How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

T
    Therefor France got NPP Fessenheim and Cattenom on the border to Germany. :D

2. Trenchfriend

I think so. :)

North-Italy had the bad start, but did a good job afterwards, but now England and Spain seem to be in serious trouble.

Edward likes this.
  3. Trenchfriend

Probably, the modified tuberculosis BCG-vaccination VPM1002 will be launched as an interim solution in the next time, in Germany. Studies are still running.

MikeBravo likes this.
  4. crawlinkingsnake

crawlinkingsnake A-List Customer

Dealing with it.... putting up with it.... doing all the right things.... but it's really pissin' me off!

5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My niece called yesterday to talk about Christmas. She hosts a large family Christmas dinner every year and called to get our perspective. She already had received notice from some that they would not be attending this year and was conducting a survey to see if she should bother.....although she wants to host it as she loves to do it and loves the families all being together. I told her if she was willing to host we would be there. My wife and I decided at the beginning of the pandemic we would be cautious but not fearful and family is as close to a 'bubble' as we have. I went on to say if she wanted to limit it to close and direct family we would understand the exclusion. My niece was thrilled we were willing and it looks like we have enough for a nice family Christmas.....plague or not!

Old Mariner and Zombie_61 like this.
  6. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

I have been pondering and dreading the holidays myself. A part of me wishes they didn't exist. I have a "family" (I use the term very loosely) and at that pretty much only on paper. There is no real closeness or anything of the sort. So, I am presented with *maybe* eating with the mother (if she isn't working at the hospital), or eating with an (older) acquaintance and her family (which is not doing well - inter-family stress that I get the pleasure of hearing about frequently). Since there are not a lot of people, virus concern is not too bad. For me, the biggest thing is feeling "ill at ease" in either choice.

Not looking forward to this...again. Not at all.

7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Latest word here is that our local escalation has been traced to an industrial plant here in town where workers stand side by side assembling equipment used in molecular and DNA research.

The conspiracy nuts haven't latched on this yet, but give them time.

As for the holidays, I told my mother yesterday I won't be down for Thanksgiving this year. She wasn't happy about it, and advised me that if I don't show up for Christmas, I won't have to worry about Covid killing me, she will.

8. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

The good news is that there will be no formal, company run Christmas party I’ll have to put off this year.

9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

You can save an excuse for next year!

10. Trenchfriend

I really hope, that all the thrown away facemasks, that cover our countrside, will not root and grow bushes full of them. ;)

Old Mariner and Benny Holiday like this.
  11. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

None necessary, a „nö“ is sufficient when asked.

12. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

That is a plus....in my 'corporate experience'...no was not an option...peer pressure, "If I have to go and be miserable you have to come too!" Part of the fun though was seeing who got hammered and made an ass of themselves and the subsequent career move.

Old Mariner and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Haha, yes that could have been funny.

Some guys being „fat“ at noon first time, happy slapping, later puking silently under their tables, some new „friendships“ made...

But that’s long time gone.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  14. JustinW

JustinW A-List Customer

I’m only working 5 10-12hr days now and getting two consecutive days off per week, which is nice. We are dealing with a lot more outbreak investigations, which is challenging. Also deeply involved in vaccine allocation, distribution and administration planning - which is exciting. Another 6-8 months before I can demobilise the troops though.

15. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

It has gone bersek here in Pennsyltucky, we're up 1,740 cases since yesterday. That's more than some entire countries.
    Wife wanted to go to a funeral for a family friend in NYC, glad she didn't. We've got enough problems, a bout of it would polish her off for sure.
    Probably wouldn't do me much good, either.

Meanwhile, I'm living in a sea of dog toys, ha, ha.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  16. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

I too live in the "Pennsyltucky" region of PA, and when I was out Friday getting groceries, I noticed a lot more noses out over the masks than previously. I also was told by the acquaintance that I carpool with, that the governor is opening up more, but I haven't looked into that to see how much and whatnot.

For me mentally, this wouldn't be so bad if we had competent leadership. I would endure it with some optimism. Yet this blankey-blank of a nation wide (non)response simply has me enduring with no apparent end in sight. I was thinking of some for imagery to represent this and this is what I came up with:

You're in a vehicle, as a passenger. This vehicle is in a muddy field with fresh manure. The driver thinks that rather than taking time to assess how to get out, decides to play macho and guns it. This only produces the results of getting more stuck and mud and crap is flying everywhere. You want to give some helpful advice to the driver, but since they "know everything", you decide it's not worth your time. So, you sit and wait and wait and wait...all the while they keep doing the same thing over and over and over...expecting a better result. The definition of stupidity. So the vehicle keeps sinking more and more into the mud and manure...

...at some point you just hunker down and wait till something happens that removes them so you can get out and leave.

That's how I feel.

SteveFord likes this.
  17. Trenchfriend

326.309 conf. cases - 277.000 recov. (minimum) - 9.626 dead, here.

18. Edward

Edward Bartender

Ha, yeah.... I'm assuming we won't have one this year - less because of Covid, more because of the squeeze on expenditure being harshly enforced by senior University staff (each of them on six figures, and spending much of their day now quibbling every small departmental expense....). I get on with a lot of my colleagues, so I'll miss it. I actually often have either three or four across different teams, but it'll be nil this year.

We decided back in March when it all kicked off in the UK (when we usually book the flights) that we won't be travelling for Christmas this year. I don't care if it's safe where we are or where we're going - an airport is a perfect breeding ground for this sort of thing and anyone going to or from any where not banned but still in advisable is there. Last year I spent much of the week at my parents' suffering from flu because of an idiot woman on the flight who spend half an hour in the queue to get on the plane boasting about how full of flu she was, but she was all doped up on lemsip so she could travel for Christmas and the rest, and then an hour in the air with all of us in the same metal tube forced to breathe her recycled germs. Damned if I'm going to risk that with Covid. We're basically not going to fly anywhere until there's a reasonable vaccine. As it is, the wife has been advised by her consultant not to take public transport, so we're staying put for the foreseeable. I'll be surprised if I travel again on University business this side of October 2021, unless there's a proven vaccine by that point.

Even if we were to risk the travel for Christmas, our usual Christmas day at my brother's place is unlikely; ten of the eleven of us are over the age threshhold for the Rule of Six, so it's not viable. Some rumour they'll life the rules for Christmas Day, but I still wouldn't risk it.

19. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Old Mariner,
    From correspondeing with friends in Europe I know they're dumbfounded by what's happened here. What the hell happened to the good old USA is what they're saying.
    I'm a little shell shocked, too.
    I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I'll do it over the phone. I remember the doctor saying she thought the pandemic would pass in August and she laughed when I asked "what year"?
    I wasn't kidding.
    It's been hunker down, work at home and collect guitars for me while I wait for the storm to pass.
    My little town seems to view masks as neck warmers in a lot of the stores. You wouldn't think something so simple would have to come with directions.
    We should have been the country to lead by example, not be held up as an example of what not to do.

ChiTownScion and Old Mariner like this.
  20. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The whirlwind? We're reaping it.