How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Edward

Edward Bartender

The illogical thnig about the "control" argument is how everyone wearing a mask louses up being able to identify us all in this era of CCTV as an arm of law enforcement - especially as various police forces (including the Met in London) have not long begun to experiment with facial recognition technology. Ironically, the opposite numbers of the folks objecting to masks in the US were at the forefront of suggesting them not so long ago. Meanwhile, anecdotal evidence from several women who cover their faces for religious reasons speaking to the national press suggests that the normalisation of face-covering for health reasons has actually cut the level of abuse they've had on the street, which is at least a positive side-effect.

I read a good research article a while back ,at the time the pres wre pushing the "masks do nothing" angle - a simplified to the point of distortion take on the scientific consensus at the time that masks won't stop it - but they can significantly reduce the risk of spread. According to that and based on testing with microbes of the same size, even the most basic cotton bandana will still cut the risk by 50%, which is not to be sniffed at. n95/pm2.5 cut the risk by something in the region of 80%.

It's interesting, isn't it? Vain critter that I am, the first thing I wanted was to fit the maskswith my look. I did look at an older-style military gasmask, but they wouldn't fit over my glasses. Too overkill to compromise vision. So I've ended up with a couple (and a nice, new brown leather one to be debute soon - hopefully I'll pick up a nice black leather and maybe an oxblood one - to match with jackets, obvs.... ;) ) of which I like the look.

Masks have been worn commonly enough to attract a fashion edge in parts of the Far East for some years as a way of combatting air polution - one reason that culturally people are not resistant to being told to wear one because of the coronovirus. The same could happen here. In truth, and much to my own surprise, the air here in central London was so perceptibly cleaner when traffic was cut by 90% at peak lockdown, I think a lot of us are highly likely to adopt masks gonig forward even post-Covid.

I fidn simple lines, plain patterns and colour-matching works well. Thinking about it, if someosy reproduce some of the geometric and atomic patterns of foties and fifties ties, that could work well. I think leather masks are always a good option too.

Ha. I can imagine that would be a bit like going through Heathrow airport security in an An Poblacht T-shirt. Perfectly legal in itself, but it's going to attract a lot of the sort of attention that could be more hassle than it's worth! ;)

Old Mariner and Zombie_61 like this.
  2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I think one thing the whole mask controversy has exposed is the stupidity of thinking science is "a point of view." Millions of people on the internet arguing that masks don't work doesn't mean that masks don't work. Science cares nothing for talking points.

AmateisGal, Bamaboots, Edward and 7 others like this.
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Here in Canada at least a portion of the confusion and something used by the anti mask folks is the opinion of our Federal Chief Medical Health Officer, Dr Tam.....in the beginning, early March sometime, she announced that masks have not been proven to be effective. She also said they would not close the border as it would be counter productive, then two weeks later they closed the border. So at least here in the north the confusion was promulgated by our chief medical authorities so the crap lies at their feet at least partially. Never made sense to me as it seems obvious masks would at least have some effect.

MisterCairo and Benny Holiday like this.
  4. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

Ah, good to know then. I may well then invest in a Grumpy. At least the facial expression will be the same, only in feline version. I have been trying to keep abreast of the rapidly changing information, although I did buy my first washable one recently (online purchase in Etsy) - a nice navy blue one with small white polka dots. Something that fits in with my style. I made note of some of the seller's other styles to buy as well. Trying to buy from small businesses to help them out.

Edward, Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  5. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

Like anyone really wants to go to Newark, NJ.... They've now banned Tennessee, so that means I have to work at getting to work in NJ. Quarantine me in the Marriott for 14 days, really?

In the interest of a paycheck, I compromised. Every Monday before 8 AM I show up at the hospitals' employee health for a swab. Think about a stick up your nose into your sinus (I think). I've been promised that in two weeks they'll substitute a sputum PCR - looking for pieces of the actual bug. I need to start flossing better.

Now the silver lining, this will defer the heat I'm taking at home out of fear that I'll bring something back from Newark. Still doesn't help with our hotel bedbug phobia.

Three months of masks, endless hand washing, social distancing, home cooking... when do we get the reward?

6. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

My state is experiencing the second wave at the moment. "Victoria recorded its 17th straight day of double-digit coronavirus case increases, with another 66 people diagnosed overnight."

The good news is that Dr. Pepper is back in the country! Yum

Rmccamey and Benny Holiday like this.
  7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Here in my province it is still well under control...we are early phase of the stage 3 opening. Went shopping today and in my small town downtown it was busy and somewhat back to a normal level of activity.

8. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

in Ontario, teens are the worst, twenty somethings are having parties over ten people and then go long distance from city to city spreading it. They think they are invincible, I am afraid none of us are, standing by loved ones coffin as a small child fixed me of that notion. I am taking far more chances than I want to with my business, and interactions in the community and I am mostly only doing what I need too, for survival and to provide for two households . The cost to ones mental health is staggering , my own relationship with my girlfriend of a year fell apart. I have been seeing erractic behaviour from neighbours. Speeding and stunt driving is up and tailgate gathering downtown by young people not six feet apart is common, I just don't get it . 59lark

9. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The mental health effects of this situation are barely beginning to be understood, and I fear it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. People suffering from the disruption of their routines -- and frankly, I don't know anybody who isn't, including myself -- are far more likely to take desperate, dangerous risks because "they're sick of this" and "can't take it anymore." But the more people who do that, the longer the situation is going to go on.

AmateisGal, Old Mariner and Edward like this.
  10. Old Mariner

[general response]

I used to feel bad in an awkardly guilty way for being a reclusive introvert, but I am rather glad for myself that my terrible socializing skills are paying off for myself.

I don't have any girlfriend, or huge circle of friends, no family to really speak of, or even of acquaintances...so, in a bizarre way, I don't really feel like I am missing out on anything now with the virus going around. So, for me there is a sense of surrealness to it all, because it's there...and I know that it's there, but my life is largely unchanged.

DOGMAN, navetsea and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

This describes my wife very well. If no virus/lockdown we would be travelling somewhere in the western USA right now. But if you were to ask my wife about the lockdown she would pretty much shrug. She is a fabric artist very content carding, spinning and knitting her wool....listening to classical music whilst she does it or curled up with a book, her life is largely unchanged.

Old Mariner and Zombie_61 like this.
  12. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

See today's Dilbert. https://dilbert.com/strip/2020-07-04

13. Old Mariner

Feraud and Zombie_61 like this.
  14. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

Loungers; I spent a hour of my late evening loading a dumpster, with high of 35 ceius, it was being on the sun,. our beaches are full on our lakes but they are social distancing , kinda. I would rather load the dumpster. I usually don't work outside at close to ten pm but I might melt. The situation is relaxing, when I went to the small grocery store, they weren't sterilizing the conveor belt every customer anymore and no one at the carts cleaing them . I DONT know if is good or not, with what is going on in the states I don't want to relax safety too much and end up like florida. 59lark

Old Mariner, Bamaboots and Feraud like this.
  15. crawlinkingsnake

crawlinkingsnake A-List Customer

I understand perfectly.......

16. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My germaphobe tendency is to take a Lysol wipe with me into the grocery store. I wipe the cart or basket down, wrap the wipe around the handle and carry with me while I shop. The 'wetness' usually lasts the whole time if I don't doddle. I wipe the cart down when I return it to the rack for the next person.

Old Mariner likes this.
  17. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Whereabouts in Ontario are you located? I am Perth County, immediately west of Waterloo Region and east of Stratford, and the grocery stores, LCBC, etc., all regularly wipe down the belts and trollies. Which is good while I look like a raging alcoholic buying a week and a half's worth of wine and beer at a time...

18. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

I know perth well, I work from Elmira to wingham fixing sewing machines for the amish and the Mennonites and those darn Englishers that have pulled out their machines , some for the first time in a decade. I live in Woodstock ont, but I know places like millbank , poole, wingham , bluevale , auburn etc.
    Did you know booze comsumption in Ontario is up 30 percent, serious enough to concern health Canada. My quaker heritage meant I was never a heavy drinker , and lately lines up out the end of lot , have fixed my desire for a cold beer, that and the calories. its a small foodland, and there are still cleaning but not as everytime and standing there ready to do, like before 4
    59 lark

19. First day back in the office with a thousand others. I've seen three masks so far (other than mine). The company even provided us masks (camo of course ... and made in China), but said there was no requirement to wear it unless you were in food service or meeting with vendors. I do not feel good about this ...

20. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Our City Council has passed an emergency ordinance mandating masks outdoors in all portions of the Downtown Zone, after complaints that several restaurants serving customers on the sidewalk have been doing so unmasked. Violations will be liable for $1000 fine.

I would say that about eighty percent of the people I see on the streets downtown are not masked.