How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Here in Vienna, my firm has directed all management staff to be ready to work from home (meaning have your laptops, passwords, etc, ready to access from home). Schools are on a hair-trigger for distance teaching (on-line). Of course, we share a border with hot spot Northern Italy. So far, however, all is quiet. What is your situation? In a broader context, we are all watching global markets plummet and travel trying to cope. What to make of it all? What is your perspective?

2. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

Living a normal life. More people die of the flu every year.

Markets are taking the opportunity to correct themselves and even as they are in the negative, if you are an investor, you still making money by buying low.

I don't listen to the media! Stay away from Facebook and Twitter, you'll live longer, lol....

3. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Yep, not listen to media! :)

But when I ride by train, I basically always stay in the entrance, because I don't want to be coughed on by these winter-sickly persons. :D And I don't want to listen to headset-phone people.

Héctor Fernández likes this.
  4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I'm ignoring it -- I have a very strong immune system thanks to growing up with an open sewer running thru my neighborhood. I very rarely get sick.

But if people start panicking thanks to all the hype on the internet, the theatre business could take a very painful hit. In 1918, all theatres and "places of amusement" were shut down by law due to the Spanish Flu. If that happens here, I'm one month away from complete poverty -- there is no "working from home" in my line of work.

5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have stopped eating Chinese food and drinking Corona beer.....just to be on the safe side.

Mark, GoetzManor, docneg and 12 others like this.
  6. I've been begging to work from home for years (I do two days a week). My wife see's our 401K account taking a hit and my hat buying budget is cut completely off (... well, maybe).

7. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

Stopped!!! I've just started drinking LOTS of Corona. It will either help fend off the virus or put me in a state that I just won't care!

docneg, SteveFord, belfastboy and 2 others like this.
  8. Inkstainedwretch

Inkstainedwretch One Too Many

I live in a tiny town in remote rural New Mexico, but all it takes is one person driving 60 miles to pick up someone at the airport and it's here. Like Lizzie I have a strong immune system (pioneer Texas stock) but my wife is immunocompromised with Lupus, so I avoid public door handles as much as possible. As a writer I've always worked from home so that's not a problem. Remember, vodka is your friend.

belfastboy likes this.
  9. Héctor Fernández

Common sense folks.

10. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

I don't even think about it much, except when I look on Facebook, and I have long since learned to take F.B. with the better part of a well-stocked spice rack. I've never been much for getting worked up over health scares or even sharing utensils. I work in food service, so I'm already washing my hands about 47 times a day. We're far enough out of the way of civilization that most of these things don't get within more than hollering distance anyway.

Investors are a superstitious and cowardly lot, any uncertainy in the market blossoms into a full-blown chicken riot of panic.

Mark likes this.
  11. Héctor Fernández

Interesting, I never knew investors were superstitious and a cowardly bunch. As an investor for the last 30 plus years, I will take your childish comments with the same spice rack you enjoy using so much.

12. redlinerobert

redlinerobert One of the Regulars

Bah. The mortality rate is less than 2% which puts it on par with the regular flu. I live just south of Santa Clara county where a case was just confirmed in a community spread.

The media is blowing this way out of proportion. Obviously if you are over 65 and have preexisting conditions it could take you out, but for the majority it'll just make you sick. They are also probably under reporting the amount of people that actually have it, so that ~2% figure could actually be less.

@ianbremmer 12h

Coronavirus 2019-present:
    83K+ confirmed cases so far
    2% mortality rate

Ebola 2014-16:
    28.6K cases
    40% fatality rate

SARS 2002-03:
    8K cases
    10% mortality rate

MERS 2012-present:
    2.5K cases
    34% mortality rate

Steve S. likes this.
  13. Trenchfriend

Since the pig flu in Germany, 2009, media can kiss my booty! :cool:

14. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

15. Trenchfriend

But the door-handles
    Door handles, always good point!
    When I use them by hand, I always do it with the outside of my fingers while making a half fist.

Always remembering this greasy yumminess: :D
    [​IMG]

16. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

Apparently, 81% of folk just have minor flu - like symptoms.

Thousands of, mostly elderly, people die each year here due to 'winter flu'. So as a RN I'm not worried, as yet, about Coronavirus. I just take normal precautions like washing your hands properly after being out in public and using a hand gel in between hand washes. However, the town I live in is a big tourist destination so it isn't impossible that somebody will bring Coronavirus up here eventually, or a local taking it back from their vacation.

As for working from home, spare a thought for all the nurses, doctors and heath care workers, not to mention all the other folk working in the public domain. You office people can hide, we won't!

1967Cougar390 and Trenchfriend like this.
  17. Trenchfriend

An interesting fact about classic flu in Germany:

Some years ago, there was still the old yearly media hype about flu in wintertime. But the last three or four years, the hype didn't happen. And I can tell you why.

Because of internet, we all know today, that this hype was always media bullshit! You could have asked, who you want. Nobody knew, where this yearly supposedly flu epidemic is happening, because it didn't exist.

Germany got over 80 million people, and when some hundred people got the flu, come on!

An acquaintance of mine got a bad flu, some years ago, on age 60+!
    The simple reason:
    He was in cinema with his wife and on the other seat next to him sat a woman, having tissue and blowing her nose, permanently. He said: "THIS woman sniffled me!"

And he got sick, promptly.

18. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

"And I shall send forth a plague across the world to kill the whores of mammon." - Daddy pangolin.

19. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'm in a similar position in that my partner is imuno-supressed owing to medication she is on; while I'd probably survive it, chances are high that it would kill her.

Our partner university on the programme I teach on in Beijing has delayed the start of term; when students do arrive back, they will be strictly segregated in accomodation blocks based on the part of China they hail from. All of our teaching trips have been cancelled until the back end of April cand the thinking is we'll be donig everything at a distance until at least September. It's also a disticnt possibility that a conference I am due to speak at in Holland next month will have to be cancelled.

I'm pleased to see China working hard to try and stop the spread; unfortunately, it if hits hard here in the UK, I fear most people will be too selfish to self-isolate and will only spread it quickly. WE've sadly already seen it reach our shores partly with people who had no way of knowing htey had it at the time, but also from selfish people who knew they'd been exposed while living abroad and still insisted that they had to return to the UK and bring it here with them.

For now it's still far from the pandemic it could be, and pancing won't help. On the other hand, I am also pleased to see plans being made for all eventualities - much better to have a plan and not need it than starting from scratch in the middle of a mass panic should an outbreak begin to spread.

PrettySquareGal likes this.
  20. steve u

steve u One of the Regulars

My Wife and Kids have Tickets to Japan this summer(2 and 1/2 months) while the Olympics are on.
    We will see..
    steve

Trenchfriend likes this.