How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Edward

Edward Bartender

Unfortunately in this instance all to many of them will get bitten without suffering any ill-effects - but they'll pass them on to the rest of us who may not be so fortunate.

2. Old Mariner

Old Mariner Familiar Face

Went to the bank today. Lobby is still closed so walk through the drive through to do business (deposit).

Not many people out. Stopped at the thrift store and got a shirt (wore mask inside of course).

Other than that, in my own life, nothing has really changed. Not too different from a few months ago. The only exception was that the non-essential stores were closed...so no thrift stops then.

My main concern is down in Philly. I had contacted the clinic about my last surgery and they *just* started to begin with doing procedures this month. Now with what looks to be a possible increase down there again...I am wondering. A part of me is inclined to believe my surgery won't be done until next year (which I am ok with an understand).

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

WE're in a similar position; my other half had a very serious attack of her psoirosis a couple of years ago that stopped her being able to work. It also disrupted the tendons in her hand with the swelling, so she's only had full use of one hand for a few years now, and she was supposed to be having that surgically corrected in February, then it wasmove to march by the surgeon... and, of course, cancelled by the Covid-19 situation. It's a pain, but like you she accepts that the situation is beyond our control and that it's safer to wait for now. Still frustrating as it feels like so much of our life is on hold again - we're having to even rethink our wedding plans as the chanceso f us being able to fly over the next year or two (plus travel insurance) is likely to be problematic. But.... c'est la vie.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I live in a metro area of
    Yes, that is the big unanswered question...even when we can fly again will our travel insurance cover the virus and if not are we willing to roll the dice and travel anyway?

5. Edward

Edward Bartender

At the minute it looks like our travel insurance to fly long haul absent an effective immunisation jab is likely to be sufficiently expensive that it will make the decision for us.

6. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Our retirement benefit package includes travel insurance. It is a very generous plan but we have not bothered to check on corona coverage. I assume not but will leave it until we decide to actually go somewhere before I check. Perhaps by then there will be a vax for it....I just don't plan to be amongst the first in line to get one.

Edward likes this.
  7. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

My best friend since grade school is tentatively scheduled for knee replacement surgery some time in the next few months, and he doesn't yet know how or if any the Coronavirus precautions are going to affect that. It's another peripheral complication for an already problematic situation as far as scheduling is concerned.

So far we've been very lucky; my wife and I, that is. The only "problems" have been having to wait longer in lines at the stores and pharmacy, and wearing the face masks. If that's the worst of it for us, I'm fine with it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  8. Old Mariner

Hope it all goes well.:)

At this point, I have to contend with hearing gripes about wearing masks from the select few people in my immediate "sphere".

At this point, with the way things are going, I will have a whole symphony of the "tiniest violins" playing.o_O

I just get so tired of hearing complaints and whining from people about having to wear a mask for a bit, despite them having bigger issues more worthy of their complaints. They can have my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome if they really would like something to gripe about, but even then with that, one gets their priorities straight about what's worth having a gripe over and what isn't.

*sighs* /:-/

9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

In our most populated province, Ontario, there was a strong push to have a province wide mandatory mask wearing edict. The provincial Premier wisely tossed it back to the cities to decide. It is isn't settled yet but the consensus seems to be....fine but who the hell is going to enforce this law? If I were the police I would punt on this one....hell they are in enough trouble already without adding to their woes. So for now I suspect it will remain suggested but voluntary.

10. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

My kids melted down today. I was perhaps a bit to laisez faire about it all. “This too shall pass. One day it will be a story that you love to tell.” Not sure that my early 20s kids appreciated my take on things.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Me too. He and I have been best friends since grade school and we'll both be 59 years old by the end of this year, so we've known each other for quite a while.

I'd rather not have to wear a mask myself, but everyone I know has problems they have to deal with so I joke about it rather than complain about it. If that was my biggest problem in life I'd consider myself a lucky man.

12. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

For all the arguments back and forth as to the mask's effectiveness....I choose not to engage. If the stores prefer that I wear a mask for the protection of their staff then who am I to object. My thought it yes it is annoying but it takes up, at most, 30 minutes of each week while I grocery shop and 5 mins more when I pick up my weekly sushi fix. My self talk...STFU...and put on the mask.

Edward, Old Mariner and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I've used the "hey, you're living thru history" line a few times myself.

Edward, Touchofevil and Zombie_61 like this.
  14. Gets me how there are those who are so self centered that they will not wear a mask no matter what
    'they' say. Too inconvenient to be taken seriously and obvious it's all a 'control' conspiracy anyhow. Let me choose even if I might spread this sickness because I just don't believe it. Shame

15. Old Mariner

I can understand the differences with regards to pop. density. Where I live, when I went to the bank (walked, as I live in town), I came across no one that I would possibly be near, until right on "main street". There, I encountered 2 people with a dog, crossed the street, to where my bank is, 1 lady, finished bank business. Went across the street, and encountered the dog folks, and 1 other woman. So, it's not like we're packed in like sardines here, which is why I find the noise from the peanut gallery a bit ludicrous. You put on the mask for a few min. in the store (of course a bit longer if one is getting groceries for the month, for example), check out, get outside and remove it. I mean...cripes.o_O

People around here have been through worse with winter storms and floods, but yet gripe about wearing a mask for a few min.?

o_O

16. Old Mariner

I tend to joke too. I was looking at getting a Grumpy Cat mask, so as to be more comfortable with my beard (it's like a "tube mask" pulls up from around the neck over the face) - but now I have been coming across information that the simple bandana cloth type masks might not be as effective....so, I guess I will just wear my plain ones.

Edward and Zombie_61 like this.
  17. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My wife is retired and likes to sew....I like to say she is 'crafty' but she doesn't like the inference......so I have multiple masks, multiple designs....ones for casual wear, a black one for more formal occasions, a striped one with vertical stripes to make me look thinner, and a fancy one for when I feel particularly devil may care. I never thought I would be adding masks to my wardrobe...whodathunk!

Edward, Zombie_61 and Old Mariner like this.
  18. Old Mariner

I have been thinking about going the same route. Somehow incorporating it into my wardrobe. I like vintage reproduction patterns, and vintage style patterns, so it would be an easy way for me to incorporate wearing a mask that would at least look more decent than the disposable ones I have. Not the direction I would have expected my creativity to go in, but I don't mind the challenge. :)

Zombie_61 likes this.
  19. EngProf

EngProf A-List Customer

I had a conversation with one of my neighbors about this just today. He was in the car sitting on the side away from the curb and I was on the sidewalk, so we weren't wearing masks, but we both agreed that everyone should if they were going to be near other people.
    We were also talking about mask fashion and I mentioned that I had a big cowboy hat and thought about wearing that with the bandana-style mask like a stagecoach robber.
    He suggested that since this is an "open-carry" State I could add a Colt revolver to make the Old West robber image complete. I like the idea, but don't have the nerve to do it.

Edward, Zombie_61 and belfastboy like this.
  20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I've seen online ads for a number of websites making "theme" masks, i.e. "Star Wars", "Star Trek", Marvel's "Avengers", DC Comics' "Justice League", "Harry Potter", various animals, cartoon faces, and so on; you name it, someone has probably made a mask with it printed on the front. Initially I thought it was a little silly. "Why? This thing isn't going to last long." Boy, was I wrong. I now have three different types that I interchange--the common type with the loops that go over the ears, the "tube" type you mentioned above (known as a "neck gaiter"), and a bandana type (half a bandana, actually) with velcro on the ends to attach them behind your head. They're all a pain-in-the-you-know-what in different ways and none of them are particularly comfortable. Just this afternoon my wife asked me to order one for her that she liked--the "ear loops" type, all black with a multi-colored butterfly printed on the front. So I took the opportunity to order one for myself, also all black but with cartoonish teeth chomping a cigar printed on it. :D If I have to wear the cursed things I might as well have a little fun.

Edward and Lean'n'mean like this.