How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Thanks for the firsthand account. Glad you survived it.

I wish I could say that my view of humanity overall has been elevated through all of this, what with the heroic health-care providers’ selfless service to the sick and other displays of human decency, especially in the early days, but, alas, that is overshadowed by the ignorance and callousness of so many of our fellows. If they were risking only their own lives, well, that would be one thing. But they’re endangering everyone else.

Edward, ChrisB, HoosierDaddy and 3 others like this.
  2. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Vancouver winters are one thing. Maine winters are another.

The weather here, greater Denver, is almost schizophrenic. A couple weeks ago we had a 90 degree afternoon followed by snow on the ground the next morning. (It’ll be in the 80s today.) In the six years I’ve been here I’ve seen 70 degree days in January and 80 degree days in February and I’ve seen it snow in late May.

Many an eating and/or drinking establishment has outdoor seating with supplemental heating. It keeps the customers coming, but I’d hate to be the one paying their energy bills.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yep, if you get used to the grey and wet our winters are tolerable. I always say that unlike much of the rest of Canada our winters won't kill you unless you get drunk and fall in a deep puddle.
    My weirdest winter experience other than minus 40 in Alberta was in Houston, arrived in 32 degree F, froze my ass off and woke to 75 degrees that next day. Never experience a 40+ degree swing in a 12 hour span.

4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Yeah, the outdoor dining here has started to dry up already. Temperatures after dark are already scraping the thirties here, and nobody wants to sit at tables on the sidewalk watching their breath condense. Most of our eateries are storefront-type establishments with neither the resources nor the real estate to add any kind of heated winter-front.

Saturday night at the Drive-In show I was wrapped in an army-surplus wool blanket and a lined raincoat, but I was still shivering uncontrollably by the end of the show. Since we're working from an unheated, open-sided outdoor booth, it'll soon be too cold to operate the equipment at all.

5. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

As one who has CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), I recently read somewhere in my internet wanderings, on the Covid 'long haulers', and they mentioned about the possibility of people winding up with this (CFS). Considering, after really sitting down and trying to pinpoint the most likely cause of this for myself (a really nasty flu), I had the feeling that there would be those who would, most likely, wind up with this from Covid. I am not surprised in the least. If anything, I would be more surprised if it did not happen.

Take care of yourself. :)

Benny Holiday likes this.
  6. Haversack

Haversack One Too Many

Regarding extreme swings in daily temperature: I used to do a working vacation every August at a friend-of-the-family's ranch up the Cariboo Highway north of Cache Creek, BC. It would get into the upper 90s in the afternoon and drop below freezing around 2 AM. (The only time I've seen the northern lights).

tonyb likes this.
  7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

This about 5 hours drive north of me and I never realized the northern lights can be seen so far south.

8. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

This sounds very grim. I'm sorry to hear this! There has GOT to be a workaround to the doom and gloom! I just don't know what it is yet.

9. PrettySquareGal

That isn't an option here once the snow falls and the temps are in the teens during the day, and that's for those establishments that can afford to keep things outside with heat until November at the latest. Lizzie is correct that even now it's now too cold to eat outside most days and certainly in the evenings.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

must be strictly a Canadian thing then.

11. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

The authorities seem to want the economical crash, they will get the economical crash.

Germany had a semi-lockdown and can't withstand a second. Our home market is fragile since the start of the Euro in 2002.

DOGMAN likes this.
  12. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I wish I could say that. Just last week we hit 112°F for the high one day, and that night dipped into the upper 60s. Summers keep getting hotter, winters keep getting colder. Climate change?

Benny Holiday likes this.
  13. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

We don't have any consistency with temperatures anymore. Last winter we never saw snow at all until the end of January, and here it is the last day of summer and I've got the heat on. There was frost on the ground when I got up this morning.

14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

global warming I think.

15. PrettySquareGal

Zombie_61 and LizzieMaine like this.
  16. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Pretty much. Like Maine, Chicago winters are steadily decreasing. Snow on Christmas used to be a guarantee, and now it's a wish. We typically don't get measurable snow until the new year these winters. Last year, we had more snow on Halloween than we did on Christmas Eve.
    [​IMG]

Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  17. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I think we may have hit Covid fatigue up here in Canada. My home care nurse phoned this morning prior to coming over to change the dressing. She just asked....."You don't have Covid do you?". I replied..."no". "Good I will see you within the hour" ... her reply. No list of 20 questions about travel, symptoms or contact. I am scheduled for a hospital day procedure tomorrow and the hospital just called....they too asked..."do you have Covid?". That was the extent of the protocol. However our Prime Minister is going to give us a lecture on TV tomorrow admonishing us for our laxness. I don't suspect the viewership will be terribly large.

18. Trenchfriend

Same in Germany. Winter decreasing since 2005.

19. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

I have noticed this where I live as well. The biggest is the winters that have been "winter in name only". Several years back there was a bitter cold winter, and then one after that a year or so later - not as brutal, but still, a good cold winter. Since then it's been really quite mild in my view. Barely any snow, or any decent snowfall. As a result of this, I have actually been changing my wardrobe around so it's more "flexible" with the weather. I still have some clothes for very cold weather, but they are rarely used.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  20. Trenchfriend

280.920 conf. cases, 247.750 recovered (minimum), 9.435 dead.

Only 250 people in Germany are given artificial respiration, actually.

9.000 beds in our intensive care units are free.

Munich is actually hotspotting. ;)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    MikeBravo likes this.