How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

My surgeon switched to online or phone post op appointments, and I am certain that will continue into next year. I happened to check WNEP local news site for the information on the governor's changes, and it was about changing the capacity to a percent rather than specific number of people (if I recall right).

When I was at walmart last friday, I noticed quite a few store personnel going around with large carts that had blue storage type containers or crates. Here, it dawned on me that these were store workers shopping for customers and that each crate was an "order". I think that is a good idea because it can then eliminate a number of people from needing to come inside for x amount of time. By the number of crates multiplied by carts that I saw, it was quite a few less "inside shoppers". Same concept has been set up at the Giant store down the street from me.

I had been discussing the obscene crass holiday of consumerism (Black Friday) with the acquaintance that I carpool with. It will be scaled back, because there are only a few, largely discount, stores we want to go to. I am mainly going to see if I can get discounted natural toiletries at TJMaxx and at a discount grocery store. She also wants to go to TJMaxx but also the thrift store. We used to get breakfast at Perkins before shopping in years past, but this time a hot chocolate and a breakfast sandwich from Dunkin up the road from me will suffice. The less "interacting" with any crowds, the better.

tonyb likes this.
  2. JustinW

JustinW A-List Customer

We are moving into the vaccine allocation and distribution phase of operations now. All I can say is that it is a public communication nightmare that will probably feed into every science skeptic and conspiracy theorists’ fantasy.

3. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Of course, in the Eastern Block was BCG-vaccinated until the end. But I wanted to be sure and checked and here it is:

Two days after birth.

But the BCG-vacc is useful for kids and teens at first, not really on adults. And not more after 20+ years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  4. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Not only in the Eastern Block, on the other side of the fence is has been pretty much the same, back in the days when we still had a health system rather than a health market.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  5. Trenchfriend

Loungers, I think these multifunction-scarfs from supermarket are soooooo much better than the usual stupid masks, hanging on your ears! These microfibre-clothes are breathable and washable on normal 40°C.
    I bought a normal weather one and one with winter-fleece. :)

6. Old Mariner

My acquaintance has that type and loves them for that reason. I have the typical light blue disposable ones that many wear, but accidentally found out they can be washed. I wound up throwing one in my wash unknowingly, and it came out just fine from the washer. I simply air dried it. So, I did that with the others that I had used and they were ok too. I was then given more "bundles" (3 masks, sanitizer, gloves) since the mother works at the hospital and now have plenty. I had thought of buying more before I was given those, but now I just have a direct supply line... She also gives the bundles to the patients as well, so if I ever need more, I can let her know.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  7. ChrisB

ChrisB A-List Customer

While nearly everyone here wears a mask or some sort of face covering, I see an increasing number of people walking around with their nose protruding, or the mask down around their chin. This despite the steady increase in the case rate over the past month. Our early success in lowering the case rate has made people complacent. Nevertheless, it appears that the second wave has begun, and hard learned lessons will need to be learned again.

People need to realize that wearing a mask is for the protection of others, not yourself. It is no more a personal choice than covering your face when you cough or sneeze.

My personal opinion is that if you come within 6 feet of me and you are not wearing a mask, I should have the right to act in self defense.

“Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain” - Friedrich Schiller

8. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Astonishingly those who are most vulnerable commit the largest group who seem not to give a sh.t about measures in my town, those white head eagles.
    They enter an atm-room no matter whether maximum capacity is reached, stand right behind you in a line, sit down next to you on a bench you’re already sitting on, don’t wear masks (properly)...

Ticklishchap likes this.
  9. Old Mariner

My acquaintance and I pretty much finalized our plan for Black Friday. We also chose to leave later when most of the crowds will be gone, as the thrift store doesn't open until 9.

As for Thanksgiving, after speaking with her today... it looks even worse now, as her parents and brother may go to visit relatives down south. I told her that she and I can do something perhaps, and sent a text over to see what can be (maybe) done on my end of things. So, it seems as if that's all up in the air.

Did I mention I hate the holidays?o_O

10. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Like the turning of the screw, things are getting slowly worse around here. Numbers are trending upwards. As the days grow shorter and the weather worse, I can almost feel the city slipping into depression. It’s gonna be a long winter. Ugh. My motivation to “keep up appearances” at work is pretty low. Must remind myself how fortunate I am to still have a job. Masks are definitely the new normal, which is good I guess. Still, if you would have told me even a year ago that this is what the world would be like, I’m not sure I would have believed it. As someone once said “Anyone can handle an emergency, it’s never ending uncertainty and worry that grinds you down.” We have actually started slowly increasing our stockpile of TP again, just to be prepared this time. My, I’m just a bouquet of cheerfulness tonight, aren’t I? And it’s not even Wednesday yet. It’s supposed to rain all day tomorrow too.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Benny Holiday, Ticklishchap and tonyb like this.
  11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Maybe, maybe not. A good friend told me earlier today that the WHO confirmed most people who have contracted the Coronavirus had been wearing masks. o_O

JustinW likes this.
  12. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, I read that today as well. Most confusing. I have been wearing a mask when in a shop as it just seemed to make sense. Akin to sneezing into the crook of your elbow to stop the spread. To me a mask seemed like a more semi permanent, more effective elbow crook. But then what the hell do I know?

Zombie_61 likes this.
  13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

But I will continue to wear a mask when shopping......cuz I don't want to risk getting yelled at!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  14. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Same here. I have enough problems without adding "arrested for punching some imbecile who thought it might be a good idea to yell at me about something stupid" to the list.

belfastboy and JustinW like this.
  15. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

The question is, did the person they caught it from wear a mask?

16. Trenchfriend

My father was in hospital again, again test negative.

17. Trenchfriend

Our german dead are averaged 81 years old.

Circa 80% of our infected show now symptoms.

18. JustinW

JustinW A-List Customer

We are experiencing a slight lull in the battle right now (though neighboring states are seeing spikes and significant congregate setting outbreaks). Still a 12 hour operational period, but most of my people are getting two consecutive days off per week now. For the command group, we are ramping up and getting busy planning for vaccine allocation and distribution. I’m thinking less than 12 months to go before the tempo gets back to normal and I can spend more time with my family.

Tiki Tom and Trenchfriend like this.
  19. Trenchfriend

Germany will be bombed with permanent rain for the next three days, So Covy will be swept away. ;););)

20. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

What is your good friend's source of this information? I can't find anything online to confirm this statement your friend made.

tonyb, Zombie_61 and JustinW like this.