there is still the thing with "custom made" and tailored according to the wishes of the customer, which may be the crucial factor for Magnoli.

Unlucky Berman said:
t.... But there is still the thing with "custom made" and tailored according to the wishes of the customer, which may be the crucial factor for Magnoli.

Aero's are custom fitted to the buyers specs, and if you peruse the Aero threads here, you will see they allow different alterations to their basic designs.
They ask you for your measurements (not just your coat size) when you order a jacket from them, and will contact you if after receiving them they don't seem right.
If the jacket doesn't fit the way you want it to, they will take it back and make adjustments.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
My Magnoli jacket fits me well, and has also held up well. In addition there was about 2 weeks between when I sent my order and measurements and received the jacket. Maybe that was exceptionally fast, but it impressed me.

He'll also make up a custom jacket. I've been thinking of reproducing the leather jacket that Depp wore when he broke out of prison in Public Enemies. Magnoli said he could do that for me. I think that's his major differentiator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21