How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

So far, in my county (Montour) in PA, only 2 deaths that I know of.* As time has gone on, I am beginning to believe the hospital here has a bigger effect on people in this area than the governor (whom many seem to loathe and even hate). It's...a rather odd feeling.

*smallest county in PA, so that does account for something I suppose.

2. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

Here in Ontario, things are returning to the new normal, my local foodland is now having the employees must wear masks. The average customer does, I am going to start, I have if I am in tight areas, but almost all of my customers are wearing masks, I try to serve people outside so I have room and fresh air. I went to a winners and I wore a mask and I rushed myself to get my shopping done and over. I booked the ferry to manotolin isand the chi Cheema and no beverages or meals, and you must wear masks, it took a hour and half to book that with waiting no online available this year. my vacation in aug. I am grateful we are doing good and will be able to have a holiday at all. I have been truly blessed, many are not 59lark

3. Old Mariner

Town's Halloween parade cancelled.

4. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Good news for the Brits. With the UK's economy in tatters & Brexit looming large, Mr. Bumbles thought it a good idea, under the guise of this coronacircus, to waste millions of pounds on a 'fight the flab' campaign.
    With two thirds of the population packing more blubber than is good for them & a third positively obese, something has to be done !!! As Mr. Bumbles himself has found out, being on the portly side increases the risk of serious complications should one contract the dreaded COVID-19.
    So in their infinate wisdom, the British government, with Mr. Bumbles firmly at the helm, have decided that TV advertising of naughty foods shall be banned before a certain time in the evenings, so all the naughty little children won't be tempted to shovel even more junk food down their necks..... & the 'icing on the cake' so to speak, with the hope of encouraging the chubbies to take more exercise, £50 vouchers will be offered so they can have their bicycles serviced/repaired free of charge......Yes, as everyone knows, cycling in good for you. Other groundbreaking & innovative measures are likely to be announced as & when they can be thought up.
    In a couple of weeks, the Brits will be a nation of lean, firm-bodied fighting machines, ready to tackle any tribulations that await them.

Any resemblance to an Ealing comedy may not be purely coincidental.

Zombie_61 and Bamaboots like this.
  5. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

I was thinking of Jeeves and Wooster...

6. Old Mariner

The large state fair in the next town over [in Columbia county] had been cancelled. At least locally people are trying to keep this under control with cancelling these crowd inducing events. It is a bit of a bummer, but there's no way to do any sort of social distancing at this fair, and anything I wanted to buy, I can order online from the sellers - I have my list and info.

Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  7. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

I too have heard being overweight increases COVID's effects.

But I also smoke, which the COVID-19 virus doesn't like. My unhealthy habits are finally saving me!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  8. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Lean'n'mean, I couldn't have put it better myself. I'm loving Mr Bumbles, I might even steal that, but old Boris is no fool. I will leave it there, politics and all that.
    Old Mariner, ordering online, although convenient, could never replace the fun of something like The State Fair. I would much rather attend the fair, were it possible. The title of this thread, how is corona virus affecting you, was originally more of a health enquiry with Loungers giving opinions and expressions on what it was like under house arrest, or lockdown if you prefer.

Over time, the lack of engagement with others, the small talk over a coffee, the pleasure of putting the world to rights with others, over a beer or three, how I miss it. Fact is, I have posted on here less and less, mostly because I haven't had much happen that I can tell you about. What I should be doing is counting my blessings, when you look into the last pandemic, the so called Spanish Flu of 1918, you will see that it claimed fifty million lives worldwide. Back then they didn't have the healthcare, the sanitation, the communication and so much more that we all take for granted. But I do miss interaction with others and much as I enjoy the international flavour of The Lounge, the lockdown isolation really is getting to me.

9. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Our experiences with the Drive In have been illuminating. You hear so much today about how the Internet has made theatres obsolete, and that the at-home viewing experience is so much more rewarding, jabber jabber jabber. But the response we've had for this drive in project has been overwhelming -- our last show sold out in less than thirty seconds. In all the years I've been in this business I've never seen anything as that. And then our box office manager had to spend nearly four hours dealing with phone calls from people who were enraged that they couldn't get tickets. People are getting to the stage where they're desperate to be around other people, even sitting in their car in an open field watching a thirty-year-old movie projected onto a tarp.

Zombie_61 and Cornelius like this.
  10. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    I’m wondering to what degree the novelty of it might be the draw.

The last time I went to a drive-in movie (which involved a bit of a journey) it was mostly for the experience of going to a drive-in movie. Having had that experience, for the first time in a long time, I was reminded of why drive-in theaters are mostly a thing of the past. There are many contributing factors to that — the value of acreage close to population centers is near if not at the very top of that list — but really, for actually taking in a film, the drive-in kinda sucks.

Going to the drive-in was, and is, mostly about going to the drive-in. I may do that very thing myself at some point this summer. It would take up several hours all told, but it could be fun.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Zombie_61 likes this.
  11. Cornelius

Cornelius One of the Regulars

Had a similar experience on the near southside of Chicago (Pilsen neighborhood). An indoor soccer facility, housed in a former industrial building along the Illinois & Michigan Canal, hit upon the idea of stacking a few shipping containers in their canalside parking lot and slapping a screen alongside (desperate for revenue since indoor sports leagues are cancelled). Add a low-power FM transmitter and, boom!, instant drive-in. We hit the very first night - the "first" Star Wars (1977) - which sold out in minutes, and I believe they've been just as busy since. $33 per car (with a max. of 5 passengers)

Zombie_61, tonyb and Bushman like this.
  12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

We did have one Karen-type woman show up, take a look at the setup, and snort "WELL THIS ISNT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING" before driving off in a huff. No refund though.

We did our whole setup for less than $2000. We already had an old 10000-lumen projector in storage and a lens with a 75-foot throw that we could use, and we built a screen out of a 30 x 20 tarp laced to a frame made of conduit pipe and attached it to the side of a building. Fifty bucks for a transmitter that I tricked up to work for the sound, and there you go. The local transportation museum let us set up on their grounds for a percentage of the gate, and we charge $20 a carload with a free bag of popcorn thrown in. It isn't the quality of experience you get indoors, and I actually get violently sick after each show from all the mosquito repellent I end up swallowing, but it's better than sitting in the house watching the plaster sag.

Zombie_61 and Cornelius like this.
  13. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I wouldn’t be surprised if you are familiar with an outfit called Blue Starlight, the Austin-based operator of pop-up drive-in movie theaters. According to what I’ve read, they set up showings in Austin and Round Top, Texas, and Minturn, Colo. Today I reserved a spot for us and our car for a showing later this season at the Minturn site, which is near Vail. It’s a nice drive, once you get out of metropolitan Denver.

I’m impressed by Blue Starlight finding a way, vis-a-vis the pandemic, to do well by doing good. The social distancing guidelines are strict. Patrons must stay in their cars except to visit the restrooms, and they must wear masks when outside their vehicles. No viewing from truck beds. Ticketing is “no-contact.” Reading of these policies was all the assurance I needed to send my business their way.

14. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

We had two movie drive-ins in the area I grew up in. One had window speakers, but the other had an AM broadcasting system that allowed you to either mostly hear the movie, or mostly hear a ballgame broadcast from some far-off Northern town (Cincinnati, maybe), depending on the cloud cover. We usually went to the "speaker" drive-in when actually being able to hear the movie mattered to us.

How are current drive-ins with AM systems dealing with the newer vehicles that cut off the battery power after about 10 minutes, no matter the switch position (unless the motor is running, of course)? The local "window speaker" drive-in that I referenced still remains in operation, but recently had to switch to the broadcast system because of late-night noise complaints from the neighbors. That caused lots of complaints from movie-goers that you couldn't listen to the movie on a modern vehicle's sound system without resetting the ignition constantly. The solution offered was to get a battery-powered AM radio, but those aren't common any more either and most folks wouldn't use them to actually listen to the radio anyway.

15. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I wouldn’t put my own money on the future of the movie theater business, but it isn’t because the at-home experience is more “rewarding.” I find it quite the opposite, even with the 60-inch HD screen and the sound bar and the subwoofer on the floor.

Cinemas, like newspapers, will be with us through the indefinite future. But, like newspapers (you know, print on paper newspapers), their share of the market will decrease. And that’s not all bad. Much of the content in those media isn’t really worthy of the cost to print, or to devote an auditorium to.

Judging from what I’ve read, the pandemic has been a shot in the arm for the drive-in biz, though, for a reason almost too obvious to mention.

16. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Those are the same types of rules we're using. Some people fuss about it, but we've had to do surprisingly little enforcement action. Most people are just thankful for the chance to do something other than glare at each other.

Drive ins are a fun thing to do in the summer, but they are by no means a year round solution here. By the middle of October it's far too cold to operate such a venue here -- I know, my first theatre job was in one.

We haven't had any trouble with cars not being able to tune in the broadcast of the soundtracks or radios shutting off. We use a micropower FM system, so there's no skywave interference. Occasionally you'll hear a car start for a few moments to reboot whatever needs to be rebooted, or keep the battery charged. We keep a jump box handy in case anybody's battery goes flat.

Speaker-pole fields were a maintenance nightmare. The cables were constantly corroding and had to be dug up and replaced every few years, the speakers themselves, inside the impressive aluminum casing, were the same chintzy little things you'd find in a cheap clock radio, and it wasn't uncommon for sloppy drivers to either knock the poles over or try to drive off with the speaker box still hanging in their window. Oops.

Entertainment venues are in real trouble right now -- not just movie houses, but concert halls, nightclubs, any place where there's an indoor crowd. Unless there's meaningful Federal aid targeting the entertainment business, thousands of small venues will not survive to reopen, and thousands of people like me -- performers, techies, administrators -- will be out of work. I don't dare to think, at my age, of what that might mean. And the cultural lives of thousands of communities will be that much less richer.

tonyb and Cornelius like this.
  17. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    And the pain ripples out. Publications that depend on advertising from entertainment venues are suffering as well. Some have ceased printing.

18. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

the plan to reopen cinema in my country has been postponed, I think watching movie really worth watching in the cinema is un-replaceable by home theather or VR goggles, etc. having no control in your hand is the big thing, at home I rarely watch the whole movie anymore, I am always tempted to drag the mouse to fast forward when things slowing down.

Lean'n'mean and tonyb like this.
  19. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    Yes, too easy to get distracted at home. Phones, family members wanting attention, knocks at the door, etc., etc., etc.

navetsea likes this.
  20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

When the second Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back, was released in 1980 I foolishly allowed a friend to talk me into going to see it at a local drive-in so we wouldn't have to wait in the long lines outside of all of the local walk-in theaters. The theater we selected had not long before converted from the older "hang a speaker on the driver's window" to the newer and allegedly better technology of a lead/wire with an alligator clamp on the end that you clamped onto your car's metal telescoping radio antenna, and the movies' soundtrack would be broadcast through your car's radio speakers. This was fine in theory, but my car at the time was a '61 VW Beetle. For those who don't know, the '61 Beetle had a single 4.5" speaker mounted on the far left side of the dashboard. Yep. It was like listening to the movie on a pocket-sized transistor radio. Add to this the fact that the geniuses who thought up this jury-rigged audio delivery system didn't figure out a way to completely eliminate any local radio broadcasts that might still be picked up by the car's antenna and...ugh. Luke Skywalker is finally face-to-face with Darth Vader, he's doing his amateurish best with an unfamiliar weapon to fend off the far more experienced Vader's attack and, instead of hearing John Williams' brilliant musical score, this pivotal moment in Star Wars history played out to the sounds of The B-52's "Rock Lobster". o_O

For the most part, drive-In movie theaters are a thing of the past in this part of the world. Any that were within 10 miles of our house were either bulldozed years ago or converted to an outdoor swap meet and occasional "tribute band" venue.

Cornelius and BobHufford like this.