How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

Yes I did. I reported her to the nurse who met with me before the doctor who said he would let his boss know, and then I called patient relations for the facility and left a detailed message about the date, time and exact conversation I had with her.

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  2. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

I went in for my Every Nine Weeks blood donation with the Red Cross Thursday, and now they test for COVID- 19 as part of the process. Negative test result, so, a little peace of mind as a bonus.

3. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I hadn’t really been contemplating the purchase of a Harley-Davidson, but I’m guessing lotsa used ones will be coming on the market in a few weeks.

4. NoraGlover

NoraGlover New in Town

Nothing changed much, though I can't leave my house now and walk my dog very often (at least we have a big backyard). Gladly I can work from home (all I need is a broadband and a laptop nowadays) so the virus hasn't affected my job. Also, I have plenty of food and diesel generator (thanks to my dad). I'm not a very social person so I'm totally okay with just messaging via Facebook or Facetime calls with friends.

Cornelius, Zombie_61 and belfastboy like this.
  5. Edward

Edward Bartender

You'd think people in a position where they are telling others to take precautions would maybe consider that by not following suit themselves all they do is undermine their message.... Here in the UK it's now illegal to go into a shop without a mask, but plenty of folk still do it unchallenged because the supermarkets refuse to enforce it (to be fair, inmy local Sainsburys it seems they are incapable of even making their opwn staff wear them as reqwuired by law - I now refuse to buy fruit in there because the staff stacking those shelves and handling the fruit wear their masks tucked under their chins, both mouth and nose exposed...

I don't think I'm a natural or habitual blind rule-follower, but when people act so selfishly it really drives up the wall. If only they were only taking risks for themsevles...

If not from Covid's direct impact on health, it certainly seems likely we're headed into a recession here in the UK at presemt, so I'd expect a similar shifting of assests to become common over here for a while.

6. I typically avoid Wal-Mart like ... well ... the plague, but had to go yesterday. Even with a mask mandate there was perhaps 50% compliance.

upload_2020-8-11_8-56-3.png

7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

And sales of RV's and Motorhomes are through the roof.

8. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Last Saturday I stopped at the Off Track betting bar to lay down several bets on the Longines Test at Saratoga.
    These were small $1 exacta and trifecta wagers just to scrap the rust off my game after an eight month hiatus.
    Checked back Sunday and won both; however, the win handle was quite lower than usual pre-covid.:(

Bamaboots likes this.
  9. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

No great mystery as to why.

If I were ever to buy a motorhome (not the likeliest prospect anyway) it would all but certainly be used.

10. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

We've been overrun over the past week by tourists -- Massachusetts, New York, Florida, and Virginia plates predominating, and I can't possibly fathom why. There's essentially nothing to do in town but eat mediocre food while sitting on folding chairs behind Jersey barriers on the sidewalk and gawk at the ocean. There is nothing of any interest going on on the ocean, all the summer festivals have been cancelled, there is no "night life," half the restaurants are still closed, and the locals are glaring with increasing menace at those tourists who feel it necessary to flounce up and down the street with no masks on while staring intently at their phones.

Ordinarily this would be a big week for tourists, but at least we'd have some place to put them. But there's nothing for them here now, so they mill around in the middle of Route 1 like pasty-thighed ants whose hill has been kicked over. For the first time in my life, I can't wait till summer's over.

11. ChiTownScion

This made me think of our Miss Lizzie. We share a common peeve of customers abusing the help (particularly younger people working for lower wages) when they're simply doing their job. Hope that the state of Maine enacts a similar statute: if those wonderful Theatre Kids ever come back to work in a more normal situation, they deserve to have their backs protected by such a law.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...orker-enforcing-face-masks-felony/3342856001/

12. earl

earl One of the Regulars

Due only to the fact that Walmart nationally mandates customer mask use have nearly all customers I've seen in our local Walmart lately been wearing them. Before that, less than half on any given day which baffled me frankly. Though not as much bafflement as I get from those who wear masks under their noses or even chins.

13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I wonder what the pasty-thighed ants say about you?

DOGMAN likes this.
  14. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

loungers; I am one of those folks that is about to become a tourist, but I am going to an island still in my province, 0 cases. I will have to travel on a ferry, you must wear a mask, no eating or drinking on the ferry, half the normal passengers, and you must book ahead, which I did. The cottage is on a lake where I saw 4 people last year across the lake in a boat . The only time we see more, is going into gore bay to buy groceries. I will wear a mask, I plan to read a lot and soak in vitamin d. So I hope liz would approve of this kind of tourist, my girls plan to kyak a lot on tobacco lake. I understand , my idea of a holiday is one week, where I am calling daily how is the store doing, memories of my late father on his one holiday calling first question how are my pigs? 59lark

ChiTownScion likes this.
  15. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

I wish that it would be like that for every state. Sad that it is so bad that this even needs to be done.

As a general response - I have been thinking about something. In my local area things are not too bad. Not much of a change from the past few months. So, one thought came to me. Because right here where I am, things don't look like NYC did, and that combined with a particular news channel, I wondered if actual reality *here* is both reinforcing and reflecting back what's been said on that channel. As a result, it just further reinforces the "beliefs" these people have. I wonder, if they would behave any differently, if it were "NYC bad". Due to this sort of "reinforcement", it makes it very hard to convey to such people how bad it can get.

I also am finding out, in walking the COVID minefield with these people, upon talking to them, that it's about numbers. For example: someone has an underlying condition, they wind up with the virus, and die. This is being counted as a "COVID" death, rather than the underlying conditions being exacerbated, being counted as what killed them.

I am finding that I am feeling like I am being gaslighted in the most bizarre way, and am somehow managing not to go into some psychosis because of this.

*sigh*

ChiTownScion likes this.
  16. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

A 73-year-old guy is shot dead. He had heart disease and survived a cancer with a likelihood of recurring. He was bound to be dead within a couple years anyway.

The shooter walks, then?

Old Mariner likes this.
  17. MichaelRhB

MichaelRhB One of the Regulars

Well, in my day-to-day life, the virus has not had any affect on how I live at all.

It has had effect on receiving packages from Germany.

I purchased a very expensive narrow gauge model train from one of my usual shops in German on 16 April 2020. It was shipped out via DHL on the 18th, and landed in the US on the 24th.

"Inbound to US Customs" from the USPS was the last scan this package had and has not been seen since.

I've heard every excuse the USPS and US Customs can come up with, I've written multipe emails to both organizations, the USPS Inspector General's Office, the Federal Trade Commission, the state consumer protection agency, I even filed a theft report with Chicago PD, all to no avail.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm never going to see this very expensive package and no one will claim responsibility.

All are blaming the virus.

ChiTownScion likes this.
  18. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

I think it's pretty clearly conveyed by the tourists that don't wear masks that they don't care if they spread Covid to the people of Maine. Wouldn't you say?

19. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

20. ChiTownScion

Zombie_61 and LizzieMaine like this.