How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I read an interview with a number of young folks about the pandemic and its affect. One thread was questioning the mixed messages they receive from those in authority. On the one hand they are told to stay home, or at least congregate in small groups, social distance etc and on the other hand are sending them back to schools in a few weeks with no real plan in place. Their response is WTF? I am thinking if I can remember back to my teens and early 20's I would likely be in the group flouting the requests.....after all when I was that age I was pretty sure I was bullet proof. I think it comes with the territory and us old farts forget that we once had that perspective too. Right or wrong it comes with the arrogance of youth and I am thinking my condemnation needs to be tempered a bit.

crawlinkingsnake and Zombie_61 like this.
  2. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

Too bad that you didn't take pics and report the S.O.B.

Old Mariner and Feraud like this.
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

So this is interesting...at least to me. Visited my ex boss and his wife on Sat night. We sat outside, socially distanced and talked for about 3 hours. Today received an email from him that his son just went in for Covid testing as he felt some constriction in his throat. I have a few meetings scheduled for this week plus a trip to the hospital. Not sure what to do I searched the Provincial Health websites looking for direction. Could not find anything pertinent to my situation and it will be upwards of 3 days before the test results come in. Disappointed to find conflicting information from different government sources....same government just different agencies and web sites. I finally phoned the 811 Nurse help line and sat on hold for a loooong time. Turns out I am much more concerned than the authorities. I just wanted to be sure of what the socially responsible action should be. I am to proceed with my life, attend my meetings, if his test comes back positive we need to monitor ourselves for symptoms and if they arise we need to self isolate for the 14 days. Otherwise we are good to go. I am surprised and hope the lad's test result is negative....(he works in a fresh produce store)

Benny Holiday likes this.
  4. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

last Sunday, I felt some sore throat, cough once or twice, I paranoidly think of covid , I took a medicated lozenges once hoping for the best...
    sore throat gone :D I met no one the entire week, wearing mask everytime I go out even when only answering bell for package delivery, it is almost impossible for the virus even if there is some on the surface of groceries I bought and touch and eat can get accumulated enough to make me ill.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  5. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

Yesterday when fetching the mail, I opened an envelope from my mail-order pharmacy. It explained that it couldn't refill my prescription because my doctor had "passed". WTF?! I have an appointment scheduled for this morning! I picked up my phone and Googled the Doc and there it was. He died in early May of COVID-19. He was only a little over a year older than me!
    I remember making the appointment last week. I don't know what I could have expected the person in his office who set the appointment to have said, but, still!
    I don't know who I'll be seeing this morning.
    I liked the guy. He was very down-to-earth, not at all like some physicians, the ones with the god complex. He was an Air Force veteran and had been White House physician to both Ronald Reagan and the elder George Bush.

6. Edward

Edward Bartender

TBH, while I was very much an angry young man, I was very selective about what I chose to rebel against; I was always reasonably good about not donig something daft just because everybody else did it. I supposed I rebelled against my peers as much as I ever did The Man. In my early twenties as now, I'd have loved the excuse to wear a cool mask everywhere. Indeed, I'm rather hoping they remain 'a thing' here in London going forward...

Turnip and Old Mariner like this.
  7. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

How tragic for him, his family, friends, co-workers and patients! It's also scary because, Covid.

I lost a trusted medical provider to cancer a couple of years ago; she went from diagnosis to passing within months. I was devastated and took me a long while to find someone to replace her who was equally as kind and competent.

Old Mariner likes this.
  8. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

That’s just awful. So sorry to hear the news.

9. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

A very sad reminder that our health care professionals are on the front line all the time where the virus is concerned, whether they work in hospitals or even local clinics. Very sorry to hear about your Doctor KN.

Old Mariner and Feraud like this.
  10. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I learned a couple hours ago that a cousin’s husband died of COVID-19. Her youngest offspring, a long-grown man at this point, has tested positive.

This cousin, with whom I have had very little in-person contact in decades, has turned into quite the reactionary. She has hurled a couple of online insults my way in recent months, but, you know, she’s family, we both loved our grandfather and he loved both of us, so I just ignore her, and know that I’m blessed that we aren’t likely to find ourselves sharing a Thanksgiving dinner.

She had been a COVID denier. If I were a finer person, I wouldn’t be feeling this sense of schadenfreude. I’m not proud of it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  11. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Indeed. I've always held that it is good to see any Chicago team in post season play.
    Though its is embarrassing to admit that I once ran into Ernie Banks at O'Hare after the Sox won the Series,
    which I was perhaps a little too happy about, and got scolded by my boyhood idol Mr Cub himself.
    "What's so great about it?"
    "Co'mon Ern, a Chicago team..."
    "We're gonna win it next year."
    "Yes sir."
    God bless him, Ernie Banks was a character.:)

ChiTownScion and Zombie_61 like this.
  12. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

Pretty much the same way here. Although, in my 20s, it was dealing with Fibromyalgia and Sciatica, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and then finding that I wound up with brain damage (fine motor skills region) because of the trauma. So, I tend to carry a heaviness (a seriousness) because I had no time to spend being immature, but rather being my own self advocate and doing what research I could to help myself out since the rx meds I was on did not help (and sometimes made me worse).

This isn't to say I did not have "lighter" moments, but they were far and few between. A respite from doing the work of research and self advocacy with regards to alternative-natural healing.

Edward likes this.
  13. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

I spent too much time supporting myself and putting myself through college in my youth to have much time for being rebellious. My friends were always going to protests. I went to work. That said, I admire youth who can clearly articulate what they believe in and behave accordingly.

Old Mariner, Edward and ChiTownScion like this.
  14. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

There's a difference between being genuinely rebellious and just being a contrarian. One knows the stakes and the other doesn't care.

Old Mariner, Feraud, Edward and 2 others like this.
  15. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

I participated in one student protest as an undergrad- and it really had more to do with standing up to a bully than any monumental issue of great significance. Some Coach Rockjock type in the Physical Ed department had gotten heavy handed with a student and tried to have the kid suspended for "insubordination." About 500 of us marched on Old Main.

Kid was exonerated, the coach was reprimanded, and life went on. Compared to some of the Vietnam war era protests of a few years earlier, it was small potatoes.... but nothing was broken and no one was hurt.

16. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

You sound like you have been reading Francis Kenny's: "Understanding John Lennon."

17. Edward

Edward Bartender

At our small, private wedding last week (itself conducted in circumstances other than what we'd always expected), on entering the church I had the somewhat sobering awareness of knowing I'll never again see one of our long-time door stewards. 'Sam', as he still went by (a relic of his army days in less culturally open times), was Fijian and had signed up and served for years in the British Army. We (me being from Northern Ireland) used to joke about his service under Operation Banner a lot; he was one of the first British soldiers deployed to NI when they first sent the troops in in 1969 right at the beginning of the modern phase of 'The Troubles', and in many cases the first person of colour many of the locals had ever actually encountered other than on television. Some of the stories he used to tell about that! Sam died of Covid 19 in late May 2020. As much as he will be missed, for as long as he remains in living memory the boom of his laughter will still echo in Wesley's Chapel, London. One of those rare characters it was a genuine privilege to know.

18. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Not sure if you mean "while this Covid thing is still a thing" or "wouldn't it be cool if we had to do this forever", but if the latter, WHY???

There is nothing cool or fun about any of this, and I for one cannot wait until the state imposed restrictions we face are no longer necessary.

19. Edward

Edward Bartender

It was specific to the masks. I've discovered I rather enjoy the sense of slight 'distance' and 'privacy' they give in a public place, and it would be nice to wear one during cold/flu season as of normal. The fact that they don't immediately cause suspicion or comment nowadays is a plus.

The other restrictions, sure I hope they go as soon as is possible. I miss cabaret, the theatre, cinema.... the latter is, I believe, now open again here, but we're still a way away from feeling safe enough to return to public spaces where avoidable for now.

Benny Holiday and Feraud like this.
  20. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Congratulations on the wedding. Condolences on losing “Sam.”

Edward, Zombie_61 and Benny Holiday like this.