How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Yep. The older I get, the more actively I avoid spending real-life time around most people my own age. Too many are "antisocial" in the worst sense of the word. There are exceptions -- and it's always a pleasant surprise to come upon one -- but in general most people my age seem to be so busy straining out the gnat that they're practically choking to death on the camel.

Old Mariner and ChiTownScion like this.
  2. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I've seen more than a few videos of women, and a few men, being rather belligerent about their "rights", and every one of those videos annoyed me greatly simply because the "authority figure" in each one never bothers to explain two simple things to the aggressor:

1) This is the United States (where all of the videos I've seen happened). Regardless of what you've been told, you DO NOT have any rights. You have privileges, and those can be revoked at any time.

2) These altercations almost always take place inside of a building, or at least in a parking lot, and the aggressor almost always starts shouting about what he or she can do in a public place. Trouble is, these never happen in a place that is legitimately deemed "public". That building and/or parking lot is/are owned by someone, and I'm/you're/they're only granted the privilege to be there as long as I/you/they follow whatever rules have been created by the property owners. If the property owner says you must wear a mask to enter, you either need to have one handy or you need to get one. Don't have one? Can't get one? Bye bye Karen! Take those "rights" and stick 'em where the sun don't shine, because the owner says you can't come into this establishment without a mask!

Yep, that simple. But in the heat of the moment the people who actually are in a position of authority either don't seem to know this, or they don't think of it. Ugh! :mad:

3. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

It's is all very well bitchin' about the current pandemic but we're just getting distracted & failing to prepare for the next.

MikeBravo and Old Mariner like this.
  4. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Good point. Still, it's difficult to prepare for something when you don't know what form it's going to take.

5. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Well, chances are it''ll be a virus & in all probability, it'll be more virulent than this one. It's not a question of how or what but when.

DOGMAN, Zombie_61 and Old Mariner like this.
  6. Edward

Edward Bartender

EWE're due a second and third wave of Covid-19, in all likelihood. If we come pare it to the Spanish/Kansas Flu of 1919, we've yet to se the half of it. Death toll for wave #2 of that was double the first, the third wave a bit less than the first but still high.

In my local supermarket I've yet to see anyone challenged on it or kick off, but in temrs of those who do and don't wear masks, the women who are totally bereft of a mask tend to cary on as normal, whereas its' the men who give off the air of wanting to be challenged so they can feel superior to the "sheep". Ther'es also a third, more sullen version which covers both genders - making a show of wearing a mask tucked under theri chin so they can "comply" if challenged and then pull it off again as soon as out of side. Somehow they annoy me far more. Let's not even get started on those who might wear mask themsevles, but because their brood of six or seven kids that they've brought with them are under eleven (and so don't have to wear one by law in shops and supermarkets, though that will hopefully change as they now have to in school, I believe), they don't bother trying to protect their kids. Who then un around, touching everything.... Germ factories, most kids.

Being heavily tattooed is pretty common across a wide slice of society these days; I think it's only more obvious among some social groupings because they choose to dress in a manner which exposes it more.

It's the aggression I really don't get. Surely if they were as confident in their own rightness as they affect to be, they wouldn't need to scream about it? Unless, of course, they're just aggressive people who welcome the chance of a good slanging match. That type has always been around. I could probably point you to areas of Belfast where this will be happening as I type. They'll be the areas where people used to wear pro-paramilitary t-shirts or symbolism of one tribe or another, and then scream blue murder when the police treated them with suspicion, or when anyone rose to thei deliberate provocation. Irvine Welsh discussed the phenomenon of dressing to provoke in relation to the Begbie character veyr well in Trainspotting, as I recall.

Zombie_61 and Ticklishchap like this.
  7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

We've had a hundred years since the Spanish Flu, and despite assorted lesser pandemics since then, how much did we really learn, as a society, from any of them? Remember Warren G. Harding's slogan in 1920? "Back to Normalcy."

That's America's answer to everything -- to immediately forget any possible lessons learned from any crisis, all the better to go back to consuming lots of shiny junk. "But we don't want to live in a permanent crisis mentality!" Well, why not? We live in a permanent-crisis state, and we will continue to do so until we start learning from it.

seres, Zombie_61, Bushman and 3 others like this.
  8. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

While a lot of people imagine they have "rights" which they don't have, the first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution is not known as the "Bill of Privileges".

DOGMAN and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  9. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

All of those rights, of course, are freely impinged by the private sector. Any employer can unilaterally restrict your right of free speech -- on or off the clock, can search your desk or your computer at will without a warrant, can prohibit the possession of arms on company property, and, I imagine, some boss somewhere has required an employee to put up a company guest at their home whether they like it or not. Given the worshipful reverence accorded the private sector in America, how can anyone possibly complain that a mask requirement is a violation of their rights? If a sign on the door of the store says MASKS REQUIRED, isn't that the final word?

10. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

What strikes me is the aggressor screams about "rights" but it seems like only rights for *them* and never the owner's rights. Some sort of "one way street" here. They seem so concerned and supportive of rights, but are so blinded by their own ego and selfishness that they forget the owner's have rights as well. Nevermind the unmitigated gall to tell owners and those who work at said places what they can and can't do at their establishments. (Yeah...I got a bit "jungian" there, but that's me.)

11. KILO NOVEMBER

The Bill of Rights restricts the Federal government from impinging on the rights outlined there. At the time it was crafted, individual states had far more latitude in regulating the behavior of their citizens than what has prevailed since the 14th amendment. That amendment, adopted following the U.S. Civil War, expanded the protections of these rights so that individual states are also prohibited from violating those rights.

When it comes to private arrangements, such as between an employer and employee, these are ultimately voluntary associations, governed by agreement between the parties. I grant that there is in many circumstances a disproportion of power between employer and employee, but, absent a corrupt collusion between the employer and the relevant government, if an employer requires a standard of behavior that the employee can't abide, he or she is free to end that relationship and those strictures no longer apply.

DOGMAN, Zombie_61 and Old Mariner like this.
  12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

And, Q. E. D., the proprietor of an establishment has every legal right to tell any person "Put On A Mask or Get Out" without it being a violation in any way of that person's rights. Thus it is those who attempt to wrap the Constitution over their face in lieu of a mask are standing on no ground at all.

13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Just escaped from a 5 day hospital stay and thankfully back home. Interestingly the hospital having just been identified as a new Covid outbreak hotspot things were pretty normal. In my observation nothing out of the normal in terms of operations. The biggest change is NO Visitors allowed but that has been the case since March. Masks required when in common areas but not on the wards. They ask you a list of questions prior to admission ....fevers, coughs, loss of appetite etc etc etc. But daily life in the hospital is largely unchanged. Sadly that includes the food. I fasted for the 5 days, drinking only water as I could not abide the food....if the germs don't get you the food surely will. One of the nurses advised me that it does NOT take much to be identified as a hot spot....she said it might have been only the parking lot attendant but that would be enough to be identified as a hot spot.

14. Old Mariner

I have been reading and, if need be, asking questions with regards to surgery protocols due to the pandemic, just so I have an idea as to what I can reasonably expect for whenever I get my final surgery. I know I will be tested, perhaps 2x, and I hope to do the saliva test, but not going to get my hopes up. If it's gotta get done, it's gotta get done.

Ticklishchap likes this.
  15. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Something those of the libertarian (or as I call them Constitutional literalists) mindset tend to forget in all their "It's my right!" screaming is that rights come with responsibilities. I cannot shout "bomb" on an airplane with anymore legality than I can own a nuclear weapon. As the saying goes, your right to swing your fists ends where my nose begins. There are reasonable restrictions to rights, and in the democratic mindset: the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Me tinkering with atomic fission in my basement would put my entire neighborhood (and quite potentially my entire town/county) in danger, so it's illegal. Me making false accusations of explosions in a pressurized cabin with 100 other people is liable to incite a panic, which is not protected speech. The moment your "rights" put other people in danger is when they cease to be a right.

16. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I had two surgeries over the 5 days in the hospital. I was never tested....only had temperature taken and quizzed on symptoms. Really nothing out of the ordinary based on my experience. Biggest change is no visitors allowed at all at any time. It was actually nice as the nurses were relaxed...no added tension....no micromanaging, really just business as usual.

17. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

True, but it probably should be.

Old Mariner likes this.
  18. Old Mariner

I just recently wondered about something and I hope someone can answer this.

In the next county to me going east, there is a hardware store. Now, I don't know if they changed it, but last time I was there, they had a sign that mentioned something along the lines of "by law, we cannot require you to wear a mask".

My question is, if someone happened to get the virus from being there - say a trace back to said store, isn't that just a lawsuit waiting to happen?

19. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Like much of what is liability and what is not this situation is open to interpretation yet to be settled by any manner of precedent. I would imagine the difficulty in law would be determining if in fact the infection occurred in that location....An airborne illness is tough to track.

Old Mariner and Zombie_61 like this.
  20. KILO NOVEMBER

My TV is chock-a-block with ads from ambulance chasing attorney's (i.e., plaintiff's counsel) begging viewers to call in at no cost or obligation for a free consultation on suing some large firm which has capitulated to a class action suit. "You may be entitled to financial compensation!"

A small business may not make an attractive target for these lawyers. But you might find one with enough hubris and desperation to have a go.

Old Mariner and Zombie_61 like this.