How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes Edward congratulations! Sorry for your loss also.

Edward likes this.
  2. Edward

Edward Bartender

Thank-you both.

3. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

A wedding outbreak has directly or indirectly infected 123 people and caused one death. Inside the venue, Big Moose Inn, the total number of wedding guests — 62 — exceeded the 50-person limit that the state allows for indoor gatherings as part of its coronavirus restrictions. They didn't wear masks. 54 inmates and employees of the York County Jail in Alfred, more than 200 miles to the south, and nine employees and residents of a rehabilitation center in Madison are infected as a result of the wedding. One woman who did not attend the wedding has died.

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/08...qxz1vADr6ARYQdWLrnxRNnCM7897YzbVxgFCmE6vibOMQ

They aren't naming the couple but I found who they are via google sleuthing. Why is the media protecting them?

4. Bugguy

Bugguy A-List Customer

For what its worth, I live in Tennessee, apparently a high incidence state, and work almost full-time in New Jersey. Along with 32 other states, I should technically quarantine for 14 days every week when I fly in. I fall under two exemptions large enough to drive a truck through.... business traveler and essential personnel (work in a hospital). I met with our CEO and VP for HR and we cut a deal - I get swabbed every Monday morning and every Wednesday for the past 8 weeks, I get my uniformly negative results back. Not a bad deal because my family was more concerned about what I'd bring home from New Jersey - they were an initial hot-spot.

I'll probably qualify for a vaccine trial, as one of the pharma's is based in NJ. In my simplistic way of thinking, if I don't participate, I am 100% unprotected. If I do, and its a blinded Phase 3 trial, I have a 50% chance of being randomized into the vaccine arm or 50% into placebo. For me personally, being an 'n' of 1, I'll never actually know if it worked as I may never be exposed and derive a benefit, albeit the efficacy may be less than 100% anyway and I'll get it. I guess that's why there will be hundreds of thousand in the trial.

Assuming a proven vaccine becomes available, I suppose I'll need to get it to be sure. It's the down side of being in a higher risk population (age) vs. the maskless immortality of youth.

5. JustinW

JustinW A-List Customer

I’ve worked in public health emergency preparedness and response for over ten years. All of a sudden I don’t have to struggle to explain my job when someone asks what I do.

6. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Probably to prevent them from being lynched by the righteous vigilantes.

7. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Working short hours but having full work load, order intake for coming month goes straight upwards, so though running on last notch I don’t get everything necessary done...

8. PrettySquareGal

The media should be in the business of reporting facts that aren't protected by any confidentiality or ethics laws, and naming people who aren't legally entitled to privacy (minors). The couple along with the inn didn't care to take steps to prevent death and a state-wide outbreak, so why are they entitled to protection from being publicly shamed?

LizzieMaine, what do you think?

Old Mariner, Bushman and ChiTownScion like this.
  9. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

Is that really your expectation, after the "reporting" we've seen for the last ten or twenty years? Apparently they've provided plenty of information for folks who want to spend time "Google sleuthing" for the purpose of "public shaming" people they don't know over a situation they weren't involved with.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    MisterCairo likes this.
  10. Lean'n'mean

With inflammatory (& exaggerated) remarks like "The couple along with the inn didn't care to take steps to prevent death and a state-wide outbreak"... you've answered your own question. Although righteous indignation against the unmasked on a forum may not change anything, the anger & hate displayed in society at the moment towards individuals or groups that don't swallow the 'official' line, is enough for some unbalanced pilgrims to endow themselves with a mission & teach those who don't fall in line a lesson. Naming & shaming is one thing but in the current climate, it could be considered incitation to violence or worse.

DOGMAN and MisterCairo like this.
  11. Lean'n'mean

Should be ? No, the media is in the business of making money & influencing public opinion.

DOGMAN and MisterCairo like this.
  12. PrettySquareGal

As a resident of Maine, I am affected and involved.

13. PrettySquareGal

I agree but yes, they should be. Sad.

14. PrettySquareGal

Sadly I do have to agree with you here as well, specifically that in today's climate some vigilantes would take matters in their own hands. It's why I didn't post their names here since I have mixed feelings and thoughts about it.

15. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

They violated the law, and endangered the public by that violation, and their violation of that law has already resulted on one death. There could be others. They could be criminally charged. If that happens, they're no more entitled to have their names withheld than somebody who goes out driving with a snootful and ends up killing someone on the highway.

Aside from the violations of the emergency orders now in place, public endangerment itself is also a crime. The outbreak in Millinocket is the most severe we've had in this state in months, and not ironically, it came in a section of the state full of Covid-deniers, conspiracy-pushers, and self-appointed You Tube experts. Surprise, surprise, surprise.

16. PrettySquareGal

Good points, Lizzie!

17. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

At this point, people not wearing masks is a case of willful ignorance, pure and simple. People know the inherent danger, and when they create situations like the above, should be charged accordingly.

I'll bring up something I mentioned way back when the thread was started: when the Hell did Americans become so selfish? Concurrently, there's an active thread discussing food rationing in the US during WWII. Americans rationed a lot more than just food. They rationed rubber, wood, metal, and even bacon fat, which was turned into glycerin for explosives. Americans were willing to do what was necessary for the betterment of their countrymen. Why can't we do that anymore? What in our culture changed, and when, that we've become so anti-helping our fellow Americans?

18. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

Agreed. Some folks can't seem to understand that wearing a mask is something that you do more to protect other people, although there could be/might be/probably is (take your pick) some amount of protection for yourself, as well.

19. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

America has always had a streak of all-for-me-and-the-hell-with-you running thru its soul, going all the way back to the holier-than-thou Puritans, who were all for the collective as long as it was THEIR collective. One thing we find time and again in the Era Day By Day thread is how many petty swindles and sleazy scams were going on at that time, how many smalltime weasels were out there working their angles. And, how willing so many people were to look for a way out of doing their part -- right now in our exploration of Brooklyn 1940, we find that the marriage license counters have been swarmed for the past month by selfless members of The Greatest Generation trying to beat out the coming draft. So in that sense, I think you can make a good argument what we see now is just an amplification of what's always been just under the American surface.

But there was always a social force against that, too -- mainline religion was one brake against relentless selfishness, and the "social contract" philosophy was another, the idea that everyone belonged to society and that the ultimate good for each individual was active participation in, and understanding one's obligation to society. If you read any civics book of the early 20th Century, that is the one theme that is relentlessly emphasized -- you don't just live in society, you are an inextricable part of it.

The Cold War era came along after WWII, and there was an organized propaganda campaign against "collectivism." But what got lost was *communitarianism,* which was the dominant philosophy of the Era and before, and in its place, we got a National Association of Manufacturers-approved emphasis on the Holy Individual above all else. That was the dominant philosophy pushed in the postwar era, and we're still soaking in it today.

And that's why so many people feel entitled to their own sets of facts -- DONT BE A SHEEPLE, ESCAPE THE GROUPTHINK, YOU KNOW WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU. JUST WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN THE TRUTH THEY WON'T TELL YOU! SUBSCRIBE TO THIS WEBSITE, CONTRIBUTE TO THIS MINISTRY, DONATE TO MY CAMPAIGN! Who are those ELITES to tell YOU to wear a mask? YOU'VE GOT RIGHTS!

YOU YOU YOU. ME ME ME. I I I. And who cares about THEM THEM THEM?

20. Spoiled, self centered, egocentric.