How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

I agree, I have been to China many times, a cute "accessory" indeed.

Edward likes this.
  2. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

Maybe so, but I watched a video on the three Australian women fighting over 24 roll packs. They had 4 - 5 packs in their trolley and weren't giving up even one pack to the other woman. 24 rolls of toilet paper is more than I buy in a year, let alone for a two week quarantine period!

3. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

Watching the news one would think we are at Defcon 1. This mass hysteria has been caused by the media and career politicians.

Let's not forget, the World Health Organization who sat on this for 5 months because they were afraid of been called "racists".

Plenty of blame to go around.

Rmccamey, seres and Zombie_61 like this.
  4. Edward

Edward Bartender

Yes, that sort of thing is just selfish madness. These sorts of circumstances have a way of drawing that out of people.

HanauMan likes this.
  5. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

While it's likely a good thing we're starting to see mass gatherings of folks be cancelled, I still don't feel like I have a handle on why this is so much different than other strains of flu and viruses that blanket the globe on a regular basis. I have read conflicting information from sources that should be informative and accurate, and I really don't know what to think.

I think the personal panic is overblown (the TP, bottled water crowd), I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing we're cancelling sporting events, parades, schools, and other things. From what I do understand, it spreads fast and there could be a certain degree of difficulty in having the facilities and logistics to adequately respond to the spike. By keeping our distance and practicing good hygiene, we flatten the bell curve so that the spread of the virus spreads out over time, enabling proper treatment, which should be easier on an advanced health care system like we do have.

Yes, it's been overhyped by the press. One thing to understand is that, by and larger, the press as it stands to day is largely ignorant of much of what they report on. So any report needs to be taken with the same skepticism we reserve for other things.

Additionally, I don't think the Southwest in the US s going to experience it in the same way the Northern states will. Warmer climate, dryer air and other factors should mitigate any effects of the spread. I do hope that warmer weather will mitigate it here in the north.

I'm supposed to go to a UFC event in Columbus at the end of the month, but I've pretty much written that off at this point.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  6. Edward

Edward Bartender

Interestingly, the reaction does appear to vary. Whiled certain corners of our media are hyping it out of proportion, the only impact I see on shelves here in London is the gap where the hand gel and other cleaning products used to be. Pasta is down. Most things are pretty normal, really. Generally folks are preparing for a couple of weeks of shut-down, but otherwise not any sense of panic. Reminds me of when the tube got bombed and London treated it as an inconvenience.

Rmccamey likes this.
  7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

It doesn't take much to strip away the thin veneer of what we claim to be "civilization."

What's happening now is not unlike the sugar hoarding that happened across the US in the spring of 1942. It took Federally-imposed rationing to put a stop to that. Just saying.

Edward likes this.
  8. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

Right, but I was thinking more about little kids. If they aren't in school, do they go to day care (as bad as school, if not worse)? Do they stay with retired relatives in the age group that's most susceptible to coronavirus? Does mom quit working to stay home with them? Do they stay home by themselves?

Edward likes this.
  9. Edward

Edward Bartender

Certainly big issues. Undoubtedly there will be lotsof parents working in the gig economy who can't afford to stay home with sick kid, so whatdo they do? Tempting to disguise symtpoms and send them in anyhow... I have a feeling we're going to have a real clash between the Self Interest of the Individual (whether acting selfishly or out of desperation) and the Interests of The Community in some shape or form before this is all out.

vitanola likes this.
  10. I have chemo treatments every two weeks. Docs have made sure that I have my flu, pneumonia, and shingles shot each year to guard against infection. However, at this time there is no Coronavirus serum for anyone in whatever weakened condition may be present. That is quite concerning for many, of any age group, who may not be 100% healthy in the short or long term. That makes me uneasy.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    vitanola and Edward like this.
  11. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal My Mail is Forwarded Here

My husband is over 60 so he's also more at risk. It makes me uneasy that so many people are dismissive of the risks to those with compromised immune systems and 60+ because it doesn't affect them directly. I hope you are able to lay low and stay home until your next treatment.

vitanola, Edward, jonesy86 and 2 others like this.
  12. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I crossed the border into Blaine WA this morning to pick up, (what else but a hat!) . I was concerned about the border scrutiny heading south but the Border Services guy pretty much waved me through. Coming back the Canadian Border guard a bit more thorough. First asking how long I had been in the US, value of goods to declare etc....she then looked me very directly in the eyes and asked if I was feeling OK. Asking about aches, pains, shortness of breath and then asked about any recent overseas travel in particular Italy and Iran. Hearing the right answers she waved me through. The border traffic did seem much lighter than normal as well.

13. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Our town is now completely sold out of toilet paper, and word at the store I frequent most is that the regional warehouse is also depleted. People today were taking multiple copies of our local free weekly newspaper and the looks on their faces told you exactly why.

If this isn't insanity, it'll do till insanity gets here. What ever became of "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself?"

vitanola and Edward Reed like this.
  14. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

We're well stocked at the drug store and dollar store in my neighborhood for everything but hand sanitizer. There's still hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, food and everything but laundry soap that was on sale. A post on Nextdoor about cases in Indiana has gotten all of two thanks and a laugh. In the higher end suburb where I work, though, I've heard stores are out of toilet paper and even frozen foods.

vitanola and Edward Reed like this.
  15. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I wish you the best my friend. As you are, try to follow the experts' advice (not the advice of idiots like me). We have several parents in different, but big picture, similar situations and are doing what we can for them and praying.

vitanola and HoosierDaddy like this.
  16. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

[​IMG]

Rmccamey, Frunobulax and BobHufford like this.
  17. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Actually, I can't report any such moronity from my german smalltown, here. All daily stuff still available.

And we got an important federal-road, running directly through our smalltown!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundesstraße_85

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    vitanola and LizzieMaine like this.
  18. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Worth it's weight in gold down under.[​IMG]

Trenchfriend likes this.
  19. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal My Mail is Forwarded Here

It's now officially here in Maine. :eek::(

Rmccamey likes this.
  20. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

It’s official: my place of work will be “working from home” for the next three weeks.