How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. I went to Aldi tonight and it looked like a scene from Venezuela or the former Soviet Union. This has clearly progressed beyond toilet paper and Handy Wipes.

20200313_192258.jpg

20200313_192300.jpg

20200313_192331.jpg

20200313_192406.jpg

20200313_192528.jpg

20200313_192748.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    vitanola and Lean'n'mean like this.
  2. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

While there hasn't been any full blown panic buying yet up here in Scotland I did notice that certain items were beginning to be bought in bulk when I went to my local supermarket this morning. The hand gels and soap shelves were getting bare, as were the toilet rolls, pasta and rice sections. The supermarket has put up little signs in these sections stating that you can only buy two of each item now. I guess that the panic buying will also hit here soon. I panicked and bought an extra couple of rolls of toilet paper, just in case! ;)

While I have always kept two weeks worth of spare water and food, I'm now beginning to slowly build up my reserve supplies for a month. Same with my pet food supply. I've also replenished my medication, especially over the counter paracetamol to reduce pyrexia. The 'Men in White Coats' are saying that the peak of Corvid 19 cases will only hit here, in the UK, in about three months' time, but things are moving so fast.

Conflicting views on the internet, but is there a risk of Corvid 19 being passed onto your pets?

Edward likes this.
  3. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Interesting question. This COVID-19 *supposidly* originated from a bat(or bats) in a wild animal food market in Wuhan. The virus then passed onto an intermediary species, a pangolin(or pangolins) before infecting humans. In theory, any mammal might be a host or vector of this particular coronavirus but as yet I haven't heard of any reliable confirmations of cats or dogs having been infected & even The World Health Organization has not received any reports of domestic animals having contracted this virus. It is possible that they might harbour the virus, yet show no symptoms but for the time being, there appears to be zero risk for them. Normal precautions such as washing your hands after stroking, playing with them etc. might be a good idea though if you have medical conditions that put you at risk from COVID-19
    Another coronavirus which we are all familiar with, the common cold, doesn't affect our furry friends at all either. :D

*This was the conclusion of the various ologists & remains plausable.

HanauMan likes this.
  4. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Sorry, but I still love the beginning!! :D

5. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

Thanks for that. I'm not particularly worried about catching Covid 19 off my critter but rather that I could infect him, so that is reassuring to hear.

vitanola likes this.
  6. Edward

Edward Bartender

I'm similarly hoping we're back to normal by July - it would be a terrible shame for my undergraduate kids not to have the option of a graduation ceremony. I didn't fully appreciate my first one, but I've come to the view over the years that it's an important psychological and social ritual.

I would actively patronise a store which put their message across in exactly those terms. ;)

Wonderful Spam (spam, spam, spam...).

Exactly thesame here in London - no sign of panic, just certain productsbeing more popular than usual.

WE've been concerned about the dog this week. Mimi the Wonderdog has epilepsy and a touch of heart murmur, and had a series of cluster-seizures earlier in the week, nowq thankfully stopped. Greta Cat, on the other hand, has doubtless already figuring out what she's going to eat once she has picked our bones clean.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The consensus seems to be that the virus didn't originate from bats being sold as food -- but from food animals sold in Wuhan "wet markets" that had previously picked up the virus from being bitten by the bats or eating food contaminated by their guano. These "wet markets" are open environments where freshly-slaughtered meat from cattle, pigs, and poultry is sold to the public -- sort of an unregulated equivalent of an American farmers' market, only with the emphasis on fresh meat.

So some animals *can* get the virus -- but the evidence so far is that canines and felines are not among them.

vitanola likes this.
  8. Babydoll

Babydoll Call Me a Cab

We live in the city of the US "epicenter". I drive past the Life Care Center going to and from work each day. I work at an elementary school with 550+ kids. Many of those kids live on the same street as LCC. Our school district decided that since there were no confirmed cases of Covid-19 they would continue with business as usual. Just with more hand washing. That was the first week. (Meanwhile, our neighboring district - which is a mile the other direction) who had 26 of 31 schools impacted by the virus (whether it was staff, students, volunteers, parents, relatives, etc.) decided to close all schools & switch to online classes.)

Week two. My co-worker (who meets several of the criteria for someone who should self-quarantine for her own protection) decided to take time off. I filled in for her essential job function of cashiering at the 3 school lunches. That meant handling the plastic lunch cards of all the lunch buyers while trying not to cross contaminate from one lunch to another. Washing my hands 20+ times a day, using "hanitizer" (what my Kindy students call it), wearing gloves, being mindful to not touch my face, practicing social distancing. (That last one is hard when little kids tackle hug you. I started giving them elbow bumps if they insisted on contact, but did not encourage it.)

We received daily updates from our district that they were following State health guidelines for staying open.

Grocery stores have been ravaged. It is like doomsday preppers have taken over. I witnessed a guy clear the shelves at our local dollar store of all toilet paper, napkins, and disinfecting spray. Nearly $100 worth of stuff. Ridiculous.

I cannot find alcohol prep pads for Hubby to use for testing his blood glucose. (I looked on Amazon, and a box that would normally cost $1 at the grocery store was $25 online.)

People have cleared the shelves of rubbing alcohol, peroxide, witch hazel, bleach (laundry kind), hand soap, hand sanitizer (not seen any in stores in 3+ weeks), pine sol, lysol wipes, dish soap, baby wipes. Toilet paper does not exist at the store. Luckily we are well stocked.

Wednesday morning our governor issued a statement telling districts to get ready to close. A couple hours later we got our daily update and it says we are closing until the end of March (district's choice). Then the governor updateed that we are really closing until the end of April.

Hubby has been working from home for 2 weeks. He works for Amazon & they had a confirmed case of Covid-19 at his campus. He is home until at least the end of March.

Lily is to continue using online resources from her district to make sure she does not regress in her learning while out of school.

But here is the gut punch. I got an email from work that I have to report to work every day & help supervise kids in order to keep getting paid. The kids that will need to be supervised are the kids of medical professionals & first responders. You know, the people on the front lines of Covid-19. Kids can be asymptomatic. Kids don't always use the best hygiene. I am scared.

And now I have to leave Lily at home with Hubby, while he is working a job that requires him to hyper-focus. This is not good.

9. Lean'n'mean

Apparently the COVID-19 could not in normal circumstances have fixed upon human receptors without first passing by an intermediary species. Researchers at the Agricultural university in Southern China, after testing thousands of samples from the wild animals, have determined that the virus taken from pangolins shares 99% of the genome sequence with those taken from the patients infected early on with this new coronavirus.
    The boffins from multiple countries are 'debating' whether or not the virus has mutated since it first hit the scene, so far nothing conclusive has been found.

Since the outbreak, China has banned the trade & consumption of wild animals but since it is a multi-billion dollar business, it is likely to restart with a vengeance once the dust has settled, until the next virus comes along that is.

10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have not seen shelving bare like that since visiting the old Yugoslavia in the 1970's. I went into decent sized grocery store and came out with a few packages of Knorr soup mix.....that was all they had save for a few tins of unknown vegetables.

11. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

We're going to see a lot of free-range kids over the next few weeks.

I just got groceries at CVS and little independent grocer and ordered more online. The soonest the online order could get here was Monday, which is fine. I live near a so-called "food desert." In reality, there are about 30 places or more to buy food--and I'm sure all the fast-food joints are open for business). Oddly enough, there was meat, eggs, veg, cottage cheese, chips, dairy, canned goods, TP, etc. in the "food desert."

I wonder how much cash people are spending on doomsday prepping at a time when their income may soon be disrupted.

12. Stay safe @Babydoll

Apparently there is no flour to be had around here . Even at the Amish bulk store. Dang it ... Bobby needs a biscuit.

13. Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

A funny scene from our shopping excursion yesterday. An older gentlemen carrying but two items was trying to maneuver his way around the log jamb of carts at the local supermarket. I wanted to say to him...'just two items? Haven't you been reading the news?" He navigated around all the carts lined 6 or 7 deep at each checkout as he sought out the 'express line' which did not exist. I wanted to let him in front of me but decided not to as I thought I would need to get agreement from the 5 people behind me first. It just seemed like too much bother. For that much trouble he should have at least bought a bundle of toilet paper too!

jonesy86 and Héctor Fernández like this.
  15. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Zombie_61 and Héctor Fernández like this.
  16. Lean'n'mean

It's not surprising the second phase is panic food buying, when you've got 6 months supply of toilet paper & only one week's food, the sums don't add up. :rolleyes:

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. Much of the frenzied food buying has happened in just the last couple of days. I was at Walmart this past Wednesday and it still looked normal. It seems as if the school closures is driving much of this for among the things in short supply are mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, frozen pizzas, and jello and pudding snacks.

The one item that really mystifies me is flour as we rarely buy it normally. It's like everybody's planning to do a lot of baking all of a sudden.

Rmccamey and Zombie_61 like this.
  18. Lean'n'mean

They're planning for a long haul......bread, cake, biscuits, pancakes, pies,even pasta...they will probably have to ask grandma or look online on how to use it though. Once they find out you need to measure it for most recipes they'll likely be a rush on kitchen scales, so get yours now while stocks last.

Rmccamey likes this.
  19. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I think we've passed the point here of "prepping" and reached "looting." At the grocery store this morning, they had to close the public restrooms because some solid citizen had smashed open the locked fixtures and stolen all the toilet paper.

Yes, it's stupid, but how long before people in the grip of delusional mania start breaking into houses looking for supplies? Do we really want martial law?

vitanola and Rmccamey like this.
  20. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I just ventured out to get the green beans I forgot yesterday. The store that was jam packed yesterday was lighter than normal for a Saturday morning./ The shelves were well stocked, I had my choice of cashier with almost no wait. It is looking like yesterday was the peak response and it is back to a relative normalcy at least in my neck of the woods. We have some vitamins to buy so will try Costco on Tuesday morning first thing....that will be the real test. On orders from my wife I stopped off at our local gelato shop.....my wife said if we going to socially isolate it had better involve gelato.