How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Pretty much the same story everywhere I’m aware of.

If the drive-in theater has a future, it will likely be of the pop-up variety. Setting up on some acreage — in a park, on a fallow field — for the relatively small number of nights per year that an operator might draw enough paying customers to make it worth his while, makes infinitely more sense than the “permanent” model.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

To build a permanent drive in from scratch today would come to at least $500,000 just for the equipment and screen. That doesn't include concession equipment, construction of service buildings, or the cost of the land. No way you're going to make that money back even if you're the only game in town.

3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

The drive in movie theatre in the 50-60's were common in this neck of the woods. In the 1970's when land prices started to increase they gradually were sold off for condos. The ones in the outer boroughs remained for a while but as our commuter circle has now expanded to upwards of 90 minutes each way even the ones in the boonies are gone and they too are now condos.

4. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    At the price of real estate up your way, that comes at no surprise.

A quick search indicates there are but three drive-in theaters in all of British Columbia, only one of which is within what might be called reasonable driving distance of Vancouver, seeing how the others are way the hell over in Enderby and way the hell up in Prince George.

If I were to take the drive, though, I’d opt for Enderby, seeing how the summertime weather over that way is likelier to be warmer and clearer.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Enderby is a very nice small town. Prince George is a Pulp Mill town...I know it well as I travelled there every 6-8 weeks for about 10 years to call on the mills....some of my best clients. I too would pick Enderby. I remember as a kid having a choice of 3 drive ins within about a 15 minute drive

6. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Haven't been here for a bit, the wife and I are still working from home and expect to be doing so until we retire.
    Our poor boxer, Molly Dog, has bone cancer so she has chemo coming up tomorrow but it will only delay the inevitable. Such a pain in the ass this dog always was.
    On a corn-o-virus note, it's finally reached my little town and we've jumped from 9 to 15 cases in the past week or so. I went for a motorcycle ride after work and it's business as usual: little league game, restaurants have plenty of cars in the parking lots, I dunno. I expect we'll be overrun here before too long.
    Here's our Molly Dog. Arf!

Attached Files:

Feraud, LizzieMaine and Bamaboots like this.
  7. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    How old is poor Molly?

One of our mutts, who is about 12, we figure, has a collapsed disc between his L1 and L2 vertebrae, which herniated and put pressure on his spinal cord, which caused paralysis in his hind legs. This knowledge come my way thanks to a late-night visit to the emergency vet a week ago yesterday. Eight-hundred and some bucks is all it cost.

He’s been on meds and strict movement restrictions. He objects to spending all but a few minutes every day in a dog crate, but his condition has improved quite a bit. We’ll keep this up until his next visit to the doggie doctor, on August 6.

It may turn out that he has surgery in his future. I’d rather not think what that might cost.

Feraud and Zombie_61 like this.
  8. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Look at that face! How could anyone not love Molly Dog?

Benny Holiday, SteveFord and tonyb like this.
  9. Just Jim

Just Jim One of the Regulars

My first post-Covid followup visit to the doc (for an opportunistic lung infection) resulted in the usual lecture about quitting smoking, etc. When I pointed out that some early research indicated Covid victims who smoked experienced lesser severity, I thought his head was going to explode. Doc is a health nut, but despite my bad habits my resting heart rate, BP, and cholesterol are lower than his.

10. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue." :(

But seriously, after smoking for 32 years I haven't had a cigarette since May 19, 2019. I swear I have a knack for choosing the wrong time to do everything. o_O

11. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

211.086 conf. cases, 192.836 recovered, 9.154 dead.

12. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Molly Dog had her chemo and is still kicking. Hell getting old. She's around 12 which is ancient for a white boxer.
    My tortoises are in their 20s and 40s so they're just getting started. tromper1.jpg

Bamaboots, Zombie_61, Feraud and 2 others like this.
  13. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

In a recent news report, well gossip column actually, I read that Rolling Stone Keith Richard has quit after a lifetime of smoking. He admitted that it was harder giving up tobacco than it was heroin. Why does that not surprise me? In a short film about the production of cigarettes, I saw that the tobacco companies spray the tobacco with at least twenty or more addictive chemicals. Despite that, in my lifetime, smoking has dropped from a high of 85% of the population to just 17%.

So well done you for beating all those addictive chemicals. Here's a post script to the above. Every year I have a thorough medical for insurance purposes, and every year I'm asked about my smoking. I tell the doctor that I haven't smoked in over fifty years, so why am I asked? The doctor says that it's on the crib sheet so the question must be asked. To which I replied: "When I smoked, my then doctor would listen to my chest, but before he put his stethoscope around his neck, he would place his cigarette in the ashtray on the desk." On hearing this tale my current doctor would say: "Ain't that the truth!"

Zombie_61 likes this.
  14. Turnip

Turnip One of the Regulars

Stick to it!
    I did the same some years ago after 30 years smoking.
    You´ll experience, that this will for sure have been one of your better ideas in life!

;)

Zombie_61 likes this.
  15. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I once harbored a fantasy of establishing a combination campground/outdoor movie theater over in the Kittitas Valley of Washington state, which is on the sunnier side of the Cascade range, about a two-hour drive from Seattle.

Lotsa motel rooms in and around Ellensburg, the “big” town in Kittitas County. E-burg is on Interstate 90, and far enough from the state’s major population center to have travelers wanting to put up there for the night.

Your estimate of the cost of equipment alone has me reconsidering just how feasible such a venture might be.

16. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

There's a rumor going round in Germany, that the next lock-down will start on 30.08. and was already "planned" a long time.

Supposedly, all mayors know it a long time.

17. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^
    Repeating a rumor perpetuates the rumor, even when it is labeled as such.

“Many people are saying ... ”

MikeBravo likes this.
  18. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Governments in Germany may be different than in my country but I cannot ascribe grand conspiracy theories to governments as in my experience they have enough trouble accomplishing the easy tasks of governance. How can a group of people that display their incredible incompetence time after time at the same time have the skills required to pull off a mass conspiracy involving hundreds and thousand of moving parts? I can never square that circle.

19. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yep, usually the 'many people' end up being me and a buddy around a table in a tavern.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

My sincere thanks to you both (and to everyone else here who perhaps thought "Good for him"), but I haven't beaten them yet. The last time I tried to quit smoking (2004, in preparation for my impending back surgery) it lasted about 2.3 years before I started up again, and I started again because the craving for a cigarette never went away like "They" said it would. My second attempt has been a different experience, and after only 14 months those cravings occur only every great once-in-a-while and they're nowhere near as strong as they were before. So...we'll see.

MikeBravo and belfastboy like this.