How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Well as her comment of "pasty thighed ants" was directed towards tourists in a generic sense and not just those non mask wearers it is impossible to discern. I find perjorative comments directed to an entire group rarely adds anything of value to a discussion. It just "others' them and reduces them to a sub human category that never belongs in any civilized discussion.

DOGMAN likes this.
  2. I'm 73 yrs old now with a chest port for my chemo treatments and a pacemaker too. Some consider me one of the 'few' expendable. One among the weaker adults and children with compromised immune systems who perhaps just must die since the selfish just don't care for the inconvenience of adapting certain precautions. A self centered dismissal of so sad...too bad. However, If YOU spread COVID to me without showing any symptoms, and it fatally attacks my weaken state..It is the COVID virus that contributed the fatal blow and should be listed as the 'cause'. Makes perfect sense.
    HD

3. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

That's the thanks you get from the selfish of society after your decades of working, paying taxes, raising a family to become well-adjusted, sensible adults and your various other contributions to society. They'd rather good people die and get out of their way so they can continue their self-obsessed existences unimpinged.

Of course that's until the virus comes to them, as it attacks all ages and there have been people in their 30s killed by it here. Then it's all about their needs and their lives.

4. You hit the nail on the head BH.

5. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

They may as well come right out and say to you and me and all us other “underlying conditions” that the younger and less vulnerable are not obligated to respect our desire to remain among the living and that we ourselves have a duty to die.

(Expletive deleted.)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  6. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

Are you more disturbed by someone making a snarky generalization online about the nature of the movement of tourists (they mill around in the middle of Route 1 like pasty-thighed ants whose hill has been kicked over) than the fact that Maine is overrun by tourists who choose to not follow Covid protocols mandated by the state and CDC? That truly reduces those of us who are exposed to them as sub-human versus a harmless categorization about how they ambulate. Civilized discussion means being charitable by focusing on the spirit of what is shared and not twisting it as a reason to passively suggest that Lizzie's contribution is uncivilized or has nothing of value. The tourists who put my life in danger have been very distressing to me and Lizzie has a way of making me laugh. Priceless. Thank you, Lizzie, also for your work here as a volunteer bartender.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Well, we do have a word we use, I'm sure anyone from the Northeast knows the word I mean. Pre-virus, it was sort of a sense of having these annoying cousins who'd barge into your house any time they felt like it, eat all your food, spill drinks on your furniture, let their kids run wild, and let their dog pee on the floor. And then when they finally do leave they insult your decor on the way out the door and as they pull out of the driveway they leave a big dent in your car.

Other than that, of course, we like them just fine.

As for the rest of it, we are a blunt-spoken people in the Northeast, and there are words even blunter than those that I've used that could be deployed to describe the situation we find ourselves in here. We've taken very strict steps and made considerable collective sacrifices over the past five months to head off this virus, and because the vast majority of people who live here have the sense to do what they're told for the sake of the common good even if they might not personally like it, we've managed to avoid the worst of the pandemic. But every reckless tourist that parades thru OUR streets -- not their streets, OUR streets -- without observing OUR regulations is a potential risk to OUR lives and OUR livelihoods. When they start showing consideration for OUR lives by following OUR regulations or staying out of OUR state, then I'll show consideration for their oh-so-thin-and-pasty skins.

8. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Attention, tourists: we are not background extras in your summer Instagram video. You're guests here. Either act like it and follow both the letter and the spirit of our regulations, or get out. Your money is not worth our lives.

Several of our local restaurants have signs posted: IF YOU ARE FROM OUT OF STATE AND HAVE NOT QUARANTINED FOR TWO WEEKS SINCE ENTERING THE STATE -- DO NOT ENTER. Others are refusing to open at all until the "tourist season" is over. At the theatre, which won't be opening untill fall at the earliest, quite a few of our regular patrons say they won't set foot in the place until all the tourists are gone.

9. Edward

Edward Bartender

Here in England (it'sa devolved matter, though the ruels are similar across all UK jurisdictions), the government passed a law which mandates the wearing of masks on all public transport and in all shops. The supermarkets imeediately respaonded by saying that they would not be putting their staff "at risk" by enforcing it, and so a large number of selfish idiots don't bother. They reak down in three types, really:

- the idiots who refuse to wear a mask, and parade around making a show of it as if they expect ot be applauded. 99.9% of these are men.

- the idiots who refusae to wear amask but are less brazen, so they tuck it under their nose or chin in case they're seen, in which circumstances they will pull it up. One of these idiots actually stacks the loose fruit aisle in Sainsbury's Whitechapel. I no longer buy fresh fruit in there as a result. Even split on gender.

- those who wear masks themselves, but because their children are under 12 and not obliged to wear one by law, they don't bother with them, yet they'll still birng six of them into the supermarket, running about, touching things. Germ factories. Compliant with the law (unthinkingly so), but idiots nonetheless.

It's like the smoking ban - the only way it can work is when the supermarkets are fined for allowing it to be breached on their premises. No mask, no sevice.

Reads like it was written by the fifteen yea old kid on work experience at the paper - you know, the one with "strident views about personal freedom" and no concept of "society".

10. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Yeah, if only it were that we’d all do the right thing because it’s the right thing to do.

Negative consequences would seem necessary, eh? Back before such practices were made illegal, I drove cars without wearing seatbelts and even occasionally rode motorcycles without wearing a helmet. It didn’t take an ordinance forbidding smoking in public places to get me off the habit altogether, but it did take a harder slap than the man-made law might have thrown at me.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Benny Holiday, Edward and LizzieMaine like this.
  11. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

You already hear people railing about how, by gawd, they won't take a covid vaccine once it's available. Thank the Internet for that particular hive of actively-cultivated willfull stupidity. If the Internet's present cavalcade of gawping conspiratorial idiocy had existed in 1953, we'd be too busy still fighting polio to care about covid.

Cornelius, seres, Old Mariner and 6 others like this.
  12. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

One of my wife's long-term friends seems to have lost her mind over all of the Coronavirus news. This is (or was) a good friend who I used to believe was rational and reasonable, but she now posts wild and angry rants almost daily on Farcebook about how Party X from Axis Y are making it all up because they're all still upset about the other side winning a particular poll for public office, and that the vaccine will not only give everyone COVID-19 but also contain a technologically miraculous "chip" of some sort that the government will not only use to track us wherever we go, but will also be used like a debit/credit card to replace money. o_O

Bartender Edit: some content redacted for reasons of political neutrality.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2020
  13. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    Everybody knows that! Where you been, man?

Zombie_61 and Tiki Tom like this.
  14. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

And, yeah, one of my lovely missus’s better friends has been gulping the Kool-Aid, too. She’s a devotee of the “plandemic” theory. It’s almost heartbreaking, really.

Zombie_61 and Tiki Tom like this.
  15. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Oh yeah. I have a former high school classmate who is adamant that Covid-19 is just a variant of the flu and has been “weaponized” (his term) by the mainstream media and others for political purposes. He also suspects that any vaccine will be a Trojan horse for some other nefarious goal, but I don’t think he’s specifically pinned that one down yet. In most other respects you would not suspect him of holding uncommon views, which kinda makes me wonder exactly how uncommon these views are.

tonyb likes this.
  16. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I think most of them sat too close to the color TV when they were kids and the radiation fried their frontal lobes.

Fifty-six years ago, historian Richard Hofstadter wrote a piece for Harper's documenting what he called "The Paranoid Style In American Politics." In his day it was Commies under the bed and fluoride in the water. I wonder what he'd think of 2020?

Feraud, seres, Benny Holiday and 2 others like this.
  17. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

Would that this anti- vax silliness were only confined to the internet.

A few years ago, my wife happened to have business in a city wherein dwelled a particular underground comix artist whom I have both admired for his work and corresponded with for decades. Figured that we'd finally get to meet face to face. So, we arranged to treat him to a nice dinner out.

When I finally got to meet my hero, he really turned out to be, well, something different from what I had anticipated. I knew that some regarded him as a bit crazy.. but I attributed that to the quirky iconoclastic aspects of his works.

Sitting down to dinner, however, I soon found him to be a LOT crazy. And I don't mean loveable artistic eccentric crazy.. but full blown bats*** crazy. He started in with some 9/11 truther silliness, but then he got into the anti- vax conspiracy silliness. My dear wife, a Master's degree prepared nurse practitioner, blew up at him and soon stormed out with an, "I'll be in the car!!"

I tried to steer the conversation to his art and life experiences that inspired same (his stuff is heavily autobiographical) .. but he kept steering it hard a starboard back to his conspiracy theories. We parted that evening friends.. but it was very, very awkward.

Later had a conversation with his wife, an artist in her own right, who said, "Well, I tried to warn you.." She has my deepest respect for staying with him. I remained friends with him on Facebook.. until one of his conspiratorial fueled tirades against contact tracing provoked a reaction on my part, and he unfriended me. C'est la guerre.

A sad lesson, sometimes. Even when you love and admire them, nut cases just cannot be reasoned with.

18. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

It’s a frightening prospect, ain’t it? About all I can do about any of that is not to meet it in kind.

The virus puts to an uncomfortable test many people’s most cherished beliefs about themselves and how their world ought to be. It’s a magical sort of thinking, that “everything will work out okay provided everything works out okay” mindset. It’s sad to see it in individuals (we all have that day-late, dollar-short friend), and truly tragic in our institutions.

So we go from denying the problem to downplaying the problem to wishing the problem away — like a miracle — to saying a solution is on the horizon. And all along is constructed a narrative that absolves us of our own responsibilities for our present circumstances. Those narratives can run to the phantasmagoric.

Feraud and Zombie_61 like this.
  19. Edward

Edward Bartender

This is why they say "Never meet your heroes"!

20. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

All the people I most admire are dead. Which is probably just as well.