Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How heavy is your jacket?

barnabus

One Too Many
Not leather thickness.

Not gauge of hide.

Not suppleness or grain.

Literally how much it weighs.

Kilos or ounces. You decide.

How heavy is your jacket?

My "new" TT Leathers feels as light as a feather when it's on, and it weighs 1660g.

That's 3.66lbs, or 58oz

So it actually is as light as a feather.

Over to you.

e: because it appears I can't actually read scales.

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Vanson America 6,5lbs, Vanson CHP2 7lbs, Langlitz Cascade 5 lbs, Langlitz Columbia 6,5 lbs, so all pretty much the weight you'd expect from a 1,2-1,4mm hide. Stand-outs are my Aero HWM at more than 9 lbs (4,2kg) and the heavyweight champion is the Aero Veste de Rallye at proud 11 lbs, which can partly be attributed to the double lining, I guess, leather is the same 1,6-1,8mm as the HWM.

Heaviest I got is the Natal cross zip which clocks at around 8 lbs or 3.5 - 4 kg, followed by Hein Gericke that's about the same weight but it's got foam armor inserts which, I suppose, add a lbs or so. Both are size 42. I've had an Aero Leathers alpaca lined coat that was considerably heavier but... That was a coat.

First Natal Leathers jacket that I had was possibly close to 10 lbs. It was a cafe racer, size 44. Heaviest jacket I ever had. All the others are around 6 lbs.

Heaviest denim jacket in my collection is the Iron Heart sherpa lined Type-3. The jacket is 2.3 kg or 5 lbs which, for a denim jacket, is insane, I'd say.

@jacketjunkie , man, I REALLY want to see that HWM.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I'm not going to go through my closets and weigh everything, but going from memory, my favorite jackets to wear tend to be around 5-6lbs. My heaviest are 8-8.25 lbs. I have a few that are lighter, but I just like em heavy.

seres

A-List Customer
Interesting thread... My heaviest is a Lost Worlds Suburban (no surprise) which tips the scales at 3.24 kg (7.13 pounds). Despite the weight, it IS comfortable to wear. But any heavier would be a struggle to wear all day.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I worked out years ago that if my jacket weighs over 4 pounds it only gets worn a few days a year. I found this out the hard way over 30 years by owning and trying to wear a range of 3oz hide jackets. The ones I enjoy wearing are around 3.5 pounds and generally goat or 2.5oz cowhide. This is partly personal preference - I dislike being encumbered by clothing and partly our warmer weather. It's 46 degrees this morning (winter) and a tweed jacket is fine.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
A-2 Eastman Star Sportswear about 1600-1700 g (HH)
A-2 AVI Bronco about 1200-1300 g (goatskin)
A-2 W&G about 1400 g (HH)
G-1 LW Foster Sportswear (1956) about 1300 -1400 g (goatskin)

All jackets in size 40

No longer mine bout a full12lbs of heavy steer
IMG_7651.JPG

Peacoat

Bartender
I grabbed some of the more well known jackets and weighed them:

Thunder Bay 8.5 lbs. probably because of the heavy shearling lining (and perhaps the new heavy duty zipper!).

Aero Highwayman in steer. 7.5 lbs

Johnson Leather M200 and Vanson Enfield 7 lbs.

Sheene 6 lbs.

GoodWear A-2 and Eastman Ostmann Luftwaffe 5 los.

Schott Cafe Racer 4.5 lbs.

All sizes are 42 through 46 but fit about the same. I have 7 more, but these are the best known of the lot.

Last edited:

dan_t

Practically Family
Ok, I’ll play....
I’ve got 2 Aero heavy Steer jackets.
Sheene = 2.6 kg / 5.7 lbs
Highwayman = 3kg / 6.6 lbs
That’s jumping on the bathroom scales with & without the jacket, so I’m not exactly sure how accurate it really is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot