How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. earl

earl One of the Regulars

Well, another aspect of this is how the US lets practically anyone walk about packing a gun.

Old Mariner, Feraud and tonyb like this.
  2. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

One doesn't necessarily exclude the other. On the news this morning, every time they commented on the "poor air quality" they were also careful to explain that included the smoke from the fires because the equipment everyone uses isn't set up to determine which particulates in the air are from the fires and which are from the normal causes.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

It certainly would make sense that there would be a connection between a respiratory disease and air pollution which compromises our respiratory system. Two years ago we had a very bad fire season up here and the winds blew south. Our neighbours in Washington state were very mad at Canada for causing the stress so I guess this is payback. We normally have very good air quality here in the city. Once in while we will get an inversion and it degrades for a few days. But our winds normally blow east so all of our city pollution is blown out into the rural valley and our rural neighbours usually have poorer air quality than us.

Feraud and Trenchfriend like this.
  4. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

I see that Allegheny County (southwestern Pennsylvania, surrounding Pittsburgh) is red. I don't understand where the air pollution is coming from. I was born in Pittsburgh and raised in Allegheny County. My great-grandfather settled there on emigrating from Darmstadt in 1859, so I know about the area. When I was born (in the early 1950's) there was a thriving steel industry there. It began to collapse in the 1970's and is pretty much dead now, along with the coal-fired furnaces that pumped smoke into the air 24/7.
    I know that many of my generation fled in what I call "the Western Pennsylvania Diaspora". I can picture it as a hot-bed of COVID, what with the inverted demographic pyramid resulting from the Boomers bailing, but it's hard to imagine it as a hot bed of air pollution these days.

seres, Feraud and Old Mariner like this.
  5. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

The other map, I've shown before, was better:

[​IMG]

Covid19, June
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 7:19 AM
  6. Trenchfriend

265.014 conf. cases, 235.100 recovered (minimum), 9.367 dead, here.

7. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

I noticed my county, Montour, was also red, which has me perplexed.

8. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

more than once someone cut me in queue here just because I kept safe distance following the marking on the floor, or while I keep distance to the person infront of me, someone behind me literally breathing on my neck, and arguing would beat the purpose, so I now try to stand sideway while in queue with one hand on my waist and elbow out at least I have some distance, or if I do groceries I pull the shopping cart/ basket behind me while queuing on the cashier.

Old Mariner and Feraud like this.
  9. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal My Mail is Forwarded Here

Old Mariner and Cornelius like this.
  10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Looks to me like Montana and the western parts of the Dakotas are the places to be

Trenchfriend likes this.
  11. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

It is one thing to question in February or March and wonder if "this thing" is as serious as people are claiming. To stand here in August knowing 200,000 American have died from this disease and attend a wedding, motorcycle rally, or other large recreational gathering is incredibly callous and selfish.

HoosierDaddy and Old Mariner like this.
  12. Trenchfriend

This a Germany-map from March, but it's one of the more useful maps, showing the reality of the spread. Only Bremen, Berlin and Hamburg are not more hotspots, now!

[​IMG]

I'm in a Mark 3 to 5 area.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 5:47 PM
  13. Turnip

Turnip A-List Customer

Only Nordrhein-Westfalen, Baden-Württemberg, Hessen and Bayern represent over the half of total German Population and are the powerhouse of German industry.

[​IMG]

Trenchfriend likes this.