How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

But with additional Lewy-body-dementia.

2. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

3. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

number keep on rising here in my country indonesia, who knows the real figures since nobody in my area is tested, I have a little sore throat these last 2 weeks never developing into anything I just took lozenges so far and vitamins , maybe I got it but just with mild effect since I also quite resistant to flu and cold in general, if it would attack digestive system then probably I would be miserable since Im always been weak on my digestive. I don't visit anyone, carrying a mask now is a habit, I always have it with me, my leather mask is developing character after being worn regularly for 4-5 months now. initial shock is gone, life around me back as normal, people going to cafe, to amusement park, barber/ hair salon, GP practice is open sick people sitting in the waiting room next to each other, I dunno... I guess we are heading toward herd immunity or vaccine whichever comes first.

MikeBravo and Ticklishchap like this.
  4. Just Jim

Just Jim One of the Regulars

Something I just don't understand is the push-back against attributing fatalities to Covid-19. Yeah, in many cases there are pre-existing conditions, but for Covid-19 the people would have continued to live out their lives.

I can understand why some politicians are trying to reduce the number of fatalities attributed to Covid-19: by minimizing the numbers, they can try to minimize the apparent severity of the pandemic. It just seems to me that too many folks are whistling in the dark about this; judging by the obits yesterday, a couple of the locals who were most-obnoxious about it have found out.

5. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    Looks to me like you got it about right.

Old Mariner and Edward like this.
  6. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Political tribalism in this country has led people who are split along party lines to simply parrot their politicians of choice, and go "Lalalalala!" with their fingers in their ears when confronted with anything other than an echo chamber.

It's been made worse over the last decade through algorithm based search engines and social media platforms that are designed to give people what they want and ONLY what they want. The same algorithms that were designed for target based advertisements (the person that visits several shoe websites, or social media accounts will get only shoe advertisements) have inadvertently turned each person into their own individual echo chamber, where they encounter only like-minded opinions from like-minded people.

Of course, developers and owners of social media have no interest in changing this. Happy and compliant consumers means returning consumers. It's the same reason that, these days, a store will take back a return without a receipt, even if that store doesn't even sell the item being returned. It's more profitable to have a happy repeat customer, than to tell the customer no and risk them never shopping at that store again. Instant gratification has created petulant customers.

7. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

The more deaths attributed to Covid-19, the more it looks like the "experts" either don't know what they're doing or aren't doing their jobs. But attribute the deaths to a disease/condition that existed before Covid-19 but could feasibly be somehow connected to Covid-19, and those same experts can say, "See? We discovered it, we took charge and controlled it, and we were able to minimize the number of people who died." So they keep changing the rules on how they're allegedly keeping track of it all and announce different numbers several times a day, and those of us who aren't directly involved lose interest and start to take whatever they tell us at face value. After that, what difference does it make?

Speaking as a native Californian, I'm certain this state will be back on lockdown no later than Tuesday because it's largely populated by self-entitled morons who actually believe they are in possession of something called "rights" which somehow allow them to do whatever they wish without repercussion; the "politicians" in charge of the state know this, so they'll report increased numbers, blame the people who live here, and issue yet another "stay at home" mandate.

Now, there are a few of us who realize these "rights" are actually "privileges" that have been issued by a subset of self-entitled morons who, surprisingly, have been selected by the larger group of self-entitled morons to oversee and rule them. This subset is often referred to as the aforementioned "politicians" and have been given individual titles such as "Governor", "Attorney General, and "Mayor". They retain the power to revoke any "privileges" that have been issued, usually explained as being "for the greater good" and which normally results in resistance from the lower morons, which is why California is in a constant state of confusion--it's the dumb leading the dumber here and very few are doing what they're supposed to be doing, so the whole process keeps going in circles like a dog chasing it's tail. All I know is the masks I keep in my truck allow me to play along with the stupidity and run whichever errands I need to run unmolested. *shrug*

8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Interesting discussion in today's paper. It was a reprint of the Munk debates on the Swedish response to the virus. Two Swedish health professionals...one argued that the Swedish approach was absolutely the right one. The other argued it was an abject failure. Now the two professionals appeared to NOT have an ideological axe to grind it was strictly about the science. To me it pointed out how complex this issue is and too often in the west it is muddied greatly by politics/ideology and takes a complex issue and makes it so much harder to unpack. Here were two dedicated non political medical professionals with diametrically opposed perspectives. If they disagree what is a hopeless layman like me to do....how am I to discern which is the best approach? Is there in fact such a thing as a 'best' approach?

9. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

^ Make no mistake, here in the U.S. EVERYTHING is about money, which muddies those same waters exponentially. But you're absolutely right--when two people whose profession it is to sort out issues like Covid-19 can't come to an agreement on how to defeat it, what chance do the rest of us have?

DOGMAN and Old Mariner like this.
  10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My response has been to stay out of the political fray and do what I discern is the effective thing to do. As I am in the high risk cohort I am cautious but def not fearful. We wear masks when required or requested, we socially distance and we are both very much stay at home folks anyway so the isolation part has not been onerous at all. I miss our travels in the US this year as normally we are on the road somewhere for 3-4 months of the year and this year nothing at all. We will just remember this year as the 'year we stayed home'.....one could do so much worse.

Old Mariner, Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  11. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

The thing about a pandemic of this scale in our lifetime is it presents generations of people with something they've never had to pay attention to before: that all science is trial and error. There is, after all, a reason that medical science is called a "practice." With many of the vaccines that came about in the 20th Century, such as polio, those diseases had existed in societies for centuries. We weren't clamoring for a polio vaccine because it wasn't nearly as communicable as COVID, and it'd been around so long we simply learned to live with it.

But science -all science- is a matter of trial and error. Even the computer engineering that produces that phone in your hand went through months of testing and tweaking. But nobody is dependent on the next model of iPhone for their life, so nobody really cares to pay attention. Journalists don't knock on Apple Inc's door looking for when the next update will be ready.

But with COVID, everybody not only wants a vaccine, for some, they truly need it, and that means lots of asking about updates, and in turn lots of scrutiny. For the first time, many people are seeing science for how it really works, all the time, and all the failure and uncertainty that comes with it.

12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

We also live in a culture that's been promoting paranoia as a legitimate lifestyle choice for the better part of sixty years. Conspiracy theories are built on the back of a paranoid mentality, and paranoid political cults have been promoting such theories on pretty much an industrialized basis since the rise of the Birchers in the late 1950s. Don't trust the Government, don't trust science, don't trust your doctor, don't trust the media, don't trust anybody -- except the National Association of Manufacturers and the publishers of this magazine. Oh, and be sure to send in your renewal and pay your dues and buy this t-shirt.

Sixty years ago, it was fluoride in the water and diet soda that was going to turn Americans into communist zombies. Now it's vaccines and "plandemics." But it's the same type of cults selling the same ideas to people who think they're wised up, "red pilled," or whatever you want to call it. The difference now is that they don't have to squander resources on a magazine only the true believers will ever bother to read -- not when they can reach millions with deranged You Tube videos, cable TV programs, and Facebook.

13. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

I spent a month and a half in quarantine last spring. I didn't have COVID--I had to drive an hour to get a test--just a lingering cough from a cold. Luckily, I was able to work from home and get groceries delivered via Instacart.

Lately? I had a hard time finding canning lids, paid a ridiculous amount of money for ammo, and had to return a leaking carton of half-and-half because my glasses were fogged over and I couldn't see the lid was missing. But if I were looking to move, freedom-loving South Dakota would be high on my list of places to look at.

belfastboy likes this.
  14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I was driving on the freeway in S Dakota and was surprised to see a group of road bicyclists riding the shoulder next to the big semi rigs. I stopped in a small town bike shop and asked.."are you really allowed to ride a bike on the freeway?". She replied.."honey, this is the Dakotas, not many of us live here so there are all manner of things you can do here you can't do anywhere else." If it weren't for the horrendous winters I be giving it some consideration.

15. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Note that this thread is for discussion of how the pandemic is affecting you, your life, and your plans. The absolute ban on discussing current politics here at The Fedora Lounge applies. We would regret closing this thread but will if the rule isn't followed.

PrettySquareGal likes this.
  16. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

I'm dreading the isolation of the upcoming winter. Here in New England it will be too cold to dine and socialize outside.

17. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

We now have the largest number of active cases in my area that we've had here since the crisis began, but so far, we are assured, there is no "community spread" yet. Thankfully, today is the traditional end of the Tourist Season, so hopefully all of our Beloved Guests who've so generously shared their bounty with us will go home now before it gets any worse.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  18. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

I've found myself becoming more and more defensive if anyone comes within ten feet of me while I'm in public, even when we're both properly masked. I'm wondering if & when we ever see an effective immunization introduced we'll still have this heightened sense of territorial imperative as part of our psyches.

I used to scoff at those who wouldn't shake hands because of what I thought was a Howard Hughes- type paranoia about receiving germs: evidently yesterday's paranoia can become today's prudent precaution.

19. earl

earl One of the Regulars

Born and bred in South Dakota but for past 30 years have lived some 400 miles south of there. Yeah, the winters, I'm not a fan.

20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

The same goes here, except I'd describe it as being more "offensive" because I don't particularly care if anyone comes near me, but I want to be respectful enough to give others their six feet (at least) of personal space so they won't feel uncomfortable.